View Full Version : AM I Dreaming? - Week 2 meds DS6

FOCUS_Light
08-30-16, 10:49 PM
I've been on a very long road with my DS6 and ADHD (Inattentive, Hyperactive). I will have to share our journey in another thread. However, after a long battle with my husband who was very opposed to meds, we are now successfully on week two of Ritalin. First week, we gave him 5mg to no effect. Second week we upped it (as prescribed) to 10 mg. BAM! It was like magic. The teacher said that he was the best-behaved kid in class. We could take him to a restaurants. I wasn't having to constantly redirect his behavior. I could breathe. Today, I tried something totally new - an educational workbook. Usually, we are met with kicking, screaming and pure defiance. I did an AB test to see if meds would really help his school work. Firstly, in the AM before any meds, I gave him the workbook. He was totally against the idea. He fought and cried and dragged it out forever. Finally, he finished. Here is a typical picture of his work UNMEDICATED (https://s5.postimg.org/evhvk1m13/IMG_6295.jpg)

Next, I gave him his 10mg and waited a few hours. I asked him if he wanted to do some school work. He was totally for it. Here is a picutre of what he did in less than 5 minutes MEDICATED (https://s5.postimg.org/x9seo0ybr/IMG_6296.jpg).

I feel like I'm dreaming. I know it is still very early in the process, but I am just so happy. I felt I had to share.

Thank you for reading,

BellaVita
08-30-16, 10:54 PM
Wow the difference is huge!

It's so good to hear success stories like these, ADHD kids deserve treatment because it can make their lives better.

Thanks for sharing.

sarahsweets
08-31-16, 04:45 AM
I've been on a very long road with my DS6 and ADHD (Inattentive, Hyperactive). I will have to share our journey in another thread. However, after a long battle with my husband who was very opposed to meds, we are now successfully on week two of Ritalin.
I commented in your intro thread but I am sorry it had to be a battle with your husband to try medically proven medication,and I am glad you are now trying it. A sticky at the top of this section tells my story of medicating my son, try giving it a read.

ADHDWife&Mom
09-02-16, 12:14 PM
Wow that is amazing! I wish that our journey with meds were that easy. We are still working on finding the right one. What you describe before meds sounds very much like my son as well.
Congrats, I hope it continues to go well for your son

Lunacie
09-02-16, 04:42 PM
Some people come here and complain that we are too pro-med on this forum.

But this thread is the reason why we are!

:D for you.