View Full Version : First IEP Meeting - Pre-K

Over&Under
09-02-16, 02:27 PM
My son is 4.5 and is going into pre-k this year. Hes has extreme delays in writing an social / emotional skills. He also has ADHD. He can be very aggressive towards his self, his family, and his school mates and friends. He is often combatative and difficult to work with.

We have gone through all the hoops and paperwork an examinations in order to get to this point. Now, I need to know, what questions should I be asking? What services should I be looking for? What do I need to know? How do I best help him?

He already sees a neurodevelopmental pediatrician for his medication management. We also have a family therapist working with us on behavioral issues.

Lunacie
09-02-16, 03:47 PM
This link may be helpful: https://www.autismspeaks.org/sites/default/files/gp_iep_guide.pdf

This one seems helpful too:
http://www.autism-society.org/living-with-autism/autism-through-the-lifespan/school-age/educational-mandates/individualized-education-plan-iep/

I'm not sure either of these was available when my granddaughter began Kindergarten, she has autism. We read everything we could find.

wrightslaw . com has some great information.

Something I've noticed local special needs parents commenting on this week is transportation. Some kids do fine on the big bus, some may need the short bus, some may even need a para to ride with them. Unless you're driving him yourself?

Over&Under
09-06-16, 06:28 PM
Thanks so much for those sites. The info is great.

If he stays at the school I have him enrolled in (where he went to the 3s class last year), he can't get services at school because it is outside the county where we live and are elligible for services in.

If I have to transfer him to a private pre-k in our county, I would assume that I have to drive him.

If we are elligible for public pre-k (half-day), I would probably still drive him anywhere under twenty to thirty minutes. I don't know if he could handle a bus at all.

Over&Under
09-08-16, 08:23 AM
Ok. We got half day pre-k in a public special ed classroom with a very low student to teacher ratio. He also has multiple measurable subgoals to meet his main goals in fine motor skills and social/behavior skills.

This also gives us access to the parent resource center for additional programs, education and parental training. So, I think I'm happy.

They also seemed really easy to work with and open to modifications as needed.

Tentative :yes: