View Full Version : Lamictal (Lamotrigine)

spamspambacon
09-01-16, 10:59 AM
I've been prescribed Lamictal.

The doc scheduled a blood test 3 weeks after I start taking it.

The test is with Lab Corp for "716944 Lamictal" (no further details about the test itself).

Does it seem appropriate to be taking a blood test for this med?
Does anyone know WHY the blood test would be done?

sarahsweets
09-01-16, 11:16 AM
Yes. Lamictal can sometimes cause issues with your liver so they need to check your liver enzymes.

Laserbeak
09-01-16, 02:11 PM
Yes, it's supposed to be bad for your liver. So make sure you avoid alcohol and especially Tylenol (anything containing acetaminophen) while you're on it.

aeon
09-01-16, 02:17 PM
Avoid acetaminophen in any case, regardless of what else you may be taking.

spamspambacon
09-01-16, 02:44 PM
How nice that the clowns don't tell me this!

Thank you all!

I've decided to fore go taking the med at all.

Considering it was prescribed by someone in a poofy polka-dotted jumpsuit with 3 big buttons on the front, I'm leery of it.

The blood work referral lists Diagnosis F31.81
I found this and read it:
http://www.theravive.com/therapedia/Bipolar-II-Disorder-DSM--5-296.89-%28F31.81%29

Bipolar II disorder is characterized by high episodes of euphoria and low episodes of depression, together known as hypomania . Hypomania differs from mania in two important respects. While hypomania can affect functioning and quality of life in all facets of life for an individual with bipolar II disorder, it is not as severe as manic episodes, which may require hospitalization. Second, hypomania does not involve psychosis.

Mood episodes are intense emotional states of excitation or depression occurring for distinct periods . An important change to DSM-5 is the inclusion of activity and energy level, as well as mood level in the diagnosis. Under the DSM-5, the mood criterion now includes hopelessness. Specifically, DSM-5 classifies a hypomania episode as the presence of one or more major depressive episode and at least one hypomania episode. The hypomania episode must last for most of the day each day for at least four days. In addition, three or more of the following symptoms will be present (American Psychiatric Association, 2013):

Inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
Decreased need for sleep
More talkative
Subject experience of thoughts/ideas racing
Distractbility
Increase in goal-directed activity or psychomotor agitation, or
Excessive involvement in pleasurable activities with a high potential of painful consequences

The individual will not have experienced a manic episode or mixed episode.
That's not me. At all.

Thank you again for replying.
I was originally thinking of taking it just to see if it helped with my depression any. Scratch that.

Laserbeak
09-01-16, 03:50 PM
OK, I must admit, I had brain fart.

I was thinking of that drug, Lamisil, not Lamictal. Lamisil is used to treat toenail fungus.

Maybe serendipitously I came up with the right advice even though my frame-of-mind was completely off, but I just wanted to say.

Little Missy
09-01-16, 04:08 PM
I've been prescribed Lamictal.

The doc scheduled a blood test 3 weeks after I start taking it.

The test is with Lab Corp for "716944 Lamictal" (no further details about the test itself).

Does it seem appropriate to be taking a blood test for this med?
Does anyone know WHY the blood test would be done?

Because you do NOT want to take it. You have a real appointment in five days. We'll keep you busy until then.:D

Although I do know some people who do very well on it.