View Full Version : Is this normal for ADHD?

momto4incali
09-02-16, 12:33 PM
Hi, I'm new to the group. I have a 10 year old who was diagnosed 4 years ago with ADHD. She has a lot of issues that seem to be more obvious the older she gets and I'm wondering if it's normal for ADHD or not. She can't handle loud noise and will shut down and cry or even tries to get under tables to avoid it. She has a soft bunny she carries around everywhere and is constantly feeling it. She tends to stare at people with this blank stare for long periods of time. She's completely obsessed with hello kitty. She wears hello kitty ears everywhere. Sometimes she will just seem to loose control and have a melt down that is similar to what my 4yo's would do. Crying non stop for up to an hour. I have a call into the Neuropsychologist that originally tested her but I thought I would ask here also.

Lunacie
09-02-16, 02:11 PM
Welcome to the forum! :)

Sounds like she may have Sensory Processing Disorder. Google it.

Something to be aware of is that ADHD heavily affects our emotional sensitivity.

Kids with ADHD are usually about 30% behind their peers in terms of emotional regulation and self regulation. So more like a 7 year old.

And not to alarm you, but both sensory issues and meltdowns are very common in kids with autism. And autism and ADHD often go together.

There is some very good information in the sticky posts at the top of this parenting section, especially Dizfriz's Corner.

sarahsweets
09-03-16, 10:03 AM
Like Lunacie said. It was my first thought when you said what you said. The other thing was possibly something on the Autistic spectrum. I am no doc but my sister who is 26 was diagnosed with Asberger's which is not part of Autistic spectrum disorder.

Lunacie
09-03-16, 11:27 AM
Like Lunacie said. It was my first thought when you said what you said. The other thing was possibly something on the Autistic spectrum. I am no doc but my sister who is 26 was diagnosed with Asberger's which is not part of Autistic spectrum disorder.

Yeah, Asperger's Syndrome is considered part of the Autism Spectrum now.

That changed with the DSM-V edition.