View Full Version : 1st time on medication at 51

MindfullMess
09-04-16, 01:26 PM
Would enjoy hearing from other forum members in their second half of life on their experiences treating ADHD with medication.

Started this journey as a way to see if I can enjoy greater levels of achievement in all areas of my life...career, relationships, friendships, personal goals, fatherhood, etc.

While I'm not severe in my ADHD challenged (inattentive) when I look back at my life, it's been a series of disconnected chapters that haven't really added up to anything Big, in the sense of This is Me and what I've accomplished. Good times, tough times, some success, some painful failures, but mostly a number of false starts, dead ends, projects and plans never completed. I'm in my 4th career, but considering yet another change.

Married with two teen daughters. Overall, doing my best with this, but I know I could do better, especially as a provider/role model/grounded father/loving husband, instead of years of being consistently inconsistent.

Under the guidance of a psychiatrist, started gradually six weeks ago with methylphenadate. 1 x 5 mgs, then 2 x 5 mgs per day. Moved to Concerta x 18 mgs, now I'm trying 27 mgs. Overall, it's been great for productivity, has improved my ability to communicate with coworkers, complete projects, shift priorities as needed. Doing better with home and family projects. Memory has improved. I have less social anxiety, or rather, I'm enjoying time with people, whereas before I was very focused on the best way to communicate and working hard to be aware of any mental/ behavioral 'quirks' that might make people uncomfortable. Still trying to find that sweet spot. 27 may be it, or I may try 36. Probably not more.

I would enjoy reading about your experiences, success stories and of course, advice is always appreciated.

-MindfullMess

Clilback
09-04-16, 04:40 PM
I'm 46 and recently diagnosed. I tried Straterra but the side effects weren't worth it. Can't do stimulants due to high BP. Dr. gave me Wellbutrin but warned of seizures if I drank alcohol , so I never took it. Not taking anything now but trying to sleep 7+ hours, eat better, exercise (yoga), and exploring mindfulness/meditation. It helps. Wishing you the best of luck in your journey.

Dachshund
09-04-16, 06:44 PM
I remember my second day on adderall very clearly. The first day was intense. Everything felt different, but it was the first day, and I could dismiss it as being on a stimulant.

But that second day...I went shopping. I went for a few specific things. I walked in the store, I bought those specific things, I browsed a moment or two, and then I checked out and got in my car.

Before I turned on the car, I realized what had just happened. I stuck to my list. I had not waffled, debated, over analyzed, etc. Nothing was bought on impulse, even though I browsed. I had made choices! I was 30 years old and realized that I had easily made choices.

I texted my brother-in-law, who also has ADHD, and told him that I made choices! He casually responded, "You went shopping, didn't you? Isn't it great?"

Overall, it just feels like my brain has less clutter in it. There is less noise, noise that was usually doubt and anxiety. It's like the little guys in my brain no longer run around yelling, but rather they all take a number and wait their turn.

Kdawg1
09-07-16, 04:56 AM
Would enjoy hearing from other forum members in their second half of life on their experiences treating ADHD with medication.

Started this journey as a way to see if I can enjoy greater levels of achievement in all areas of my life...career, relationships, friendships, personal goals, fatherhood, etc.

While I'm not severe in my ADHD challenged (inattentive) when I look back at my life, it's been a series of disconnected chapters that haven't really added up to anything Big, in the sense of This is Me and what I've accomplished. Good times, tough times, some success, some painful failures, but mostly a number of false starts, dead ends, projects and plans never completed. I'm in my 4th career, but considering yet another change.

Married with two teen daughters. Overall, doing my best with this, but I know I could do better, especially as a provider/role model/grounded father/loving husband, instead of years of being consistently inconsistent.

Under the guidance of a psychiatrist, started gradually six weeks ago with methylphenadate. 1 x 5 mgs, then 2 x 5 mgs per day. Moved to Concerta x 18 mgs, now I'm trying 27 mgs. Overall, it's been great for productivity, has improved my ability to communicate with coworkers, complete projects, shift priorities as needed. Doing better with home and family projects. Memory has improved. I have less social anxiety, or rather, I'm enjoying time with people, whereas before I was very focused on the best way to communicate and working hard to be aware of any mental/ behavioral 'quirks' that might make people uncomfortable. Still trying to find that sweet spot. 27 may be it, or I may try 36. Probably not more.

I would enjoy reading about your experiences, success stories and of course, advice is always appreciated.

-MindfullMess

Im not quite half way in life, or so I hope I'm not. I am 33 have 5yo twins, wife and I are very busy in life trying to build careers and just all that crap. Just got add diagnosis 6 months ago and started takinf dextroamphetamine, but had odd heart flutter. Then started methylphenidate. And that just was all wrong for me, bad side affects that I couldn't snap out of. 3 weeks passed and I still couldn't breathe well and my heart felt like it was pounding. The docs found nothing wrong with me so I'm guessing it was anxiety. I started taking the dextroamphetamine again but very low dose 5mg 2 times a day. The last 2 months have been great on 10, sometimes 15mg a day. I am happy again in life. My productivity at work is almost 40% better I can talk/help with the twins better. I'm looking into going back to school or possibly starting a business. I now have confidence. The medication really helps me see clear now. I was on a downward spiral having thoughts of self hurt for awhile I was so aggravated at everything and everyone too many distractions. Could not look anyone in the eyes, it was really awkward. I really just love life again im singing in the car, busting my *** at work. It seemed like I always wanted to please everyone and wanted them to succeed over me. Now I'm going to do me, and be the best that I can be.

salleh
09-07-16, 03:03 PM
Want to say a few words about HBP and stimulants ......take something that lowers your HBP and then stimulants are fine ......

...My BP is thru the roof ....some Azor and it's down to normal within 2 or 3 days ....it's under patent, and I don't know any other BP medicine ...not saying there aren't any as good, but this stuff works .....

aeon
09-07-16, 04:11 PM
Im on a blood pressure med due to my mild hypertension, but also because it has
protective qualities for my kidneys.

Paradoxically, Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine sulfate lowers my blood pressure slightly.

---

The quick and dirty:

diagnosed ADHD, primarily inattentive, severe degree, age 41 (I am 47 now).

started on 80mg methylin xr, worked, but not as long or quite as much as I wanted.
changed to 108mg (2x54mg) Concerta, worked very well, but caused anxiety.
tried 40mg Focalin ir (4x10mg), better than Concerta for me, but still not it..
changed to 45mg, then 60mg Dexedrine CR spansules (4x15mg), quite simply magic.

I wish Dexedrine, generic or otherwise, was cheaper. As of late, I tend to go without.

Naughty me has tried to wake up my brain with NOS Zero and a couple of unfiltered Camels,
and though I do light up like an Xmas tree in a way, it really isnt the quiet, cool focus and
awareness that is dextroamphetamine sulfate.

Cheers,
Ian

Stev'o
09-08-16, 10:19 PM
I'm 55. Diagnosed around 15 years ago. Was prescribed Straterra, but it put me in a spacey zoned out fog. I stopped taking it.
Fast forward to about a year ago, I started to feel very run down, more like mentally drained. Really had a hard time managing my day. I lost two jobs. My doctor put me on Adderall. Seems to be working pretty good. It wasn't until recently that I really started learning about ADHD, and how it impacted my life.
I am a manager for a logistics company. But I still feel like my organizational skills, staying on task is good enough. I have been really working at giving myself time limits, lists, using calandars, reminders...

sarahsweets
09-09-16, 01:56 PM
Ive been taking stimulants for over 13 years and they have been a lifesaver for me.

ToneTone
09-12-16, 06:22 PM
I got diagnosed at age 46 and went on stimulant meds at age 46. Certainly stimulants have improved my ability to function and thrive in the world. I've tried Adderall XR, Adderall short term, ritalin short term, Concerta and Vyvanse. (I also take Wellbutrin for depression and I get a little ADHD effect from that as well.)

Each one of these medicines helped and each helped in different ways ... Concerta gave me a ton of energy and get-up-and-go ... Vyvanse helped me plan and meta-plan ... plan to plan ... and see holes in my planning ....and think about how to best plan ... I don't think I had given 15 minutes ever in my life to how best to plan or think about planning my schedule before I went on Vyvanse! ....

Right now I'm on Adderall, which seems to combine (for me) the best of Vyvanse and Concerta ... clear thinking and some energy ...

I would say you want to see this as a journey. No medicine works permanent magic ... and we can undermine the medicines by not getting enough sleep, not eating right, not exercising, living a life of chronic stress, being depressed. My biggest improvements came as I started to plan better, think better ... as I stopped trying to do my job as everyone else does it ... I now focus on how to make my job and my life work with MY brain! ... And I do this without any shame! ... That's probably what the diagnosis really gave me: a way to accept my brain and work with my brain, quirks and all.

One thing that has helped me a lot is therapy ... I recommend therapy for a lot of ADHDers because the medicines do NOT heal the wounds of ADHD or the fears or the memories of past failures ... and it has helped me to a lot to release some of those old negative experiences as I've sought to move forward with my life.

Self-acceptance has been really helpful ... I have a friend I go out to dinner with sometimes, and she's incredibly detailed-oriented ...once we were deciding where to eat after a LONG TIRING day ... my brain was fried ... She threw a bunch of choices in front of me ... I realized my brain wasn't going to get into the weeds of those choices ... so I said, "you pick it. I am good." And she picked a place ... and I was fine! ... I accept my brain so much more than I used to ... and I try to really appreciate the strengths of my brain! ...

Good luck, and welcome ... It's a journey for sure. I would say use the focus you have now to get on top of a really healthy lifestyle ...

Tone

IrishRose
09-13-16, 12:09 AM
I was diagnosed with ADHD primarily inattentive type shortly before my 49th birthday, which means late last year. My doctor started me on Adderall at 20 mg. I was already taking Effexor extended release and I prefer to take my meds once a day if I can, so I liked that I could take Adderall extended release. I'm not good at remembering to take meds later in the day. i am now up to 60mg per day.
@Dachshund, when I read your post, my first thought was I wish the Adderall worked that well for me! I still have so much junk going around and around in my head.
Then I read your message@ToneTone, I haven't read all of the messages on this thread, yet of those I read, yours has helped me a lot. The things you talked about are the things I am trying to work on. Getting back to exercising and eating healthier. Trying to lower my stress levels, not doing too good there at the moment.
And mostly trying to figure out how to work with this rather than struggling with it. I've been to counseling a few different times. But we only discussed current things that were going on. I have not had any guidance on living with ADHD and I have not delved into past hurts and failures. I start back to counseling this Friday and we will work on these issues, or I'll get another counselor.
I found this group because I both need and want to learn to live a healthier, more productive life.