View Full Version : ADD and iron deficiency??

RobotInDisguise
09-04-16, 12:44 PM
I guess it's an update of sorts. Over the past few months, a friend kept trying to convince me to get checked for some sort of anemia due to my need to sleep alot. I never really thought much of it since I don't look pale or anything. Anyhow things took a bit of a turn when I felt my vision go black after I guess staying too long in the shower yesterday while my parents were visiting. I did my usual thing which was run out of the bathroom and lie down. This has been going on for quite some time but this is the first time I've been caught I guess. otoh this might be just a side effect of being on that time of the month as I can sleep for up to 12-14 hrs a day during this time anyways and maybe I need some fine-tuning with the diet though I do feel like going for more vegetables is the right choice overall. ikr it's like some people don't like to eat vegetables but I'm more like sometimes have to be forced to eat meat lol. idk what's going on... someoen also brought up the possibility of heart problems. Anyhow maybe if I'm lucky this'll help me get to the bottom fo whatever's going on and maybe get the ADD under control too.

midnightstar
09-04-16, 12:48 PM
Hope you can find out what's wrong :grouphug:

Always good to see our Robot here :grouphug:

Corina86
09-04-16, 03:31 PM
I bleed a lot during that time of the month- a lot. So I actually get iron deficiency (if I take blood tests after my period, it shows) and, possibly, calcium or magnesium deficiency as well. Supplements make a great difference for me during that period, but I never take them for more than 3-4 days in a row. Diet alone simply doesn't cover it for me (I eat pretty healthy anyway). Still, I recommend you see a doctor and get some blood tests done before taking any minerals, since overdosing them can have serious side effects.

acdc01
09-05-16, 10:29 PM
I use to get anemia that time of the month too.

I think Your friend is right. You should get it checked.

Plus anemia can actually be a sign of something more serious going on. It probably isn't anything more serious though anemia by itself is already cause for concern so regardless better off going to the dr.

Cyllya
09-06-16, 12:44 AM
It can be a good idea to get blood work for all kinds of nutrients, if you can. (I'm not sure if it might be more expensive in some situations.)

I get anemia on and off due to a (menstruation-related) health problem I have. I usually only notice symptoms when it gets pretty bad; it's not noticeable to me when it's only a little below the normal range.

and maybe I need some fine-tuning with the diet though I do feel like going for more vegetables is the right choice overall. ikr it's like some people don't like to eat vegetables but I'm more like sometimes have to be forced to eat meat lol.

Lots of vegetables have iron, so don't feel like eating more meat is your only option for increasing your iron intake.

RobotInDisguise
09-16-16, 10:52 PM
I think it could be that I upped my exercise too. I have to admit when I'm not working I'm pretty addicted to pokemon go rn been trying to work out more and now I got a pokemon to walk xD

I guess update on some previous stuff screw the labels I guess they can be helpful in getting treatment but now where I'm at I guess I'm more focused on know my stuff and do it right and I do feel it's dumb that I need a pill to know how to organize stuff and not lock myself out of the house on a regular basis or get impatient with people but I guess I just gotta live with that.

BellaVita
09-16-16, 11:01 PM
I've had my vision go black for as long as I can remember.

And then it takes several seconds to clear up and "evaporate" from your vision right, and you feel dizzy at same time?

I think it's caused by low blood pressure from standing up or moving too fast.

Do you get easily bruised? That might be a sign of iron deficiency. Along with the tiredness you already described. Definitely worth getting checked, or even your thyroid if you haven't had that checked already. And low B12 can make one low on energy. And vitamin D might be worth getting your levels tested for too.

I'm a vegetarian and so I have to get my iron from other sources, I guess.

Socaljaxs
09-16-16, 11:20 PM
I've had my vision go black for as long as I can remember.

And then it takes several seconds to clear up and "evaporate" from your vision right, and you feel dizzy at same time?

I think it's caused by low blood pressure from standing up or moving too fast.

Do you get easily bruised? That might be a sign of iron deficiency. Along with the tiredness you already described. Definitely worth getting checked, or even your thyroid if you haven't had that checked already. And low B12 can make one low on energy. And vitamin D might be worth getting your levels tested for too.

I'm a vegetarian and so I have to get my iron from other sources, I guess.

:goodpost: yes, I am also in the go to the doctor and have them run test...personally I always believe having a doctor run different tests is the smartest route... these symptoms described above are symptoms of many many different possible issues, that range from severe diagnosises to minor occurrences.. I've also learned that what one may considers "normal" may actually not be considered "normal by majority of,the,population"...

This response from bella reminds me exactly why, I won't google diagnosis myself ever again..(not,saying anyone here specially does, just reminded myself of why I won't do it anymore) and now regardless of how much I can't stand what feels like "never ending doctor visits" , the symptoms above can indicate way more severe and not so severe diagnosis beyond or even in combinations of having Iron vitamin D deficiencies. There are Dysautonomia and autoimmune disorders that also have the same signs,and symptoms. I have what is termed as POTS Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, which also carries similar symptoms to the above list.