View Full Version : Time between daily doses?

TheWelshWizard
09-10-16, 05:18 AM
My doctor has me on 40mg short release Ritalin twice per day. His guideline has been a "whenever it is needed" basis, obviously avoiding the mid afternoon and beyond times.

I've read that Ritalin's effects on the body (at least, the significant effects) are usually over after about 4 to 5 hours however if I take my second dose from that general point often I won't feel any of the 'rush' or stimulation but will always get the usual 'downer' later on.

I'm assuming therefore that if you take doses too close together they don't give your body enough time to 'recalibrate' ready for the second one. I asked my doctor and as he's fairly new he admitted he wasn't completely sure what the 'optimal' amount of time to wait would be as long as it's more than 4 hours.

I'm not desperate to get my 2 doses per day in or anything but I'm always conscious of avoiding taking it too late in the day and obviously we're all different however I was wondering what sort of gap other users find the most beneficial when taking short release Ritalin more than once per day.

Cheers

DJ Bill
09-10-16, 07:56 PM
I take mine at 7:30, 12:30, and 5:30, If I hear my alarm go off and the pills are nearby. I have tried taking them closer together but that leaves me with too much time working and unmedicated.

yepimonfire
09-10-16, 08:19 PM
Ritalin definitely doesn't last 4-5 hours, at least not for me or a majority of people. I take 30mg 4x a day 2-3 hours apart (I generally take my second dose 2 hours after the first). Try taking 20mg 4x a day instead at 3 hour intervals. Ritalin only has a half life of 2.5-3.5 hours anyways.

DJ Bill
09-10-16, 08:26 PM
Ritalin definitely doesn't last 4-5 hours, at least not for me or a majority of people. I take 30mg 4x a day 2-3 hours apart (I generally take my second dose 2 hours after the first). Try taking 20mg 4x a day instead at 3 hour intervals. Ritalin only has a half life of 2.5-3.5 hours anyways.

Every time I suggest that to my doc he says I am already at the maximum dose....(He isn't a psychiatrist,just a GP doing the meds for the psychologist I see..) I'd love to take the 3 hour intervals....as the 4th and 5th hour can be a drag at times.

yepimonfire
09-10-16, 08:39 PM
Well, I'm confused whether you're saying you're on 40mg total (20mg 2x a day) or 80mg (40mg 2x a day). If it's the former, then you're not at the max "recommended" dose (which even the 60mg maximum recommended dose is just a guideline), if it's the latter than you're over the max dose already, so your doc doesn't know what he is talking about either way.

C15H25N3O
09-11-16, 04:52 AM
If you have 80mg you could try taking 40-20-20mg.
Usually the morning dosage is higher than noon and afternoon.

DJ Bill
09-11-16, 10:49 AM
I just checked the bottle and it is 10 mg 3x a day. I do have extra pills due to forgetting my evening dose so I could try adding the fourth...but probably not a good plan without the doc's knowledge.

Sorry about sidetracking your thread, WW.....as you can tell there aren't any hard and fast rules about dosages or times...you have to find out what works for you.

yepimonfire
09-11-16, 03:07 PM
I just checked the bottle and it is 10 mg 3x a day. I do have extra pills due to forgetting my evening dose so I could try adding the fourth...but probably not a good plan without the doc's knowledge.

Sorry about sidetracking your thread, WW.....as you can tell there aren't any hard and fast rules about dosages or times...you have to find out what works for you.

There's nothing dangerous about adding a fourth dose once or twice to gauge the response, it's just some docs if they hear of you doing this, will freak out and think you are abusing the meds. Either way, since you have obviously been confused about the dosage and frequency, try taking it every three hours. Should be enough at 3x a day to get 9 hours of therapeutic effect.