View Full Version : My proffessional concern

Stev'o
09-05-16, 09:26 PM
I am concerned that I have reached the highest level I can reach, due to my organizational abilities, as well as being able to get things done.
I have been really zoning in on all kinds of tips/tricks to help organize myself. But at this level, I worry that to go beyond my current level, is , well, beyond my level. Having said all this, I will continue to identify my weakness's, and identify areas to improve.
But it's hard, time intensive, and a very high degree of organization, to conquer this.

WheresMyMind
09-05-16, 09:41 PM
I am concerned that I have reached the highest level I can reach, due to my organizational abilities, as well as being able to get things done.
I have been really zoning in on all kinds of tips/tricks to help organize myself. But at this level, I worry that to go beyond my current level, is , well, beyond my level. Having said all this, I will continue to identify my weakness's, and identify areas to improve.
But it's hard, time intensive, and a very high degree of organization, to conquer this.

Been there, done that.

Started thinking about what I do well rather than what I don't do well, figured out how that can help an organization and made a sideways shift...doubled my income in 3 years, although my title didn't change.

Mr. Prickles
09-05-16, 10:23 PM
I'm an engineer/scientist in an R&D position. I finally had to tell my boss that I was not interested in management, that I do not have an aptitude for it, and they would be better off allowing me to focus on new ideas and problem solving. It was the smartest thing I did. Everyone is different, but that amount of distress I was having trying to organize and manage a large project just wasn't worth it.

Stev'o
09-05-16, 10:47 PM
I'm a manager. My next advancement would be facility manager. I've been doing this for almost 30 years. Should be a "natural" next move.

Tetrahedra
09-06-16, 12:35 AM
Could you make a lateral move, and then move upward from there?

Stev'o
09-06-16, 08:00 AM
Not at this time.
My boss took another position, I applied for his position.
Unless I was to move out of state, which I do not want to do, there isn't many opportunities.

WheresMyMind
09-06-16, 11:24 AM
I'm a manager. My next advancement would be facility manager. I've been doing this for almost 30 years. Should be a "natural" next move.

Who says it "should be" a natural next move?

You can only manage two things:
* People
* Projects

And, you don't really manage people, you manage their work.

People-management, by its very nature, is fuzzy. ADHD types often do reasonably well here, because deadlines usually aren't hard. But we often chafe at the thought of doing another person's annual review - the method approved in the US is horrible, demeaning and creates competition between people who are supposed to be working together.

Project management is the art of trading off effort/expense, completion time, and scope. Within a tech organization, it's usually done wrong, because nobody is willing to reduce scope, and they're demanding that the deadline be met. By definition, a "project" is an unknown, and it is not possible to accurately predict time and cost. So, if you want predictable time and cost, you have to be willing to start pulling features out of the product so it can be done more quickly - which high-tech management usually does not allow.

Facilities management could be real estate, maintenance, upgrades, what have you. Could be project or people or both.

Will it require you to be more organized than in the past? If that's your struggle, just tell management that you don't think it will take advantage of your best skills. And, if "organization" isn't your best skill, what is? Most upper-level types will say that if you're not organized, then your key contributions are probably focus and/or creativity, but this may not be the case for you.

WMM

salleh
09-06-16, 02:16 PM
.....WWM ....zowie ....that really puts is down ! .....I am impressed .....

the thing I'd like to contribute is a book ...."The Peter Principle" ....sometimes, nay often in corporate America, ( we are most prone to do this of all the countries) ....people get promoted past their place of where they are not only the most comfortable, but where they have the most ability......like a great teacher could easily be promoted to principal, and those are 2 very different jobs.....a great teacher does not mean they'd be a great principal .....

....The thing is....here in the US ...you are taught from childhood that you should try to rise as far as you can possibly go in your field ....this ain't nesessarily the best thing you can do for yourself ....cause if you are then in a job that you can't do .....not only you but anyone under you suffers .....

.....The not so funny thing is that it works both ways .....on your way up so to speak, you may be stuck in a level that you aren't built for ....because you don't do that job well....and it's because you are meant to be in a management situation instead .....or some such thing depending on the structure of your company .....and then you are stuck at that level being ineffective and living a very frustrated life ....

stef
09-06-16, 03:56 PM
this is so true!
my friends younger brother is in medicine, and management, and he just wants to go back to pure medicine but ppl assume that his ultimate goal if hired for research, is to run a department.

Stev'o
09-06-16, 09:29 PM
WMM, very good points.
In my current role as a manager, is to manage day to day operations, this is personnel and shipping receiving. About 10 - 15 people.
I've been doing this part for about ten years.
I hyper focus on ways to be more organized (not on company time).
Of the things I would say are areas I "withdraw" from, involve being able to get everyone together for meetings, when we are short staffed; and very busy. Trucked have to be loaded and unloaded. So, my decision to not hold meetings, and keep everyone working, is a problem. Meetings need to take place. How I organize/prioritize my time, I feel is debilitating.
But, I can dig into production data that illustrates major deficiencies to our process's. I lose a lot of time gleaming this information. This information needs to be shared with the staff. So there is my cycular conundrum.