View Full Version : I'm new too and totally lost atm

aMused
08-31-16, 04:14 PM
I was diagnosed Monday. I felt a bit high by the 7.5 mg during the testing, and asked they prescribe lower. I hope I'm not too long winded. I was moved by finding this forum and avoiding over sharing in other people's threads, I should start my own.

I can't help it atm, day 1 today since I got my prescription filled last night. I want to hug you all - those sharing their struggle and tips and the vulnerability to both commenters & OPs.

Ok I'm confused by all the different experiences. My treatment center counsellor on my case said I can play with the timing and dose within a 5mg x 2 (morning/afternoon) & 2.5 if I need it at night. (Down from 7.5 x 3 per day, the original suggestion). Thing is their suggestion fits my weight and height and I didn't feel as bad that first day (until I started coming down a quick 3/4 hours later. That was Monday, test day. I got my prescription yesterday (feeling hungover quite badly and anxious down feeling at work :(. Today I waited to see the effect and thought work would be fine. I realized I couldn't control the up and downs, it messed me up during interactions. Being warm/sticky, that buzzed ringing / loose feeling of my arms /legs. Not sure if this is the normal euphoria making me anxious and paranoid cause I'm at work. That is get used to it. If it's a misdiagnosis or if I've gone too low with the dosage.

I'm going to stay home from work tomorrow and decide which route to take but all input is welcome! If you've already posted please share a link I understand if you don't wanna write stuff again. I'm also online reading up for a bit. Thanks so much!

Tosslehoff
08-31-16, 08:35 PM
I've seen this referred to as 'riding the rollercoaster'
I was apparently swapped from Ritalin to Concerta because of this. Who knows, can't remember much.
Anyway, I definitely experience this too. I was taking adderall xr for a while and then my doctors did the health authority dance and shuffled my prescriptions around between themselves. I end up with Dexedrine IR about 5 days ago, and have been experiencing it as well.

Might be worth asking for Dexedrine spansules? I've got no idea how they work in terms of longevity, but I know they're pretty damn short compared to something like Concerta. Have you tried the phenethylamine approach? Concerta dosage can go pretty high, and I read that it's generally 'feel' 'cleaner' than Ritalin. Not entirely sure what that means. Either way, it's advertised as lasting for 12 hours so I guess it depends on your metabolism.

sarahsweets
09-01-16, 04:22 AM
I was diagnosed Monday. I felt a bit high by the 7.5 mg during the testing, and asked they prescribe lower. I hope I'm not too long winded. I was moved by finding this forum and avoiding over sharing in other people's threads, I should start my own.

I can't help it atm, day 1 today since I got my prescription filled last night. I want to hug you all - those sharing their struggle and tips and the vulnerability to both commenters & OPs.

Ok I'm confused by all the different experiences. My treatment center counsellor on my case said I can play with the timing and dose within a 5mg x 2 (morning/afternoon) & 2.5 if I need it at night. (Down from 7.5 x 3 per day, the original suggestion). Thing is their suggestion fits my weight and height and I didn't feel as bad that first day (until I started coming down a quick 3/4 hours later. That was Monday, test day. I got my prescription yesterday (feeling hungover quite badly and anxious down feeling at work :(. Today I waited to see the effect and thought work would be fine. I realized I couldn't control the up and downs, it messed me up during interactions. Being warm/sticky, that buzzed ringing / loose feeling of my arms /legs. Not sure if this is the normal euphoria making me anxious and paranoid cause I'm at work. That is get used to it. If it's a misdiagnosis or if I've gone too low with the dosage.

I'm going to stay home from work tomorrow and decide which route to take but all input is welcome! If you've already posted please share a link I understand if you don't wanna write stuff again. I'm also online reading up for a bit. Thanks so much!

I didnt think they made doses at 7.5 or 2.5. Are you splitting the pills?

emperorpenguin
09-01-16, 12:21 PM
Might be worth asking for Dexedrine spansules? I've got no idea how they work in terms of longevity, but I know they're pretty damn short compared to something like Concerta.

Spansules don't release continuously; they're supposed to be equivalent to taking two equal IR doses roughly four hours apart. So if I take a 15mg spansule at 8AM, I'm supposed to get 7.5mg immediately and another 7.5mg around noon.

In practice, that varies widely between individuals, and even for the same individual, depending on numerous biological factors. But yes, they're not all that long-acting (at least for me). In fact I find them to be a little shorter-acting than the IR Adderall I switched from. For an insomniac like me that's a good thing, as it allows me to dose a little later in the afternoon if I need it. In fact I'm planning to switch to IR dex.

That's not to say spansules aren't worth a shot for OP, just that they do make it more difficult to dial in your dose and that seems to be what OP is trying to do.

aMused
09-01-16, 04:27 PM
Hey thanks for the tips!

I don't know what IR is, I'd seen another post about snapsules I'm guessing those are the gel slow release type capsules.

Mine are tablets (the chalky stuff) called dexamphetamine (didn't notice any brand really). Maybe the mg are different in the US? Here they have 2.5 it turns out. I was meant to get 5 mg but because I didn't want to go that high after the first try of 7.5mg they made the prescription in 2.5mg pills x2 at each dose. I don't have to break 5mg pills in half then.

I'm a lot better today in comparison. I took 2.5 in the morning, it started wearing out around 4 hours later and I was still a tad hyped and anxious as my natural state. So in the afternoon I took 3.75 which worked better but it had a bigger effect when it started wearing out than my morning one. Maybe due to circumstance too. In any case I was relaxing myself but got scared I'd kinda fall apart so I added a small 1.25 mg dose (broke pills anyway). That did the trick and now I feel as calm as I've ever felt. Still some odd sense though, like when you move out of a house and it looks strange empty. My mind being empty is making me look for what I'm used to a bit. Does that mean it's working now and I just need to adapt? Or maybe my dose does need to be slightly higher. I'm just too chicken to mess with it so taking it slow.

How long have you been on these meds?

I have my follow up in a couple weeks so will keep all your inputs in mind to discuss. I can't imagine having to do this balancing act long term...lets see. 🤔 Thanks again!

Greyhound1
09-01-16, 10:29 PM
Hey thanks for the tips!

I don't know what IR is, I'd seen another post about snapsules I'm guessing those are the gel slow release type capsules.

Mine are tablets (the chalky stuff) called dexamphetamine (didn't notice any brand really). Maybe the mg are different in the US? Here they have 2.5 it turns out. I was meant to get 5 mg but because I didn't want to go that high after the first try of 7.5mg they made the prescription in 2.5mg pills x2 at each dose. I don't have to break 5mg pills in half then.

I'm a lot better today in comparison. I took 2.5 in the morning, it started wearing out around 4 hours later and I was still a tad hyped and anxious as my natural state. So in the afternoon I took 3.75 which worked better but it had a bigger effect when it started wearing out than my morning one. Maybe due to circumstance too. In any case I was relaxing myself but got scared I'd kinda fall apart so I added a small 1.25 mg dose (broke pills anyway). That did the trick and now I feel as calm as I've ever felt. Still some odd sense though, like when you move out of a house and it looks strange empty. My mind being empty is making me look for what I'm used to a bit. Does that mean it's working now and I just need to adapt? Or maybe my dose does need to be slightly higher. I'm just too chicken to mess with it so taking it slow.

How long have you been on these meds?

I have my follow up in a couple weeks so will keep all your inputs in mind to discuss. I can't imagine having to do this balancing act long term...lets see. 🤔 Thanks again!
The tablets are IR (instant release). The spanuals or capsules are extended release (ER).:)