View Full Version : Autism possibly linked to gut bacteria

NateDEEzy
09-09-16, 06:58 PM
Has anyone seen this?

"Gut bacteria found to reverse autism-related social behavior" by Michelle Kuepper (http://www.printfriendly.com/print/?source=homepage&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.researchgate.net%2Fblog%2Fpo st%2Fgut-bacteria-found-to-reverse-autism-related-social-behavior)

It's really interesting. I saw it on Joe Rogan's Podcast Facebook Page, it's usually really interesting, as is the actual podcast.

I also just purchased the book called The Autism Myth.

I think there's a lot of correlations to adhd-pi and autism so I'm interested to see what the book says. I am also ordering the probiotic to see what kind of effect, if any, it has.

aeon
09-09-16, 10:24 PM
I didn’t check out the link, so I am not commenting on it in any way.

That said, for far too long medical science has ignored the role of the gut and digestion in anything more than a rudimentary way.

Also, we have symbiotic relationships with all manner of living things, from bacteria, to worms, and I do wonder if many ailments are the result of being too clean, too removed from nature, the soil.

In medicine, the hygiene hypothesis is a hypothesis that states that a lack of early childhood exposure to infectious agents, symbiotic microorganisms (such as the gut flora or probiotics), and parasites increases susceptibility to allergic diseases by suppressing the natural development of the immune system.

Consider the elimination of asthma by means of hookworms. My sense is there are many other things like this that we have yet to (re)discover.

And for that matter, when are we going to stop seeing a human being as a collection of systems, but instead as a single, unified system and process, with each and every “part” interdependent on each and every other, just like the context of meaning and being of all other living creatures, from which we are not removed, but enmeshed and in dialogue?

Cheers,
Ian

BellaVita
09-09-16, 10:33 PM
I only read some parts on the link.

It is interesting how GI issues and autism correlate.

I think it's 9 out of 10 autistic females experience GI issues. (I myself have Crohn's disease, have had issues with GERD, stomach ulcers...the list goes on. Oh and I was a "colicky" baby.)

aeon
09-09-16, 11:12 PM
It would not surprise me if someday it was shown that certain presentations on the autism spectrum were the result of lack of gut flora and fauna.

And ADHD for that matter!

Just speculating and imagining,
Ian

C15H25N3O
09-12-16, 08:01 PM
I wonder a lot in which way a "Lactobacillus reuteri" combined with a high-fat-diet could increase Oxytocin while all other probiotics have less effects than eating healthy.

On the other hand I suspected the gut as our most important organ to be the source of my over-all health condition before thinking about ADHD diagnosis and meds.

Lactobacillus reuteri exists in most animals but it is different in each race and I am not a mouse (i hope).

BellaVita
09-12-16, 08:44 PM
Maybe this is out-of-context (I just woke up from a long sleep - bear with me) but I feel like I produce plenty of Oxytocin? I love snuggling, certain kinds of touch, my hair getting played with in the certain way that I like, I love talking with my one person and bonding....

In fact sometimes I can be over touchy. (Tapping on my husband's arm is a good way of stimming! :))

But it's all just with my husband. No one else. (I do enjoy snuggling with and petting my dog though!) I didn't even like hugs as a kid from my parents very much. (Hugs are still a bit overloading for me, but they're just one aspect of touch) And there are many touches I can't stand (light touches on my back is sometimes painful and makes me irritable) but there are plenty of other types of touches I do love.

I also feel such a strong emotional connection with my husband during sex.

I feel like my Oxytocin levels are strong.

C15H25N3O
09-12-16, 11:55 PM
I think and hope the oxytocin-treatment is not for a more intense sexual contact to the partner but for treating social interactions like empathy and better understanding everyones mimics/gestures.

Just fallen in love and after first sex I have a totally different perception of my social environment that makes me feel more normal than any stimulant treats my ADHD.

Thats my hope for oxytocin. Maybe I am completely wrong and it makes men sleepy like after sex. :-)

aeon
09-13-16, 12:18 AM
Maybe I am completely wrong and it makes men sleepy like after sex. :-)

Thatís prolactin.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
09-13-16, 10:53 AM
Did you experience oxytocin as a nasal spray?