View Full Version : adrenalineepinephrine

mildadhd
09-05-16, 09:39 AM
I'm confused by different scientific terminology appearing to mean the same thing?

Example, are epinephrine and adrenaline the same thing?

Epinephrine, also known as adrenalin or adrenaline, is primarily a medication and a hormone.[3][4]

G

SB_UK
09-05-16, 09:50 AM
I don't like either of them.

They both make me jump.

Greyhound1
09-05-16, 09:58 AM
They are the same thing.
1. Epinephrine is the official name for the hormone that is adrenaline. It is a more common term in the U.S. but the latter (adrenaline) is more accepted in other areas around the globe.

2. Epinephrine is the INN (International Non-Proprietary Name) while adrenaline is the BAN (British Approved Name). The latter is more popular to the most number of people worldwide.

mildadhd
09-05-16, 10:03 AM
I don't like either of them.

They both make me jump.

How about self-regulation and executive function?

G

SB_UK
09-05-16, 10:28 AM
How about self-regulation and executive function?

G

bleughhh!!

Most people lose self control in one sense or another when made to jump.

Executive function ?
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/85/7a/0e/857a0e50d93b145464a00edf6de8f693.jpg

SB_UK
09-05-16, 10:28 AM
I'm confused by different scientific terminology appearing to mean the same thing?

Example, are epinephrine and adrenaline the same thing?

G

Perhaps it's best not to ask so both of them go away.

SB_UK
09-05-16, 10:32 AM
I think the theory is - is that as we grow to :-) hate them we develop sensitivity to them - which represents the opposite of 'resistance syndromes' - which generally - thyroid, insulin and leptin resistance syndromes are bad things.

Biology's main trick is negative feedback or tolerance.

We're meant to become sensitive - life (imagine Malkovich's puppet master tipping fat and carbs directly into his head) - currently - does the opposite.

It wasn't me - it was my executive function that did it.

SB_UK
09-05-16, 10:41 AM
I haven't any real problems with calling executive function (decision we make) an expression of implicit logic borne through the decisions we make -
of living life towards either neuro- endocrine sensitivity (personal quality acquisition) or resistance (addictive pursuits).

So - we pursue addiction and EF will puppet master us into eating more chocolatey pudding and cigarette ash vodka surprises - but pursue sensitivity through asceticism and the underlying sensitivity in our neuro- endocrine systems will insist on another path.

EF is a silly construct.

We can backtrack it into the backbone of wholesome physiology of homeostasis of negative feedback.

-*-

Medicine currently consists of physiology and pathophysiology - but if we make the right choices and choose physiology (sensitivity) - then we'll not need to do the horrid bit where we wear white coats, stroll around sick people and learn the names of all manner of awful, preventable diseases.
(cos they'll no longer exist)

And soon after shaping a world around the journey towards physiological sensitivity - the medic will no longer be required - and we'll all be able to take a 5,000 year in the making - vacation down by the sea.

With our small pouch of self- cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil from our co-operatively owned oive grove - pounding the sand in an ultra-marathon -fest whilst dreaming of where next we shall be.

mildadhd
09-05-16, 11:17 AM
How about "the SEEKING system" and "the brain reward system"?

G

SB_UK
09-05-16, 11:39 AM
How about "the SEEKING system" and "the brain reward system"?

G

There's a human lifecycle from start to wisdom ie a developmental trajectory <- SEEK
And dopamine appears to be nature's motivational aid. <- REWARD SYSTEM

We can either develop resistance (addiction) to reward/stimulation by making the wrong choices
or
sensitivity to reward/stimulation via morality to wisdom.

The wrong choices are a little difficult to see as you're confronted by the - are better seen with hindsight after overcoming their allure (at state wisdom).

Better still - all hands to the deck in education delivering a thinking man's moral mind - and all problems will subsequently dissipate - as the subjects of addictive allure cease to entice, are no longer made available in your local 7-11 24-7.

SB_UK
09-05-16, 11:46 AM
I think the core point is that we're interested in the list of terms you've mentioned in this thread - because they've been associated with disease.

However - if we can prevent the diseases from occurring - then our interest in these terms will wane.

There'll still be a reward system and a noradrenephrine and a SEEK and a genome and a connectome - but we won't be so hung up on them if they're working.

It's long been known that scientists have to hang their hats off some disease to get funding - drop the disease and the nature of biomedical research will change unimaginably - perhaps wholly eliminated.

I think that any true medic, true policeman can see that a world in which they're unemployed is the world which they'd wish for - since there're be no sick people or criminals remaining to be rounded up and prodded.

Think car - nobody cares about a car when it's working - it's only when it's broken that we're exposed to greasey people who tell us that 'it's gonna' cost ya' love' ... ... which to be fair is an apt description of clinicians in the private sector.