View Full Version : Anyone an Engineer?

Obsessive_ADD
09-09-16, 02:25 AM
If so, what parts of your job are most and least impacted by ADD?

Impromptu_DTour
09-09-16, 03:04 AM
<< embedded systems engineer major

most impacted by adhd:
>> executive function and prioritization
>> patience and attention to detail
>> emotional engagement, regulation and coping strategies
>> organization and clutter
>> that ever present tendency to horde.. like.. pdf's, books, old homework.. and never come back to master that material.
>> needing to perfect my environment for success (ie.. lets stop calculating multiplexers and decoders, and go to amazon and price out full size wall blackboards)..
>> I need workspaces.. committed to specific types of tasks.. (ie: programming and software engineering, electrical engineering and hardware modification, study and research, alcohol and intoxicants.. )
>> LISTS!! .. lists... what a lie. give me a reason to micromanage.. i will micro(^2)manage
>> psychological and emotional exhaustion.

least impacted?
<< sitting.
<< honestly i didnt prepare for this part of the question.. i thought this was all about impact.. lol

Lloyd_
10-20-16, 08:40 PM
<< embedded systems engineer major

most impacted by adhd:
>> executive function and prioritization
>> patience and attention to detail
>> emotional engagement, regulation and coping strategies
>> organization and clutter
>> that ever present tendency to horde.. like.. pdf's, books, old homework.. and never come back to master that material.
>> needing to perfect my environment for success (ie.. lets stop calculating multiplexers and decoders, and go to amazon and price out full size wall blackboards)..
>> I need workspaces.. committed to specific types of tasks.. (ie: programming and software engineering, electrical engineering and hardware modification, study and research, alcohol and intoxicants.. )
>> LISTS!! .. lists... what a lie. give me a reason to micromanage.. i will micro(^2)manage
>> psychological and emotional exhaustion.

least impacted?
<< sitting.
<< honestly i didnt prepare for this part of the question.. i thought this was all about impact.. lol

Was it easy for you to get that engineering job? I'm interested in getting my EE degree, more specifically industrial electrical and drawing out electrical print diagrams for construction jobs would be something I'd be most suited for.

Impromptu_DTour
11-05-16, 07:53 PM
Was it easy for you to get that engineering job? I'm interested in getting my EE degree, more specifically industrial electrical and drawing out electrical print diagrams for construction jobs would be something I'd be most suited for.

im still in school.

if you're good at what your taking, getting an internship will be cake. getting that experience will make the jobs all but guaranteed. we have the fbi, project-x, nasa, etc.. data management companies working with human genome projects, all kinds of stuff come through here all the time. the school that im at covers an incredible amount of material across a broad spectrum for my embedded systems degree.

id imagine that you're always going to be able to find work with an ee job.. though you might have to move for it depending on what it is. i mean its always going to depend on demand.. and for industrial electrical.. i really cant estimate.. but defiantly get the degree to be good at what the degree means, not to have the degree. and for any engineering program, be prepared to work your *** off and suffer for it.

iDTour

Lloyd_
11-08-16, 06:18 PM
im still in school.

if you're good at what your taking, getting an internship will be cake. getting that experience will make the jobs all but guaranteed. we have the fbi, project-x, nasa, etc.. data management companies working with human genome projects, all kinds of stuff come through here all the time. the school that im at covers an incredible amount of material across a broad spectrum for my embedded systems degree.

id imagine that you're always going to be able to find work with an ee job.. though you might have to move for it depending on what it is. i mean its always going to depend on demand.. and for industrial electrical.. i really cant estimate.. but defiantly get the degree to be good at what the degree means, not to have the degree. and for any engineering program, be prepared to work your *** off and suffer for it.

iDTour

I have a background and currently am working as a sparky so as an EE hopefully having that practical field knowledge will help me with designing/drawing out prints for construction projects but I would love to get into more industrial electronics and motor control design.

Embedded systems would be another option, I'm into audio recording and building audio recording equipment so getting to work on digital equipment and learning DSP would be daunting but an awesome feat.

Lloyd_
11-08-16, 06:23 PM
im still in school.

if you're good at what your taking, getting an internship will be cake.

It will be cake as long as my daily tasks, assignments are directed in written form, I'm terrible with verbal instructions but give me detailed lists of information I need to process that doesn't require me to work in a group setting then it's on! :D

What coping methods do you apply to keep yourself from ******* off your superiors due to your ADD?

distracted3737
11-08-16, 08:12 PM
I have a background and currently am working as a sparky so as an EE hopefully having that practical field knowledge will help me with designing/drawing out prints for construction projects but I would love to get into more industrial electronics and motor control design.
dude we're the same person...

it occurs to me however that the skills required to be a good sparky aren't exactly the same ones that make good engineers. i was in engineering school in years past and found it much easier than apprenticeship. so far i'm a lousy electrician!

embedded systems sounds more compsci? you wouldn't find that a bit far afield?

Lloyd_
11-08-16, 08:46 PM

it occurs to me however that the skills required to be a good sparky aren't exactly the same ones that make good engineers. i was in engineering school in years past and found it much easier than apprenticeship. so far i'm a lousy electrician!

embedded systems sounds more compsci? you wouldn't find that a bit far afield?

You're right it's compsci with knowing electrical theory on the micro electronic level such as microcontroller circuits and such. More specifically Digital audio equipment in the recording studio domain.

Lloyd_
11-08-16, 08:52 PM

i was in engineering school in years past and found it much easier than apprenticeship. so far i'm a lousy electrician!

What did you find easier about being an EE over being a sparky? What makes you think you're a lousy sparky? Not good at troubleshooting? I'm ok I guess with troubleshooting and wiring up devices properly but terrible at the mechanical aspects (bending pipe, building racks, etc...anything to do with building what some illiterate Joe six pack wants you to build.

Jenn1202
11-28-16, 10:43 PM
I used to be a software engineer and I did relatively well when I was medicated. There were still ADD related challenges, such as planning and time management issues but I generally found ways around them. At some point I got sick and couldn't tolerate my meds anymore so I ended up quitting my job and the meds (software engineering requires wayyyy to much focus). I'm pretty useless without meds...

I tried working part time and lowering the dose to the point where I could tolerate the meds, but then the meds weren't effective enough and I my body was still barely able to tolerate them. I was really struggling to get my work done even though I was only working half time. At some point I gave up, quit my job and went off my meds to give my body some time to heal. Now that I'm off stimulants I can't do anything related to software engineering, so for the time being I'm trying out other careers and doing the best I can to fix my health.