View Full Version : Overly conscious of everything except what's important - is it ADD-PI?

Obsessive_ADD
09-09-16, 02:20 AM
I am terribly inefficient at college course work, I put in tremendous effort for things that are easy for others. I don't really struggle with getting constantly distracted doing other things, my problem is I pay attention to the wrong things with great intensity. How am I holding my pencil? Why is the teacher writing like that? How is the teacher walking? What marker are they using? Is that comma I just wrote, neat enough? Am I going outside of the margins in my notes?

..but what are they talking about? No idea.

Despite writing notes down frantically as the teachers writes on the board, I typically have no idea what's going on and have to break it all down after class.

Does this sound like ADD-PI or something else? I'm very aware but unaware of what's important; this is particularly bad in unfamiliar contexts such as intro classes. Other people seem to automatically zone in on what's relevant but may be unaware that their teacher wears the same shirt to every class meeting.

sarahsweets
09-09-16, 01:52 PM
Are you on medication?

Fuzzy12
09-09-16, 01:57 PM
I struggle with that too. I fund it really difficult to filter important information from unimportant info. Even when I know theoretically what's important I can't necessarily focus on it. The kind just goes where it wants to go.

By the time I've finished pondering crap like the neatness of a comma I've lost track.if what's going on which makes it more likely that I'll continue focusing on crap. It's a vicious cycle.

I yhink your method of writing it down and later analysing it is a good one even if it might not be the most efficient way. I don't know anything better though.

Medication does help with this.

aeon
09-09-16, 02:03 PM
Medication helps (me) greatly with things like this, but for sure, if I was in class, I would also make use of my audio recorder.

http://img8.nokaut.pl/p-9f-65-9f655a730aa90cf09ba7bbaf84bcc186500x500/sony-icd-sx712.jpg

Cheers,
Ian

Corina86
09-09-16, 05:13 PM
Paying attention to the wrong things and being distracted by the wrong things is the same thing. I suspect in other situations you don't care about how a person walks or how they use the marker- this just something your brain uses to procrastinate on the important and difficult tasks, like listening to the teacher. As for remembering what happened in class, I think you'd be better off trying to pay attention to the explanation and write things down only as a means to focus on the words. I used to copy my classes from colleagues. They also had much nicer hand-writing than mine. Or maybe a tape recorder might help, but, personally, I'd never have the patience to listen to a recording.

Little Missy
09-09-16, 06:11 PM
When I went to college I was a note taker and was paid to make copies of my notes for other ADHD students. You may want to ask if you can get on the notes list and then you can think about commas or whatnot and have a nice warm set of notes straight off of the copier.

DJ Bill
09-10-16, 08:06 PM
Sometimes I see a lot of the same traits in me as in that detective that is compelled to straighten the pictures in a room, Monk I think is the show..

Even when other stuff is waiting I'll take the time to clean a sink or toss the garbage out...Or straighten the rug out again from the most recent cat war.

Or pick cat hair off my clothes.....

I'm just strange, I guess.:lol::D

And I think people would pay me to NOT take notes for them. My notes always made perfect sense while the teach was talking but the next day I'd look at them and only remember the doodling I was doing...the notes were useless..

Little Missy
09-10-16, 10:02 PM
Sometimes I see a lot of the same traits in me as in that detective that is compelled to straighten the pictures in a room, Monk I think is the show..

Even when other stuff is waiting I'll take the time to clean a sink or toss the garbage out...Or straighten the rug out again from the most recent cat war.

Or pick cat hair off my clothes.....

I'm just strange, I guess.:lol::D

And I think people would pay me to NOT take notes for them. My notes always made perfect sense while the teach was talking but the next day I'd look at them and only remember the doodling I was doing...the notes were useless..

I did have a few that couldn't quite understand my notes, but they were so copious I just told them to pick out the relevant stuff!:lol: