View Full Version : We Had An Earthquake!!!

Joker_Girl
09-03-16, 02:38 PM
Probably it's a normal thing for alot of people, but I've never experienced it before.
It's pretty rare in the central US to have an earthquake you can actually feel.
I thought I was dizzy and losing my balance or something. I was at work.

midnightstar
09-03-16, 02:49 PM
Oh my .......... are you okay Joker? Are you safe? :grouphug:

Lunacie
09-03-16, 03:28 PM
It can sure leave you feeling "shaken." (pun)

Apparently it was felt as far north as Nebraska, as far south as Dallas Texas. As far east as Tennessee, as far west as Nevada.

It woke me up and scared my poor dog so bad he jumped in bed with me.

I saw some photos of structural damage in Pawnee. Crikey!

Road departments are checking bridges for safety in many states, including Kansas.

I've felt a few of the smaller ones in northern Oklahoma and soouthern Kansas, but this was very strong and lasted longer.

It was a 5.4 on the Richter scale, and was 4 miles deep.

People don't realize there are fault lines in this part of the country.

This one was along the Humbolt fault and the Nemeha Ridge, which runs up through Kansas just 9 miles east of my home.

TygerSan
09-03-16, 04:24 PM
It's a bizarre feeling isn't it? I still remember the disbelief I felt as we were evacuating my work building after the one in the Mid-Atlantic in 2012. I live in MD not CA.

acdc01
09-03-16, 04:49 PM
It amazes me how the pets know of the earthquakes before we do. Not sure how they do that.

Hope there wasn't any damage in your area.

salleh
09-03-16, 05:12 PM
....According to my info, it lasted a full minute .....that is a VERY long time for an earthquake to last .....the 7.something one that was the NOrthridge quake lasted for less than 40 seconds .....

.....The USGS ( at least I think that is who it is...could be another gov't group....but it's definitely a gov't group) has finally come out and said ....yup these earthquakes are caused by fracking .....

....In many places in the US, not anything near active faults are finding that fracking, when they push the waste water back down into the ground under pressure , is going deep enough and with enough force to seek out and find old fractures in the middle of the North American plate......faults that would have continued to lie dormant for centuries or longer, had not fracking taken place .....

....That's what blows my mind ......1) dormant faults are being re-awakened, and 2) they're in the middle of the continental plate !!!!

.....and what it's doing to the ground water isn't any good either .......

COmes down to our politicians caring and doing more for the big oil companies than it does for we the people and our land ....

this is going on all over the country ...including California ....and frankly, we don't need no more stinkin' earthquakes ....mother nature gives us plenty without help from big oil ....

...I know it must have been a real shock ( pun intended !) for all of you guys who felt an earthquake for the first time ever ....at least a relatively strong one .....the little guys most folks don't even feel ....

....oh and one more little piece of good news ( sarcasm) about re-awakening old fault lines ......we don't know enough about it to know how they are going to behave once they're awake .....from what I can gather from my reading ( and I do a LOT about earthquakes) ....this fracking is just at the start of setting off a lot more earthquakes .....maybe not as powerful as our west coast ones ...but ......

.....the midwest and the east coast are in no way prepared for earthquakes of any kind of sizable strength .....the buildings lots of folks live and work in are brick.....and lemme tell you.....brick buildings fall down sooooo fast ....ka-boom .....facings off building in the downtown areas are gonna go ..crash right down smack on the sidewalks .....

...it's a good thing if you live in a wood frame house .....they are the most able to withstand quakes of all the building materials .....but expect to lose your chimney .....

Aren't ya glad I stopped by ? ....

I'm not trying to scare monger here......it just happens to be a subject that I have read a lot about .....over on Facebook, I get at least 1 article a week about this kind of thing ....and I have read enough that I can even retain much of the info I have gotten ....

I have friends all over the country, and I am concerned for all of you .....

Lunacie
09-03-16, 10:05 PM
What info is saying it lasted for a whole minute?

Some have said it stopped and started again ... aftershocks?

It certainly felt like a long time though.

namazu
09-03-16, 10:15 PM
Here's some info on the quake from the US Geological Survey:
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/us10006jxs

The "Did you feel it?" map there gives a good sense of how strongly and how far away it was felt. I have friends in Des Moines, Iowa (which is not very nearby!), and Ft. Smith, Arkansas, who felt it.

Earthquakes produce different types of seismic waves, which travel through the earth at different speeds. Often people will feel a quick jolt first, and then more shaking as different types of waves arrive. This could give the impression of the quake stopping and starting. Here's an oldie-but-goodie article from the LA Times, "The Feel of a Quake", which explains in more detail. (http://articles.latimes.com/1990-03-02/news/mn-1615_1_rolling-motion)

There have been a number of aftershocks in the 2.5-3.6 magnitude range, which could certainly be "feelable" to people around the source of those earthquakes (roughly, Pawnee, Oklahoma).

Sounds like there was some damage -- mostly stuff falling off shelves, but also some building facades near the epicenter -- but fortunately no major injuries.

Joker_Girl
09-04-16, 11:44 PM
We are fine here, no damage that I'm aware of occurred around us (south eastern Nebraska), but it was weird.
I had bent over to pick up something and when I stood up, I noticed it.is thought I was dizzy or something initially. Then I realized it wasn't just me, and it wasnt stopping.
Totally bizarre experience, hopefully don't see to many more lol.

salleh
09-24-16, 04:11 AM
For the last several earthquakes we've had here....I talking about ones I can feel.....my boy reacts by tearing up .....not crying per say.....not enough tears to spill over....but I can certainly feel them gathering ....

Hermus
09-24-16, 08:44 AM
....According to my info, it lasted a full minute .....that is a VERY long time for an earthquake to last .....the 7.something one that was the NOrthridge quake lasted for less than 40 seconds .....

.....The USGS ( at least I think that is who it is...could be another gov't group....but it's definitely a gov't group) has finally come out and said ....yup these earthquakes are caused by fracking .....

....In many places in the US, not anything near active faults are finding that fracking, when they push the waste water back down into the ground under pressure , is going deep enough and with enough force to seek out and find old fractures in the middle of the North American plate......faults that would have continued to lie dormant for centuries or longer, had not fracking taken place .....

....That's what blows my mind ......1) dormant faults are being re-awakened, and 2) they're in the middle of the continental plate !!!!

.....and what it's doing to the ground water isn't any good either .......

COmes down to our politicians caring and doing more for the big oil companies than it does for we the people and our land ....

this is going on all over the country ...including California ....and frankly, we don't need no more stinkin' earthquakes ....mother nature gives us plenty without help from big oil ....

In the north of the Netherlands we have somewhat the same problem. Those earthquakes are caused by gas drilling. In the 1960s in the small town of Slochteren there was a very big bell of gas found beneath the ground. Since then the 'aardgasbaten' (profits from natural gas) have been a primary source of income for the national budget.

Meanwhile the region where the gas is drilled is dirt poor. Unemployment is high and wages are low. They barely profited from the gas that was being pumped out of the bottom. On the contrary, since the aardgasbaten are statistically counted as income for the region by the European Union they miss a lot of structural funds they would otherwise get, while the profits are not actually going to the population.

In the recent decades as a consequence of the exploitation of natural gas there has been an increasing earthquake intensity. The number and magnitude of earthquakes is on the rise and a lot of people feel it's a matter of time until the 'big one'. Next to material damage that reluctantly is being compensated to a certain extent by the government and the gas company, it causes a lot of psychological damage.

Recently a farmer spoke in parliament who had lived together on his farm with his wife for 40 years. Now his wife had moved out because she couldn't handle the stress of the constant earthquakes anymore. As exhibits he handed out the change of adress cards by his wife. This caused quite a lot of media attention.

Meanwhile the quakes have led to some protests by the population that is fed up with it. Unfortunately these protests are not really making a lot of impression through their small-scaled nature (the area is not very densely populated) and their lack of radicalism.

...I know it must have been a real shock ( pun intended !) for all of you guys who felt an earthquake for the first time ever ....at least a relatively strong one .....the little guys most folks don't even feel ....

....oh and one more little piece of good news ( sarcasm) about re-awakening old fault lines ......we don't know enough about it to know how they are going to behave once they're awake .....from what I can gather from my reading ( and I do a LOT about earthquakes) ....this fracking is just at the start of setting off a lot more earthquakes .....maybe not as powerful as our west coast ones ...but ......

.....the midwest and the east coast are in no way prepared for earthquakes of any kind of sizable strength .....the buildings lots of folks live and work in are brick.....and lemme tell you.....brick buildings fall down sooooo fast ....ka-boom .....facings off building in the downtown areas are gonna go ..crash right down smack on the sidewalks .....

...it's a good thing if you live in a wood frame house .....they are the most able to withstand quakes of all the building materials .....but expect to lose your chimney .....

Aren't ya glad I stopped by ? ....

I'm not trying to scare monger here......it just happens to be a subject that I have read a lot about .....over on Facebook, I get at least 1 article a week about this kind of thing ....and I have read enough that I can even retain much of the info I have gotten ....

I have friends all over the country, and I am concerned for all of you .....

The big problem that humanity is facing is that we have learned to master nature. However, we have failed to design a system that instead of being based on exploiting mother earth is better capable of providing for the world's citizens while leaving enough for future generations. Until we can make a more fair system we are on a path to destruction. The same trends are visible in a lot of places. Whether it's in the US or the Netherlands.

salleh
09-24-16, 08:57 PM
....I did not know that the Netherlands were experiencing earthquakes like this ....doncha love how nay sayers, are all ...no, drilling has nothing to do with earthquakes ...riiiiight .....I did not know you guys had been at it since the 1960s ...

....I do know that the areas where fracking is taking place and earthquakes are new to them....those areas have deep and long inactive faults ....fracking is not causing the fault to rupture....it's waking up areas that haven't quaked in many millenium ....

....the greed of the elites who are sucking everything they can out of everything they can is monumental....putting to shame even the 1890s, and the 1920s .....those folks were pikers when it comes grabbing everything .....this crop boggles the mind ....

Little Missy
09-24-16, 09:26 PM
And I'm living in the area of the Largest Caldera! :eek:

salleh
09-25-16, 10:22 PM
NEar Yellowstone right ?? .....yup you certainly are /......the area is known as a super volcano, capable of changing the climate of the earth for a loooonnnnngggg time......there's one near Italy too ...not sure if and where any others are ....

Lunacie
09-25-16, 10:48 PM
I know our 5.8 quake is small change compared to other places. But this was the first that ever woke me out of a sound sleep. Whoo!

Hermus
09-26-16, 02:30 AM
....I did not know that the Netherlands were experiencing earthquakes like this ....doncha love how nay sayers, are all ...no, drilling has nothing to do with earthquakes ...riiiiight .....I did not know you guys had been at it since the 1960s ...

....I do know that the areas where fracking is taking place and earthquakes are new to them....those areas have deep and long inactive faults ....fracking is not causing the fault to rupture....it's waking up areas that haven't quaked in many millenium ....

....the greed of the elites who are sucking everything they can out of everything they can is monumental....putting to shame even the 1890s, and the 1920s .....those folks were pikers when it comes grabbing everything .....this crop boggles the mind ....

I see you said it was 5.8. In Groningen it's nothing like that yet. Most are of a magnitude between 1 and 2. Some above 3. However, the problem is that they occur multiple times a month and are increasing in magnitude. There is quite a lot of damage to the houses in the area.

We did have bigger earthquakes in the past in the Netherlands though. Not in Groningen, but in Limburg we had one of a magnitude of 5.8 in the 1990s and where I live we had one of 4.5 four years ago. A lot of people I know have felt that one, but I missed it. I only saw on the news a few minutes later that apparently there had been an earthquake in my area.

salleh
09-26-16, 01:06 PM
...Earthquakes are something I have lived with since I was 9, when we moved to California .....I am used to them ....and they still jack my adrenilin up ....they are a rush no doubt about it .....

....But to people who live in an area where there should be little or no activity they are in a lot more danger than those of us in Cal and say ....Japan and ALaska .....our buildings have been built with quakes in mind .....and where there hasn't historically been quakes, the buildings are very dangerous indeed .....every time I went to England, I was shocked at how many buildings were brick ....I kept thinking ....oh my, a quake would wipe out this town .....

...There is one area in the states, the Pacific Northwest, along the Pacific Ocean, that is in huge danger these days and it has nothing to do with fracking, or anything that man does .....it is an area that has enormous quakes, but only every 300 years or so ....and this was just discovered less than 10 years ago .....and by enormous quakes I mean, everything from HWY 5 and points west would be completely destroyed ( all the big cities in that area are west of Hwy 5 ...Portland & Seattle and their surrounding cities) and what the quake doesn't take down, the resulting tsunami will .....much like the one that hit Japan a few years ago with their big quake...

....they have found historical evidence that goes back thousands of years.....pointing to a massive quake every 300 years plus or minus ......and that area was settled well after the last big quake .....no one had any idea this was such a dangerous area....cause they don't have lots of little ones in between like most of the rest of the planet in quake zones .....

....They are trying to take steps to mitigate damage, and arrange evaquation corridors to get people out ...but there are a lot of areas that there's just no hope of getting folks out ....those tsunamis hit within 15/20 minutes of the quake itself .....and none of their building are built using quake technology .....they will just come down ....as if a 8.9 quake hit any northern European city .....and both Seattle and Portland have a slew of skyscrapers .....they're history ......

....H***, San Francisco make me nervous when I go there .....California has long since upped the height allowed for buildings by a lot ( when I was a child California had a 13 story limit to any building ) ....but with new technology in place for buildings in a quake zone, there are 50/60 story building in SF .....and while California has no faults capable of a 9 quake, like the 9.something quake in ALaska on good friday 1964 ( not sure of the year, but it was good friday ...) the ground literally opened up, swallowed buildings, cars and people, then closed up ....and the main street of Anchorage dropped 20 feet from one side to the other ...nd massive tsunamis that wiped out entire villages all along the coast .... anyway ...none of out faults are that big ....we can go to 8.something with our faults, and that's big enough to wipe out a massive portion of any of our cities ....I just don't trust those skyscrapers.....

...Quakes are a big deal around the world....there's nothing you can do to stop them, and there's no way to predict accurately when and/or where they will occur .....and messing with the earth's crust by fracking and drilling is not helping matters ......and we KNOW that fracking and drilling does mess with the crust of the planet .....

...It is beyond stupid to do so ......

Joker_Girl
09-27-16, 01:08 AM
My husband thought he felt one, a really tiny one, like 6 months ago. He texted me at work, and said, "did you feel it?"
And I hadn't, but he said he did, and that it was quite subtle, but that he could swear he noticed the chandelier kind of moving slightly.
It was at night, and I was at work, and I just said, "lol" because, an earthquake? In Nebraska? Lol
But that one, that I felt....there was ZERO doubt about it....I had never felt one before, but once I realized it wasn't me being woozy, I knew that was what was happening.
And just thinking about the kind of area involved....that's a lot of ground. In an area that doesn't have big earthquakes, ever.
And I knew that whatever happened, I was helpless, and there was no escape.
I don't know of anyone who had property damage, no one I know personally around here did.
But much more, and we could have.
My house is big, and wood framed, but made of brick. It's probably fairly tough, and has stood for 150 years. I have felt like it was pretty safe and sturdy, and could hold its own even in a pretty nasty storm.
But that is power like I've never felt before, and even though it was definitely big enough to feel, it wasn't even big, by California standards.
What are we doing to our world?
Surely those who drill know the risks, and what is happening. It's scary.

Lunacie
09-27-16, 08:46 AM
We did have some damage in my area, 130 miles from the epicenter. And it wasn't even a strong one. But yeah, the area affected is freaking huge.

salleh
09-27-16, 05:27 PM
the most unsettled I ever was happened in the middle of the night.....I was out in the garage hand sanding a lovely old solid cherry chest......when one of the big aftershocks of the Northridge Quake came rolling through ......I was sitting on the concrete floor of the garage.....and felt that concrete ROLL underneath me .....just like being on a surfboard with a swell passing under me .....

...I quickly eyeballed the big heavy drill press and tried to figure out if it could hit me if it fell ....nope ....and it didn't fall .....

...the aftershock was only a 4.8 or so ....no biggie out here .....but to feel concrete undulate .....that, my friends was weird !

Lunacie
09-30-16, 09:21 PM
An earthquake advisory has been issues for part of California.

When we have a severe weather advisory here in the heartland, we know the storms will pass soon.

This earthquake advisory lasts for at least two weeks. That sounds stressful.

acdc01
10-01-16, 12:59 AM
Is there a place in the world where we aren't at risk of dying from some natural disaster? Cause all the earthquakes, typhoons, hurricanes,eruptions, etc. That have been happening these days is scary.

phantasm
10-01-16, 01:59 AM
I was just talking to my family tonight about an evacuation plan in the event of an earthquake. Out here in So Cal, it's inevitable. I've felt many, and I don't think I'll ever get use to the ground manipulating my body. I get the worst headaches immediately after one. I think my blood just rushes through my veins to quick then my head feels like it's gonna pop off.

Crap, I'm not gonna sleep tonight. Sigh.....

Uncertainty of it all is very scary. Sorry to hear about y'all in the Midwest and central states. Glad everyone is alright though. It can really mess with your head if you let it. Hugs and Happy thoughts, happy thoughts :grouphug:

Oh and Sallah, sigh.... I know exactly what you're talking about with the fracking. :(

Joker_Girl
10-01-16, 08:19 PM
(((((((((Hugs))))))))
Be safe! Thinking of you! :(
That is so stressful!

Mostly, what we deal with in the Midwest is tornados, which I am terrified of, but my husband is fascinated by. But they don't last long, and usually the path of destruction is relatively small.

Another thing that frightens me is hurricanes, not as much due to the idea of the hurricane itself (although I'm sure I wouldn't like it). It is due to the thought of crazy flooding, or worse yet, tidal waves.

salleh
10-03-16, 12:17 AM
Yah I saw that earthquake warning thing too .....I also noted that they're speaking of a tiny fraction of a possibility that a larger one will hit ....like 1 % ....predicting quakes is a newborn in scientific thought and reality .....they're just starting to give it a try.....there are so many different types of quakes, and reasons for quakes, and the actual ground a quake goes through .....that they are really going out on a limb to predict one .....but every time they predict one for a specific reason ...then a quake occurs as predicted is one step closer to learning how to accurately predict the little suckers .....

...I'm a bit of a planet and weather geek ....I'd be a tornado chaser were I in a position to do that .....and I dearly love thunderstorms ....and am very interested in quakes....anything that is extreme in weather ....

...although ...you would never find me suited up and waltzing waaaay too close to a volcano to gather lava.....them's scary dudes ....