View Full Version : Oh, the crash!

JLambz
09-03-16, 11:34 AM
I don't know what to do at this point. My 8 year old was diagnosed with inattentive ADD last year (I knew when she was 4) and after a rough first half of the school year, we got her on her first med, Adderall XR 5 mg. My angel was back. She did amazing in class. But when she got home...nightmare fest. Crying uncontrollably, arguing about everything. So we decided to try Vyvanse 10mg. Seemed to be the trick...until the crash started happening again. She is a living nightmare in the afternoon.

I just started on Wellbutrin XL and I feel like the light switch was finally flipped. Like the wires are connecting. Do you think I should try moving her to that? My only concern there is that she REFUSES to swallow a pill. Ugh! This kid...

sarahsweets
09-04-16, 05:01 AM
I don't know what to do at this point. My 8 year old was diagnosed with inattentive ADD last year (I knew when she was 4) and after a rough first half of the school year, we got her on her first med, Adderall XR 5 mg. My angel was back. She did amazing in class. But when she got home...nightmare fest. Crying uncontrollably, arguing about everything. So we decided to try Vyvanse 10mg. Seemed to be the trick...until the crash started happening again. She is a living nightmare in the afternoon.

I just started on Wellbutrin XL and I feel like the light switch was finally flipped. Like the wires are connecting. Do you think I should try moving her to that? My only concern there is that she REFUSES to swallow a pill. Ugh! This kid...
It could be that the adderall was at too low of a dose or that she needed a second dose. Adderall xr isnt meant to last more than 6-8 hours, I get about 5. So if she takes it at say, 7 am, by 2 she would be crashing or at least when she got home she would be, and it can make kids miserable.
I have a resentment towards vyvanse. I wont bore you with those details except to say that its supposed to last 12 hours and IME very RARELY does. She probably needs a booster dose to prevent this. Dexedrine is great for people who do not want to agitation from adderall.

Over&Under
09-06-16, 10:15 PM
My son, 4.5, is on Dexedrine XR 10 mg. We had to go back to a 2.5-5 mg dose of straight Dexedrine between 3 and 4.