View Full Version : No School Day ... Flood Day!

Lunacie
09-09-16, 06:32 PM
https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14237724_10210554719333942_1531800215263924900_n.j pg?oh=c7fdad59d70e134aa55206dd8880da8e&oe=583E79B5

psychopathetic
09-09-16, 07:28 PM
(((((((LUNSY)))))))

I'm glad you're okay!

midnightstar
09-09-16, 07:29 PM
(((((Funacie))))) :grouphug:

Lunacie
09-09-16, 08:47 PM
I'm so glad the mommy heard on the car radio that school was closed today.

All roads into and out of the city where Nove goes to school were closed by the flooding.

She might have tried driving thru if if she hadn't known there was no reason to try.

She didn't get the electronic notification about school being closed for some reason.

The driver was sick today, otherwise we'd have been waiting for the bus to come.

No one was even at the school to answer the phone apparently.

Little Missy
09-09-16, 08:51 PM
I have not seen or read or heard A Thing about this. Keep your boots on!

Maybe Google will tell. :confused:

Holy Moly! Its bad!

Lunacie
09-09-16, 09:05 PM
Yeah, it's raining again. :eek:

Thunder and lightling all night last night, and we're getting that again too.

Power and lights just dimmed.

Nove and I just stayed home today. It's not flooded in our town, but about anywhere we would go sure was ... and is.

One town nearby was flooded a week or two ago. Not recovered from that yet and now it's flooded again.

Little Missy
09-09-16, 09:10 PM
I am shocked that this flooding seems to be a non-issue :eek:

aeon
09-09-16, 09:19 PM
I am shocked that this flooding seems to be a non-issue :eek:

Hey, if it ainít on the coasts, it ainít cool. :rolleyes:

From my time in Oklahoma, life there is a lot more interesting, and weird even, than anyone on the coast could even hope to imagine. :p

---

Maybe I can look back on it fondly because I was only there a year, and I was living with an ex-girlfriend and her lesbian lover, who had poorly-managed bipolar disorder, and all of that combined with many cats, a rabbit, and the joy that are mockingbirds made life interesting and at times, a pleasure for me.

Cheers,
Ian

Lunacie
09-09-16, 09:31 PM
It's not big news because no one has died this time ... so far. Last time there were two deaths when cars were swept off the road by flood waters.

Anyway we're used to being ignored. There wasn't a lot of news coverage 8 years ago when a 2 mile wide tornado destroyed 95% of the small town where I grew up.

But ... it looks like I may have tempted fate ... or there's just too much water already in the soil to absorb any more. I said it wasn't flooded here in our town, but my daughter just ran to Walgreens and said she drove through some high water just a block away. Hope we don't float away in the night (mobile home).

Little Missy
09-09-16, 09:47 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZbrnXl2gO_k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Little Missy
09-09-16, 09:50 PM
whoops...:eek: I forgot it is Kansas. I hope the rain quits soon for you!

aeon
09-09-16, 11:09 PM
Lunacie, I hope you can stay high, and stay dry.

That came out funny, but you know what I mean.

Best Wishes,
Ian

Lunacie
09-09-16, 11:45 PM
whoops...:eek: I forgot it is Kansas. I hope the rain quits soon for you!

It's the thought ... the wind smells sweet when it comes behind the rain. :grouphug:

The local news tonight (Wichita) is telling people to stay home. There have been a lot of high water rescues again this evening.

It's supposed to clear off for the weekend ... but ... yep, rain in the forecast for next week.

No surprise, it's state fair week and it always rains for the state fair in Hutchinson.

Lunacie, I hope you can stay high, and stay dry.

That came out funny, but you know what I mean.

Best Wishes,
Ian

I almost wish I enjoyed being high ... it might make the weather related migraines easier to bear.

Sometimes I can sleep through them. Other times it feels like my pillow is filled with rocks, or one big old brick. Funny, it was fine last week. :scratch:

Unmanagable
09-10-16, 12:01 AM
Stay safe over yonder, luna. Sending some sun dance energy your way. May you get some pain free slumber in between the nerves being frazzled.

Lunacie
09-10-16, 11:24 AM
:yes: Woke up to sunshine and a dry street outside my window this morning.

I know it will take some time for the rivers and creeks to go down though, for the actual flooding to recede.

I hope that happens before Monday so Nove can go back to school.

She's supposed to go to Respite Care this afternoon, but that's on a dirt road so I hope I can get her there.

:thankyou: everyone, for the good thoughts and lovely sunshiny wishes.

salleh
09-10-16, 01:16 PM
the one thing I miss about not having a TV here in Cal is the weather channel .....at least they pay attention to the midwest ! ....as a matter of fact I get miffed a bit cause they spend so little time about the west coast, even when there's weather happening .....( it does happen here ...it ain't often, but winter can mean lots of rain and flooding here too )

and Lunacie, I was born in Lawrence, and spent all summer in Valley Falls ( between Lawrence and Topeka) every summer until I was 9 ....so is that northeast area getting flooded out too ?? ....

My heart cries for Kansas when it comes up in the news so often with your stupid hateful gov'nr Brownback ......the woe he is wrapping on my lovely state breaks my heart ....

The fact that you have been about to get the education you have for your granddaughter is kind of miraculous considering the horrendous cutbacks he has instigated in education ......

Lunacie
09-10-16, 01:29 PM
the one thing I miss about not having a TV here in Cal is the weather channel .....at least they pay attention to the midwest ! ....as a matter of fact I get miffed a bit cause they spend so little time about the west coast, even when there's weather happening .....( it does happen here ...it ain't often, but winter can mean lots of rain and flooding here too )

and Lunacie, I was born in Lawrence, and spent all summer in Valley Falls ( between Lawrence and Topeka) every summer until I was 9 ....so is that northeast area getting flooded out too ?? ....

My heart cries for Kansas when it comes up in the news so often with your stupid hateful gov'nr Brownback ......the woe he is wrapping on my lovely state breaks my heart ....

The fact that you have been about to get the education you have for your granddaughter is kind of miraculous considering the horrendous cutbacks he has instigated in education ......

Nope, it's only south central Kansas dealing with the deluge.

One street in Wichita went from 4 inches to 4 feet of water in only 15 minutes. Swept a car over a 100 feet nearly submerging it.

( 4 feet of water is up to my boobies! )

An SUV was swept off the road into a creek and landed upside down. The news are still trying to find out if anyone was injured.

Between 7 pm and 7 am this morning, there were nearly 50 cars reported submerged in the city.

People living near rivers and creeks in the country have been evacuated by boat ... one woman rode one horse and led another across the flooding to safety.

It's been a crazy wet summer for this area. We've had three drownings from people boating/kayaking or playing on the river even before these rains.

This is so unusual for this part of the state.

And yes, I feel like I'm holding my breath that funding won't be cut for this wonderful autism classroom at this wonderful school. Everyone knows my granddaughter and says hi to her. I hate living in Brownbackistan. :mad:

edit ... I forgot Kansas City had some flooding last weekend. But then KC often has flooding. Thankfully it wasn't in the area where my granddaughter moved in June. Miss her so much! She's sharing an apartment with 3 boys, one is gay like her, one is adhd like her. One bedroom apt. Reminds me of when I was young.

salleh
09-10-16, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the update Lunacie ! ....I guess those low rolling hills of the northeast save that area around Lawrence and Topeka .....and KC is right on the MIssouri River isn't it ? ....big rivers WILL flood at some time or other .....

OH yes the first shared apartments and houses of our youth .....so much fun .....our next door neighbors were just out of Berkeley when they rented the house .....I do get a kick out of their constant coming and going and parties and friends ......sigh ....my younger years were just so much dam*** fun ! ...and i miss having the energy that I once did ....nowdays ....it takes me 2 full days to recover from doing a show whether 1 or 2 days ....I am barely capable of doing a small sink of dishes afterwards .....and forget getting any actual progress made going forward .....I barely tread water for those 2 days ....

Lunacie
09-10-16, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the update Lunacie ! ....I guess those low rolling hills of the northeast save that area around Lawrence and Topeka .....and KC is right on the MIssouri River isn't it ? ....big rivers WILL flood at some time or other .....

OH yes the first shared apartments and houses of our youth .....so much fun .....our next door neighbors were just out of Berkeley when they rented the house .....I do get a kick out of their constant coming and going and parties and friends ......sigh ....my younger years were just so much dam*** fun ! ...and i miss having the energy that I once did ....nowdays ....it takes me 2 full days to recover from doing a show whether 1 or 2 days ....I am barely capable of doing a small sink of dishes afterwards .....and forget getting any actual progress made going forward .....I barely tread water for those 2 days ....

I think it's all the creeks that run through KC that cause the flooding. The river tends to flood upstream a state or two.

I've been seeing a chiropractor the last couple of months. Ideally she'd like me to come in on Monday and Thursday. Ideally I'd like to go in on Tuesday and Friday. But she's closed on Friday and I'm too wiped out on Monday from cleaning the salon on Sunday to do anything.

I don't think she really understood how bad the pain is until I told her that I do a lot of my work sitting in a rolling office chair, only standing to reach a few high shelves and the top of the stations. I can't stand to cook anymore and also work in the kitchen using a desk chair. Pain is so depressing. :(