View Full Version : help, is this possible?

pandapam
09-04-16, 08:19 AM
hello im 23 years old and currentlly failing and about to get kicked out of university all thanks to adhd, i got diagnosed, i have one shot to ace my tests, it seemed all great, ritalin 10 mg twice a day worked but each pill only for 3 hours or so, i cried from happiness for the first time ever since i started university, i felt like a normal student, my mind wasn't all over the place, i needed something for longer hours to study, tried ritalin la 30 mg and concerta 36mg, both didnt work at all, concerta only worked once and then nothing, i cant take a higher dosage since im a very small person that's my maximum, how is this possible? aren't they based on the same formula? isn't one of them supposed to work if normal ritalin does? im going to see my doctor soon and tell him, he said he'll prescribe something else if concerta also doesnt which didnt but now i feel so exhausted from trying all of this and it not working and i have limited time to ace my tests i just want to find the right medication for me already

Toss4n
09-04-16, 09:48 AM
hello im 23 years old and currentlly failing and about to get kicked out of university all thanks to adhd, i got diagnosed, i have one shot to ace my tests, it seemed all great, ritalin 10 mg twice a day worked but each pill only for 3 hours or so, i cried from happiness for the first time ever since i started university, i felt like a normal student, my mind wasn't all over the place, i needed something for longer hours to study, tried ritalin la 30 mg and concerta 36mg, both didnt work at all, concerta only worked once and then nothing, i cant take a higher dosage since im a very small person that's my maximum, how is this possible? aren't they based on the same formula? isn't one of them supposed to work if normal ritalin does? im going to see my doctor soon and tell him, he said he'll prescribe something else if concerta also doesnt which didnt but now i feel so exhausted from trying all of this and it not working and i have limited time to ace my tests i just want to find the right medication for me already

Umm 36mg of concerta is no where near 2x10mg Ritalin IR, so you just need a much higher dosage (72 mg I think). :eyebrow: Think 36mg is the equivalent of 1 Ritalin IR pill (Cmax).

EDIT: My bad it was 20mg twice daily that equaled 72mg once in the morning. Would still just say you need a higher dosage.

pandapam
09-04-16, 10:00 AM
my weight is only 48 kilos and that's after gaining weight i'm always moving around between 43-48 kilos, so i think that 54 mg concerta is too high for me right? im sorry if im a bit ignorant about this but im new to being treated with medication for my adhd, plus in addition to the 36 mg not working im getting this weird side effect that i never got on normal ritalin, i dunno how to describe it but it's like "head goosebumps"

spamspambacon
09-04-16, 10:20 AM
I know for Adderall it doesn't matter how big or small you are.

It depends on the brain chemistry, not the person's body weight/height.

So a small child might need 40mg of Adderall whereas a large man might need only 20mg.

Although this is true for Adderall (the med I've taken), perhaps similar dosing requirements also hold true for Concerta or Ritalin?

Toss4n
09-04-16, 11:20 AM
I know for Adderall it doesn't matter how big or small you are.

It depends on the brain chemistry, not the person's body weight/height.

So a small child might need 40mg of Adderall whereas a large man might need only 20mg.

Although this is true for Adderall (the med I've taken), perhaps similar dosing requirements also hold true for Concerta or Ritalin?

It is. Most Drs seem to aim for 1-1.2mg/kg, but some people need much more.

Corina86
09-04-16, 03:26 PM
Why not go back to the short acting meds? I heard that some people simply don't do well on the long acting ones.