View Full Version : Help the toddles are coming to granny's

meadd823
05-23-05, 02:35 AM
I have reared three wonderful daughters. My "babies" are 18 years old. The last time I had a toddler running about was 15 years ago.

One of my daughters is considering moving down here with us.Of coarse she will be bringing her son (our grandson). He is a good natured child however he is Mr. activity!!!! :rolleyes: Ten fast furious fingers into every thing at once. Gary and I have not had young children LIVE in our home in forever. We are a tad anxious.

Now I remember some things and have already moved the poisons from under the sink to above the stove. Pots and pans are now under the sink. Watching Gary get used to this makes his meal cooking entertainment. I moved knives, sharp stuff, he motions to get knives from drawer only to remember they aren’t there!!!! They are located top of microwave in hard open container. Three circles in the kitchen by fire means "trying to remember location of pots and pans".

His filing system will no longer be able to live on the coffee table!!!! Looking for a file spot in our room which will have to remain closed and locked when we are not in there.I will probably put filing piles next to tool box!!!

Many of the things we have today weren’t invented when our children were growing up. I mean I have found out the hard way cells don’t swim, they don’t swim in portta potties, mop buckets or glasses of tea. They don’t do well in rain storms either. How well do they do as teething rings???? Is there a slobber resistant invention like the clear plastic auto parts stores have on their key boards????

Okay I understand inside locks on out side doors placed high. We live next to busy road. However how does one “toddler proof” a PC???? Our PC is too heavy to be placed high on wall, besides Gary wouldn’t be able to reach it. The door lock will prove frustrating enough for him. Would “toddler proofing" of the PC be done with chicken wire, or do they have “play pens” PC size???

I used a play pen to “toddler proof” the Christmas tree one year. Toddlers kept climbing out of play pen and onto Christmas tree sending it toppling to floor a zillion times. :eyebrow: Our decorations were all non-glass/non toxic. The other children were school age and really felt strongly about the Christmas tree thing.

One day about the zillion and one time of tree toppling I became frustrated and took toddlers and toddler toys out of play pen and put Christmas tree IN!!!!! :eek: Because the tree lived in large full length living room window people walking by often took a double take but hey no more picking up Christmas tree from floor!!! :D The branches prevent toddlers from getting in the play pen with tree so we were even able to put some presents under it. Then the problem came to keeping school age children out of presents. The play pen helped that too in that it slowed them down!!

Any ideas would be nice!!! I am anxious and don’t want to find I forgot some thing “the hard way”

Digitl
05-23-05, 09:59 AM
Hey Tammy, :D

I have one magic thing for you...and it's the word NO. I know i never arrange my house to be childproof really, they did learn not to play in some spots. But i always made sure they had special places just for them, like cupboard space and stuff like that. MInd you i did not have a house full of glass thingy either. But what i did not want them to play with , it was no, and showing them somewhere else where it's ok.

My 2 Canadian cents :)

I have reared three wonderful daughters. My "babies" are 18 years old. The last time I had a toddler running about was 15 years ago.

One of my daughters is considering moving down here with us.Of coarse she will be bringing her son (our grandson). He is a good natured child however he is Mr. activity!!!! :rolleyes: Ten fast furious fingers into every thing at once. Gary and I have not had young children LIVE in our home in forever. We are a tad anxious.

Now I remember some things and have already moved the poisons from under the sink to above the stove. Pots and pans are now under the sink. Watching Gary get used to this makes his meal cooking entertainment. I moved knives, sharp stuff, he motions to get knives from drawer only to remember they aren’t there!!!! They are located top of microwave in hard open container. Three circles in the kitchen by fire means "trying to remember location of pots and pans".

His filing system will no longer be able to live on the coffee table!!!! Looking for a file spot in our room which will have to remain closed and locked when we are not in there.I will probably put filing piles next to tool box!!!

Many of the things we have today weren’t invented when our children were growing up. I mean I have found out the hard way cells don’t swim, they don’t swim in portta potties, mop buckets or glasses of tea. They don’t do well in rain storms either. How well do they do as teething rings???? Is there a slobber resistant invention like the clear plastic auto parts stores have on their key boards????

Okay I understand inside locks on out side doors placed high. We live next to busy road. However how does one “toddler proof” a PC???? Our PC is too heavy to be placed high on wall, besides Gary wouldn’t be able to reach it. The door lock will prove frustrating enough for him. Would “toddler proofing" of the PC be done with chicken wire, or do they have “play pens” PC size???

I used a play pen to “toddler proof” the Christmas tree one year. Toddlers kept climbing out of play pen and onto Christmas tree sending it toppling to floor a zillion times. :eyebrow: Our decorations were all non-glass/non toxic. The other children were school age and really felt strongly about the Christmas tree thing.

One day about the zillion and one time of tree toppling I became frustrated and took toddlers and toddler toys out of play pen and put Christmas tree IN!!!!! :eek: Because the tree lived in large full length living room window people walking by often took a double take but hey no more picking up Christmas tree from floor!!! :D The branches prevent toddlers from getting in the play pen with tree so we were even able to put some presents under it. Then the problem came to keeping school age children out of presents. The play pen helped that too in that it slowed them down!!

Any ideas would be nice!!! I am anxious and don’t want to find I forgot some thing “the hard way”

Nucking_Futs
06-01-05, 11:53 AM
WOW!! that was scarry I hit the wrong key and almost deleted your very entertaining post. :eek:

One of my daughters is considering moving down here with us.Of coarse she will be bringing her son (our grandson). He is a good natured child however he is Mr. activity!!!! :rolleyes: Ten fast furious fingers into every thing at once. Gary and I have not had young children LIVE in our home in forever. We are a tad anxious. The key to remember is that they lived!!!! so you did something right.

Now I remember some things and have already moved the poisons from under the sink to above the stove. Pots and pans are now under the sink. Watching Gary get used to this makes his meal cooking entertainment. I moved knives, sharp stuff, he motions to get knives from drawer only to remember they aren’t there!!!! They are located top of microwave in hard open container. Three circles in the kitchen by fire means "trying to remember location of pots and pans".Kids climb or learn to climb reletivly quickly our son is 1 1/2 and climbs like a monkey so remember to put your meds up out of the med cabinet too. We bought a large filing cabinet that locks were we keep our meds in the top shelf and cleaning products in the bottom and our papers in the middle two shelves.

Many of the things we have today weren’t invented when our children were growing up. I mean I have found out the hard way cells don’t swim, they don’t swim in portta potties, mop buckets or glasses of tea. They don’t do well in rain storms either. How well do they do as teething rings???? Is there a slobber resistant invention like the clear plastic auto parts stores have on their key boards????We have the smallest fold up ones you can get, always keep it on your person and when you take a shower or go to bed place it in a drawer.

Okay I understand inside locks on out side doors placed high. We live next to busy road. However how does one “toddler proof” a PC???? Our PC is too heavy to be placed high on wall, besides Gary wouldn’t be able to reach it. The door lock will prove frustrating enough for him. Would “toddler proofing" of the PC be done with chicken wire, or do they have “play pens” PC size???We have an 8 panel extendo playyard we got from Sears for about $80 until Garrett learned what NO meant it was set up around the computer desk. We also set it up around the Christmas tree lol.

One day about the zillion and one time of tree toppling I became frustrated and took toddlers and toddler toys out of play pen and put Christmas tree IN!!!!! :eek: Because the tree lived in large full length living room window people walking by often took a double take but hey no more picking up Christmas tree from floor!!! :D The branches prevent toddlers from getting in the play pen with tree so we were even able to put some presents under it. Then the problem came to keeping school age children out of presents. The play pen helped that too in that it slowed them down!!If it worked once it'll work again. Just this time wrap the play pen in cheap wrapping paper for added Christmasage.

I'd worry the most about meds, cleaners, outlets and small "toys" a baby can shove into his mouth and choke on. Before Garrett was born we crawled around the house to see what he'd find. Otherwise we left everything in its place and he learned young to not touch certain things. I've found having a shelf or box of toys in the living room for easy access often side tracked him enough to not play with my stuff.

Good luck!!!!!!!
Have fun and remember the most important rule

Love him and be grateful for everyday you have with him.

T-Bass
06-01-05, 02:01 PM
I was that way when younger, my newphew is that way also, I normally tape up the buttons of the PC or what ever you don't want the kid touching, try to disguise it. About the items that are breakable, can't help you there.

Good Luck

T-Bass

Nucking_Futs
06-01-05, 09:20 PM
I do have one hint. we have an old entertainment center that displays some of my Indian collection and we plan on building a new one so I placed duct tape on the bottom of MY toys so Garrett has a hard time pulling them off giving me time to get to him and tell him NO.

Gourmet
06-01-05, 11:48 PM
Futs, thank you for the reminder to Meadd to put away all meds. Even though we all know this, you can't be reminded enough.

A couple of things that my mother has always done.

She uses the hall coat closet as a toy closet......put an old laundry basket in the closet. Fill it with old toys and books, and make sure to include some "non" toys to play with too. An old pocket book, an old telephone, calculator, old remote clicker, keys, flashlights, grandpa's old fishing hat, etc. Make sure to remove all buttons, cords, etc. first. This becomes "your special play space, gary!" :)

She also has a lower drawer in the kitchen where she keeps little surprises.....happy meal toys, sticker books, crayons, junk mail, little bags of gummies, and other small but safe interesting distractions. Baby has his "own drawer".

A small wagon that can hold a few special toys is easy to pull from room to room with you and helps to keep a little one busy as you work around the house.

The little ones know what belongs to them and they appreciate having their own space and it makes them feel special. Make the areas toddler attractive.

I plan to use these "grandmama" tricks when I have little ones again. :D

Keeping a watchful eye is the most important measure of safety in my opinion.

Hope you have a great time with your little guy!

~gourmet~

meadd823
06-02-05, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys, Michael is just begining to get up on his feet. He stands by holding to stuff. If is any thing like his mother it won't be long before he is running!!!!!

I am not too sure how attuned he is to no yet but I am sure he will learn fast. I have considered some thing like a lattice type device to go around PC and some of my floppies, CDs and such. We don't have very many glass breakables and such that are not already on hi shelves or hung on wall. I have not had toddlers living with me in 16 years however I have had Gary!!! Although he doesn't eat poisons any more he propells about much like bull in china shop!!! I never thought that would work in my favor but guess I was wrong.

Nucking_Futs
06-02-05, 07:21 AM
Toddler proof your living room. lol

I know it sounds and yes it even looks very stupid but I moved the coffee table into the window well and placed the couch in front of it to protect little heads. My nephew fell into the coffee table and split his head open an 1"above his right eye. I contemplated moving the table and then thought "what are the chances" well 3 days later Garrett fell into it and split his head open about and 1" above his left eye. Moved the coffee table that day and they really did look like the bosom buddies that they are. lol

meadd823
06-03-05, 03:39 AM
Futs you have such a way of getting your point accross, in a way that make me smile and listen. I you are a riot!!!

The closer it gets the more nervious I feel I have considered putting chicken wire around every thing in shelves and putting bumper pads around every thing else. Locking every thing that opens. Okay that is a stretch but I am nervious I love my grand son and don't want any thing to happen to him especially "preventable things". Gary says I am over reacting. I think he is waiting until the last minute to "react" that is his "way"!!!!

Nucking_Futs
06-03-05, 02:42 PM
I was very careful with Koda and got a little sloppy when Lexi came along. But, when Lexi was about a year old Koda got into Pinesol at the sitters and drank unholy amounts of that junk ya'd think after a few sips the kids would realize it not only tasted awful but maybe stung a little going down. But no he chugs it like he hasn't had anything to drink in a month. He ended up staying the night in the hospital apparantly pinesol is mostly alcohol and he was mighty drunk as the doctor put it. I felt worse when Koda was in the hospital for that then when he was ill with RSV because I could have protected him.

So, you over react, he's safe and you can slowly start to move things back within his reach as soon as the limits are set. I don't bother blocking my computer from Garrett anymore because he knows its mine. But I do have some old key chains and keys and an old keyboard at the floor of my desk just in case he gets tempted these items distract him long enough for me to get there.

meadd823
06-03-05, 06:08 PM
I guess one area of "unknown orgin" is the girls were mine, Michael is my grandson and my daughter is "the mother" (if you knew Samantha as a child this might seem scarier). I guess I worry about "stuff" not only for safty reason but for "conflict control". Samantha is a goos mommie, a tad over protective, but the boundary issues it's hard to tell. The three days Samantha and Michael were at my mothers Samantha spent the first day picking Michael up every time he looked cross eyed. Of coarse this was tiring for her. She finally ask me and mom how "we did it". Like speakers on a stero we said "we didn't children up every five minutes". I mean I believe in attention but I also believe children need "down time", times when they are not being entertained by parents. Samantha responded to that well as soon as we showed her to momie can see child is okay without having to pick him up. Michael cries for all of one minute before he bacame distracted by a cat walking accross the room.

Samantha reponded well then but that was a three day visit, she and Michael will be living here which is a horse of whole other color!!!

I know what you ,mean about drinking ickie tasting stuff!!! When twins were two I would clean frig then immediatly take old food out to trash can in alley!!! One day "daddy" decided to "help me" clean frig. He did good except he DIDN'T take old food out to alley he left it in trash in kitchen. I did not know a thing about it until Samantha started throwing up.

I was like "Ohh my sick baby"

Michelle her twin sister pipped up with "that's what ya get when you eat green winnies. Told her winnies weren't posed to be green"!!!! Michelle immediatly showed me the remainder of green wennies and stated "taste bad, look bad, bad"!!!

So I did have one child with taste buds!!! Samantha check out okay and learned NEVER eat food in TRASH especially if it was the wrong color!!!!!!

Michelle was never much of a "taster" but she loved to POUR!!!! She got a hold of family size bottle of Johnson's baby shampoo, and had a blast watching it pour out of bottle and onto bathroom floor. I saw her too late. I went rushing in and Weeeeee I slid. Michelle thought that was funny until she tried to get up and walk. That bathroom floor foamed up from that stupid shampoo every time I mopped a years later!!!!