View Full Version : How many of us guys don't sing the right words to songs ?

DJ Bill
09-10-16, 08:23 PM
..cuz we never heard the words as what was being actually said....and substituted something else for the correct words?

For years I thought the theme song for Caddyshack was talking about Amber Lights....and it didn't make much sense to me. (I now think it is "I'm all right, don't nobody worry about me..."? I'd give you more examples but I don't remember any at the moment. Even some contemporary worship songs at church I get totally wrong.

Not that I regularly sing songs in public..:o.Only by myself in the car or in the house or in my head.

Or..... listen to someone talking to you and totally mishear things??..Often I need to have folks repeat what they said because what I thought I heard was just way too weird or not right.....Other times I go with what I thought I heard, and find out later that wasn't at all what the person said....

I remember clearly a 5th grade spelling test where I had no idea what the teacher was saying when she asked us to spell the word "police":scratch:.....I tried to spell it phonetically and got it wrong, but it wasn't until after the test that I realized she was saying Police as in Police Car....:umm1:

I'm finding I am doing this quite often lately --- it doesn't seem to impress the boss much. :o

ADD PI or ???? (I'm not deaf)

aeon
09-10-16, 08:35 PM
No, I do not have this problem at all, except for one way:

If I have been alone for a number of hours, and I get a phone call, my brain is never able to understand the first thing said. I ask to have it repeated, and it will be clear.

I sing the wrong words for songs, but that is usually to be silly, or to make the song super-smutty or whatnot.

Cheers,
Ian

lateinlife
09-11-16, 06:24 AM
Well, I'm an older "gal", but I absolutely relate to not knowing the words to the songs!! Occasionally I'll google a song just to see what the correct lyrics are...but mostly I just take it in stride, make up the words and enjoy the melody!\:)
I wonder if this relates to difficulty hearing what people say when in a large group setting. I don't think it's hearing loss, but it is the blending of one person's voice with all the others. As an ADD person I hear everything at once and can't concentrate on one conversation

DJ Bill
09-11-16, 11:00 AM
I have the same thing in conversations....If someone comes up to me and says something, it doesn't actually register until after I have already responded with "what did you say?" It's like there is a time delay in my brain processing what it heard. Or it takes me a few seconds to tune in to what is said....or ??

By the way I should have used "You all" or "folks" instead of "guys" in the title....I meant everybody, not just us menfolk.:o

And what is the first line in that Caddyshack song? I told someone it was "I'm all right" and he said it was something else, like a girls name..He is in a bar band so I thought he'd know...lol.

EDIT-----
I found them via Google....
"I'm alright
Nobody worry 'bout me
Why you got to gimme a fight
Can't you just let it be" as sung by Kenny Loggins.

stef
09-11-16, 11:37 AM
I really have a problem with this!
i have that same thing with lyrics
sometimes i just hear the sound of the voice, its like a dog barking or something.

Little Missy
09-11-16, 12:30 PM
Never leave your pizza burning.
I'll never be your Beast Of Burden.

namazu
09-11-16, 01:32 PM
Missy, I love it! :lol:

For me, one of them was Tears for Fears' song "Head Over Heels":
"It's hard to be a man when there's a girl in your head..."
(makes sense, no?)
was supposed to be
"It's hard to be a man when there's a gun in your hand..."

This is super-common, even among people without ADHD...

Consult further:
kissthisguy (dot) com -- The Archive of Misheard Song Lyrics

In other situations, there can be issues of actually mishearing (not necessarily more common with ADHD, though more common with auditory processing problems), zoning out during the conversation, not being able to hold the whole thing in working memory (so forgetting the beginning of the conversation by the end), getting distracted, or quickly forgetting what was said after the conversation ends. Still happens to people without ADHD, but often less frequently/problematically.

Audio recorders, notepads, and asking for things in writing can help.

Fuzzy12
09-11-16, 02:04 PM
Lyrics are one of the very few things I pick up easily and remember quickly and for very long.

They might not be exactly accurate but mostly they are, I think. I'm getting worse with age though.

I have the same problem though that others have mentioned. If someone suddenly says something I almost never immediately understand them. Often it takes several tries to register.

Embalyn
09-11-16, 07:01 PM
i have the problem where it's saying things wrong and not knowing or what i called verbal dyslexia, so my sentence has two words in the wrong place while im saying it like there is too much can in my corn and other times it's letters back to front in a word and i then pronounce it wrong

Steppe
09-11-16, 07:50 PM
I always mangle songs....

NEW WORLD MAN - Rush

He's a new-world man
He's a radio receiver
(Turns The Factories Amps On ) .....Tuned to factories and farms
He's a writer and ranger and a young boy bearing arms
He's got a problem with his powers
His weapons on patrol
He's got to walk a fine line
And keep his self-control

Little Missy
09-11-16, 08:59 PM
I know every jingle from every state I've lived in and I even do the back-up singers and/or the horn sections for them. With my mouth. Its ridiculous. I don't even think they do much jingling anymore.

I'm fluent with these back to when milk was delivered to the milk chute built into your home for access from the outside. haha

Rocket Man, turning on his heels and lettin' some...

20thcenturyfox
09-11-16, 09:20 PM
I didn't come lurking around here for a laugh, but thanks for all the laughs!

Reminds me, about 60 years ago there was a kid at Sunday school who had the most bizarre (similar sounding but totally bizarre) words to some Christmas carols...sorry I can't remember what they were. He had no idea the lyrics were supposed to be about Jesus and also make sense grammatically. Who knew we probably had something in common?

DJ Bill
09-12-16, 10:25 AM
Keep those misheard song lyrics a comin! I have to laugh with ya , not at ya, as so far there hasn't been an example I haven't done.

"I'm going to go outside and truck on the work for a bit...after I low the mawn."

DJ Bill
09-13-16, 06:44 PM
"Got the G String coming, High on the G String!"

My version of Cat Stephens real lyrics:
"Peace train sounding louder
Ride on the peace train
Hoo-ah-eeh-ah-hoo-ah
Come on the peace train
Peace train's a holy roller
Everyone jump upon the peace train
Hoo-ah-eeh-ah-hoo-ah
This is the peace train"

Replace every "Peace Train" with G String....That 's what I thought for years it was.
I loved the song, just thought it was some "musician lingo"...

I fully blame this on the fact that our school bus did not have the best sound system in the world.:lol:

Little Missy
09-13-16, 06:57 PM
oh, I had some good ones earlier and I forgot!

sarahsweets
09-14-16, 05:58 AM
I did it more when I was younger.
You know the song sexual healing?
I used to think it was this:

"Pee-pee I cant hold it much longer, its getting stronger, and stronger.When I have that feeling I need textual healing"

Little Missy
09-14-16, 07:05 AM
Oh yeah,

Love is a nose and you better not pick it

Love Is A Rose