View Full Version : Meds feel weaker

treyxr
08-31-16, 06:43 AM
I have been on adderall XR 40mg extended release for 3 months now. I have noticed that my meds don't give me the same feeling that they used to of razor focus and motivation to do my work. I am aware that this is common, and wanted to know if there is any way of counteracting this so that my Adderall tolerance doesn't go up, and I can feel it again. I am currently taking magnesium threonate which I read increases brain function and can prevent adderall side effects as well as prevents tolerance build up. If anyone has some advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bluechoo
08-31-16, 09:06 AM
Careful, it can be a slippery slope when searching for supplements that increase your medication's effectiveness, and eventually you're searching for ways to potentiate the medication with other medications... When the drug is working to relieve ADHD symptoms, you don't feel anything at all. The peripheral nervous stimulation is what we feel, and that usually is linked to unpleasant side effects that go away after some time (as you described).

What you're describing could actually be a good thing, but maybe you need to rethink your expectations about what the drugs can do for you, in the long-run. It is my understanding that taking the drugs for motivation is not sustainable. The motivation has to come from you, then the drugs will be there to help you do what you already want to do, regardless of being medicated.

The 'razor focus' is also a bit extreme. Without meds, my ability to focus is almost non-existent. I can sit in a lecture, and think "this is interesting material, I'm going to focus on what the instructor is saying!" And the next thought I consciously perceive is the fact that 5 minutes went by since I decided to pay attention, and I have not heard anything the person said... On meds, I can say "gee, interesting topic, I'd like to pay attention!" and rather than having 10% focus, I have more like 90% focus. It's not perfect, and it still takes effort on my part to listen and pay attention, but the meds allow me to exert that effort in a positive direction, rather than just day-dreaming.

It is important to be eating regular, balanced meals, with lots of protein. Make sure to eat a lot of vegetables, at least with 2 out of 3 meals. Regular sleep is important. Getting up earlier seems to help for some reason; it probably has to do with the sun and our circadian rhythm affecting our hormones (I believe the morning sun spikes our testosterone, our natural adderall).

I take a multi, zinc, magnesium, and fish oil before I go to bed; I've been taking this supplement stack since before I was medicated, since I got back into lifting weights. which reminds me: exercise seems very important, at least for me. I start to notice something is wrong if I haven't physically exerted myself in a few days. My mood is strongly effected by exercise, and hence my tendency to just "allow the meds to work."

Little Missy
08-31-16, 09:10 AM
Sometimes a great cup of coffee or espresso does the trick. :)

sarahsweets
08-31-16, 01:54 PM
I have been on adderall XR 40mg extended release for 3 months now. I have noticed that my meds don't give me the same feeling that they used to
This is not at all how you should be judging whether or not your meds work.

I am aware that this is common, and wanted to know if there is any way of counteracting this so that my Adderall tolerance doesn't go up, and I can feel it again.
Adderall tolerance is not that common actually. Many people assume its tolerance because they cant "feel" it anymore. Actually, consistent treatment means you do not experience that feeling, its more of a humming in the backround. Again, you said you are looking to feel it again which isnt the point of medication.

I am currently taking magnesium threonate which I read increases brain function and can prevent adderall side effects as well as prevents tolerance build up. If anyone has some advise it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What you are asking sounds a little bit like you are looking to potentiate your meds- which is very different then having them work as they should.

Joker_Girl
09-01-16, 12:07 AM
If you cannot tell for sure a difference, have a loved one observe you both medicated and not. See if they can tell the difference. It is generally quite subtle as far as feeling anything, but you should notice that you are more productive, able to think more clearly and calmly, and more organized. Still, it will not be perfect, but there should be a noticeable difference in what you are able to accomplish and your general ability to function.

If you consume highly acidic foods, it will make your meds less effective. If you are taking something that increases the ph in your stomach, like Tums, it will potentiate the effects. I try, as a rule, to not do these things...I don't wash my meds down with a glass of grapefruit juice, or maalox. However, if I take my meds and want some juice and hour later, I drink it, and if my stomach is bothering me, I take Tums or whatever. It's not like it makes a big difference, especially if it's not taken together.

For a while, I tried to take l tyrosine with my meds as it is supposed to be neuroprotective and whatever, but I don't worry about it anymore. I am doing good if I get my add med, antidepressant, and blood pressure pill took when I'm supposed to, without a bunch more vitamins and stuff.

There is a lot of factors and I know my meds work better some days than others. If I did not sleep well, am in a bad mood, am sick, stressed, hungry, have an ache, whatever....some days I'm on top of my game and some days I'm not. You have to look at the overall picture, if you are doing better overall medicated than not.

Mark R. F.
09-01-16, 12:42 AM
Back on my adderall and loving it. Older now, found the stock market, love doing what I do now. Adderall been helping me trade better than anything it ever helped me with. Stay exercising is right as dude mentioned. And keep off the booze. Back in the day I thought my adderall was doing more damage than good to me, but I was in denile about me drinking every night. That's what the problem is... but I'd be lying if I said I couldnt drink like a tank on adderall.

But it makes me calm and sharp. When I was a kid before all the add knowledge, the 80s, the doctor had me drinking coffee before bed. Put me out, then up and back to having sugar and bouncing off the walls lolol