View Full Version : Zika Virus — Time to Get Scared?

Laserbeak
09-02-16, 11:17 AM
They have made a 100% determination that Zika is spreading in South Florida through local mosquitos. They've found mosquitos that tested positive for the virus.

They've also found that some cold-tolerant mosquitos native to North America that can over-winter (the Aedes aegypti mosquito is an invasive species) can at least be infected by the virus. They don't know for sure that it can transfer it to humans, but that's only because such testing would be considered medically unethical.

So, let's assume, for a moment, that there are one or more species of native, cold-resistant mosquito species in the United States that can transfer the Zika virus from human to human and maybe other animals as well and the virus leaps to them (which would be almost inevitable sooner or later)...

We then have practically a country-wide outbreak of Zika. Large percentages of babies born in the U.S. — new Americans — are profoundly mentally disabled.

This is an existential threat to our country. I don't see how, if these things are true, anyone could disagree.

aeon
09-02-16, 11:28 AM
Sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Isn’t nature fascinating, even when it is peeing in your porridge? :)

Cheers,
Ian

Unmanagable
09-02-16, 11:44 AM
"If these things are true" is what always keeps me digging deeper, whereas the fears triggered by the headlines alone used to damn near convince me to run for my life. Now I run towards it by being much less attached to what "might" happen and just enjoy the moments I'm given.

The story of them recently spraying in South Carolina for the supposed zika mosquitoes, and having it kill many of the bees, not to mention other living things, along with the side effects of the spray they're using, made me feel ill this morning when I read it. The side effects include:

"Symptoms of Exposure
Symptoms of exposure to naled and all organophosphate insecticides include headaches, muscle twitching, nausea, diarrhea, difficult breathing, naled kills insects by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase (AChE), an enzyme involved in the transmission of nerve impulses from one nerve cell to another. This causes a “jam” in the transmission system, resulting in restlessness,depression, seizures, and loss of consciousness.
Toxicity to the Nervous System
A symptom of exposure to naled that occurs at low doses (whether by breathing, through the skin, or orally) is inhibition of acetylcholinesterase (AChE).
In studies conducted by naled manufacturers, exposure of rats to naled in air at a dose of 0.3 milligrams per kilogram of body weight (mg/kg) per day for three weeks, skin exposures of 20 mg/kg per day for 4 weeks, and oral exposure of 10 mg/ kg per day for 4 weeks caused inhibition of AChE.
Long-term exposure also caused AChE inhibition; reduced AChE activity occurred in dogs exposed orally to 2 mg/kg per day for 1 year and in rats exposed orally to the same dose for 2 years.
In addition, the long-term study with dogs found that doses of 2 mg/kg per day also caused mineralization of the spinal cord.
Naled’s breakdown product dichlorvos inhibits the activity in rats of a nervous system enzyme called neuropathy target esterase.
In experiments conducted by biochemists at the Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (India), doses of 6 mg/kg per day reduced the enzyme’s activity by about 40 percent.
Inhibition of this enzyme causes partial paralysis of the hind legs followed by incoordination.
Toxicity Caused by Breathing Naled
Naled is more potent when exposure occurs through breathing than when exposure occurs through eating contaminated food or drinking contaminated water.
Toxicologists at the University of California found that inhalation was 20 times more toxic to rats than oral dosing (dosing through the mouth) of naled.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) came to a similar conclusion based on tests submitted to the agency by naled’s manufacturer: the dose required to cause cholinesterase inhibition through inhalation exposure was less than 1/6 of the lowest oral dose causing the same effect.
An additional study by the University of California researchers mentioned above found that small droplets of naled (the size produced by ultra low volume sprayers often used in mosquito spraying) were about four times more acutely toxic than larger droplets."

The above information was quoted from the following link: http://nospray.org/naled-insecticide-fact-sheet/

And not too long ago, I remember reading about some type of genetically modified mosquito being released in Florida. Hmmmm......that couldn't have anything to do with recent "outbreaks", I suppose?

I strongly feel many things we so quickly chalk up to being a "natural occurrence" may not be all that natural. Many things are manufactured to appear natural. Just like the things we eat that are labeled as being natural, but are as far from natural as you can possibly get.

However, I'm often labeled and dismissed as simply being a "conspiracy theorist" when I share my thoughts on things like this, so I typically refrain from getting involved. Some days my filter works better than others.

Laserbeak
09-02-16, 12:01 PM
The insidious thing about the Zika virus is that it doesn't kill the host. At most, it's a slight infection. Killing the host, especially as quickly as Ebola, is actually bad for the virus since it reduces the chances the host will spread it. Zika does not have that problem.

It goes after the next generation.

aeon
09-02-16, 01:04 PM
Hey, if you live closer to the equator, your risk of such things* gets higher.

* mosquitos, virii...

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
09-03-16, 04:42 PM
"Strange things happen in hot places", said my mum when she was getting all dramatic.

But, true.

salleh
09-03-16, 05:23 PM
.....The Ebola virus was scary, but not for us .....and because of the way it behaves, and it's fatality rates, I knew the gov't wasn't gonna let that slip in .....

....but the Zika virus ? ...that's a whole different story .....it was just last year that we first heard about it, and the heartrending stories and photos of the babies born who had been affected ....

....and here it is about a year later and we are seeing that virus striking the US ....

It's a lot easier for something like mosquitos to come up a land mass like the AMericas ...than to cross the oceans at their widest point ....I am surprised at how fast it got here ......but our gov't has done f***all about it ....other than the spraying mentioned earlier ...

.....not happy with our government at all these days .....but if I was filthy rich....I'd be fine .....only the top 1/10 of 1% is listened to by politicians these days .....

aeon
09-03-16, 09:33 PM
"Strange things happen in hot places", said my mum when she was getting all dramatic.

But, true.

As true in the tropics as it is in the back seat of a ’65 Caprice Classic convertible. ;) http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Yaisse.gif

Cheers,
Ian

psychopathetic
09-04-16, 02:41 AM
I don't know what it is exactly...but it takes a great deal for me to get scared about these kinds of things...or even to feel much of anything at all.
There's many reason I think I may have a bit of (very high functioning) autism. This is just one of those things.

I just don't care. And I know that sounds heartless and harsh, and I don't know how to respond about that. It just is what it is.
9/11 happened here in the states...and I never did care. Was never scared, annoyed, angry, sad...nothing.
Wars break out. I don't feel anything.
Bombings, school shootings, large accidents (like planes or ships)...on and on and on...I just don't have any reaction.

And some have suggested it's shock. But I don't know. I never really snap out of anything to later feel anything about these kinds of important events. I've still had no emotional reaction to 9/11.

I don't know why I'm typing this lol. I took some adderall too late today and now I feel like I need something to do xP.

I'm not scared of the Zika Virus. Should I be? Maybe. But I just have no emotional connection to it at all.

Little Missy
09-04-16, 08:07 AM
As true in the tropics as it is in the back seat of a ’65 Caprice Classic convertible. ;) http://www.sympato.ch/smileys/Yaisse.gif

Cheers,
Ian

sticky :giggle:

Only scared if I was pregnant. Maybe.