View Full Version : Are you just unmotivated when it comes to applying for jobs?

vivinator
09-06-16, 02:12 PM
I am. Anything that involves more than attaching a resume and typing a brief cover letter. When I was on Vyvanse it helped me get through job applications. Although since I don't have ADHD I wonnder if I could justify going back on it. Filling out lengthy job applications is annoying, especially since I have so many short-term temp jobs.

Tetrahedra
09-09-16, 04:09 PM
Oh yes, I hate applying for jobs, and it seems that within the past few years, the process has become harder. Not only do you have to include a resume and cover letter, but you have to fill out supplemental forms online, most of which include everything your resume includes, but it normally says not to copy and paste. I dread them.

acdc01
09-10-16, 02:25 PM
Yes, it's my second biggest weakness.

It's caused enormous suffering too cause I stay in jobs I don't want for ages because of it.

It has gotten even harder as the years have gone by and I literally cannot apply for jobs anymore. I'm not sure how it isn't a struggle for others. It's like how do you get yourself to apply for something you truly don't want in the first place?

TurtleBrain
09-10-16, 03:21 PM
I know right? I have multiple different versions of my resume to save me some time. It's also hard to stay motivated in even the search for jobs, especially when getting applications ignored or being rejected soon after being interviewed.

When I lose interest in job hunting, play pc games or watch gameplay on youtube (it's more of the latter).

Goofycook
09-17-16, 03:48 PM
I hate applying for jobs. I'm lucky in that when I've switched jobs I don't have to apply multiple jobs. Plus the time between jobs get longer and longer and my job now is ADD friendly in that people don't pick me apart because of my ADD symptoms. Its becomes a viscous cycle people pick at you for making mistakes and then your ADD symptoms become full blown. So the answer to the question is I hate applying for jobs.

one other question for Vivinator why were you taking Vyvance when you dont have ADD and why you on this sight?

sarahsweets
09-17-16, 04:25 PM
I am. Anything that involves more than attaching a resume and typing a brief cover letter. When I was on Vyvanse it helped me get through job applications. Although since I don't have ADHD I wonnder if I could justify going back on it. Filling out lengthy job applications is annoying, especially since I have so many short-term temp jobs.

Why is it that you say you dont have adhd? Were you told by a doctor that you dont have it?

vivinator
09-17-16, 08:08 PM
I hate applying for jobs. I'm lucky in that when I've switched jobs I don't have to apply multiple jobs. Plus the time between jobs get longer and longer and my job now is ADD friendly in that people don't pick me apart because of my ADD symptoms. Its becomes a viscous cycle people pick at you for making mistakes and then your ADD symptoms become full blown. So the answer to the question is I hate applying for jobs.

one other question for Vivinator why were you taking Vyvance when you dont have ADD and why you on this sight?

I was diagnosed with it but I am doubtful of the diagnosis since, looking back on it I may be wrong about some of the DSM symptoms that I fit. Honestly, I'm on this site because I like that it has a lot of traffic. Plus I do feel I have some problems with concentration even though I may not be ADD.

vivinator
09-17-16, 08:10 PM
Why is it that you say you dont have adhd? Were you told by a doctor that you dont have it?

Noone has told me that I don't have it but as in the post before I was dx'd with it probably in part due to the DSM symptom symptom list that I filled out, and looking back on it, I just don't see myself fitting enough symptoms for a diagnosis. Perhaps I should try for a second evaluation.

vivinator
09-17-16, 08:28 PM
I originally started off on 18 mg of concerta up to 54 and 10 mg of Lexapro. My original dx in 2008 stated that I have multiple anxiety disorders but I doubt those as well. That was for a month or two. I think the Lexapro made my problems with lateness even worse. I remember the psychiatrist asking me if I could take in (what an instructor was taking in for a class) and I said I could even though I couldn't. Then 50 mg of Vyvanse 20 mg of Lex. Then 20 mg of Lex due to the fact that my father said I seemed more depressed but that was just the Lex making me duller. Then back to 10 mg of Lex I think. I then asked to go up to 60 and then 70 mg of Vyvanse. I remember waking up feeling dull for a few weeks. So (not by sanction of my psychiatrist I stopped Lexapro cold turkey). I then went through withdrawal but at some point I found myself cleaning my room and stuff like that. Helped me study as well. I went through a bunch of other combinations. I think I was hooked on the 70. There are some after effects of Vyvanse like I'm faster now and can do dishes. Right now I'm on Effexor XR and Vraylar (an antipsychotic) Suffice to say again maybe I should get a second evaluation. I did go to a place for neurofeedback and remember being told that I was probably on Vyvanse due to slow processing speed.

My 5th grade Neuropsychologiccal evaluation says I have brain injury. I went to 2 places for neurofeedback (although I only got neurofeedback from 1 place) They did their QEEG brain mapping and on both evaluations it said that I likely had brain injusry. I've had 2 Head MRI's but they both came up normal though MRI's don't always detect brain injury.

unpsychable
10-06-16, 03:38 AM
I can relate to it very well. I am very good at making a resume every once in a while, setting up employee accounts in many places but my determination to write custom cover letters is ZERO.

The good thing is, I don't stress on it. I am satisfied with employers who can find employees that have time ONLY TO SEND 'half-***' responses. Don't custom write anything unless you think it's absolutely interesting. Just my two cents.

EuropeanADHD
10-12-16, 12:30 PM
Yes, I hate it. I also make plenty of stupid mistakes and feel like a failure when I discovered I sent an application with an error.

If you currently have a job, my advice would be to send applications before work, not afterwards. This makes it slightly easier.

Good luck!

diagoro
11-04-16, 11:32 AM
Yes, it's my second biggest weakness.

It's caused enormous suffering too cause I stay in jobs I don't want for ages because of it.

It has gotten even harder as the years have gone by and I literally cannot apply for jobs anymore. I'm not sure how it isn't a struggle for others. It's like how do you get yourself to apply for something you truly don't want in the first place?

wow, surprised to see this here, but relate 100%. I think part of my problem is trauma related. I've been in and out of work the last 15 years. Especially around 2007. Had been working for family a few years, it didn't look like real employment on my resume, and know I was passed over numerous times. Even employment agencies wouldn't help me. In the end it was a main factor in a failed relationship, which nearly led me to being homeless (if it weren't for the last minute help from a friend).

So now I've been at my current job for 4+ years, and terribly frustrated as it's a low-paying position, I'm having major issues with the work atmosphere (light give me migraines and employer wont help), and have major conflicts with one specific co-worker (I do the work, he sits around).....and yet, I can't get my butt moving and apply for jobs.

I will say, the application process is a pain in the rear now. Like someone noted here, it's not just filling out an app and attaching a resume, it's the lame hour long personality test, it's the extra essay, etc. Takes 90 minutes for each job. And if it's anything like before, 90% if the applications never result in a call back. Really, in the end it's who you know....

Yeah, I can relate, all too well.

finallyfound10
11-04-16, 12:17 PM
I HATE applying for jobs and I really need to get out of my present one. There is a job that I want to apply for but can't get it together enough to do it.

I think it's a nasty mix of procrastination and low self-esteem that leads to paralysis.

Job fairs may be better for me in that you hit a lot of employers at one time and aren't expected have to a cover letter.

Jenn1202
11-28-16, 10:56 PM
For me it depends on the day. Some days I'm extremely motivated and other days I'm sooooooo unmotivated that I get absolutely nothing done. I'm currently off meds so I have nothing to motivate me, but having the TV on in the background seems to help to some degree.

castalia
11-29-16, 05:59 AM
I am a postdoctoral scholar and academia is one of those areas where rejection is common. When I got my PhD, I used to apply for 30-40 positions only to get rejected (there were about 400 candidates for each of these positions). The odds of landing an academic job are at best about 10% even if you meet all of the criteria in the job description.

In the past couple of years, I have applied for maybe 10-15 jobs. I already have a postdoc but it is for 9 months so once I set foot in a new job I have to apply again. Not to mention that one has to wait at least 3 months to find out whether he/she has been shortlisted and will be interviewed.

Most academic job applications are bogus anyway. The committee already knows who they are going to hire (usually an internal candidate or a favored external they know well) but it is illegal to not advertise a position and go through the procedure of shortlisting and interviewing candidates. So basically most of us are wasting out time applying and/or interviewing for most of these positions. This is one of my biggest pet peeves and I am sure it happens in non-academic fields as well. It is called the "fake job search".

EuropeanADHD
11-29-16, 02:19 PM
I am a postdoctoral scholar and academia is one of those areas where rejection is common. When I got my PhD, I used to apply for 30-40 positions only to get rejected (there were about 400 candidates for each of these positions). The odds of landing an academic job are at best about 10% even if you meet all of the criteria in the job description.

I know all that so well... That's why at some point I decided to give up and search for a job in business.

But back to the subject of applying, in my case it's not about being unmotivated. It's more about hating being rejected. It doesn't matter how often I repeat myself that getting rejected is normal, I still feel awful when I get a thank-you-but-no-thank-you email and the thought I still have stay in my current job makes me sick.

stef
11-29-16, 03:33 PM
It becomes my obsession, but only when I'm so unhappy in a job that I MUST leave.
i used up spoons i didn't even have, in 2002. i was in a terrible workplace harassment situation. i was applying and interviewing , with shattered confidence.

( note though that this was when the economy was much better and i was qualified for positions. still,i think it was one of the hardest things i've ever done)

EuropeanADHD
12-02-16, 07:34 AM
It becomes my obsession, but only when I'm so unhappy in a job that I MUST leave.
i used up spoons i didn't even have, in 2002. i was in a terrible workplace harassment situation. i was applying and interviewing , with shattered confidence.

( note though that this was when the economy was much better and i was qualified for positions. still,i think it was one of the hardest things i've ever done)

And how did you manage it/ find something?

stef
12-02-16, 08:05 AM
I was not in Paris yet
i had no choice
at the time there were many positions for "bilingual assistants" (which is what I am); and law firms were expanding and desperately needed qualitifed staff (i didnt realize this until i actually started the job)

There was a newspaper/website for English speakers, it had ads, mostly i went through that. I finally found a good recruiter who listened to me and found me an interview. after many applications and 2-3 not great interviews it went very well and it struck me that the HR person was actually encouraging me to accept the job. they were desperately short staffed.

as i said though this was a dream world for employment in 2002, compared to now.