View Full Version : "Dependent on meds"? Read this ...

Lunacie
09-12-16, 03:33 PM
#if you can't make your own neurotransmitters, storebought is fine.

Not just bipolar meds, also meds for adhd, anxiety and depression.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14333658_10209064656627977_7883603613594732713_n.j pg?oh=8ee325ee7315390826d8c6955499c51b&oe=587ECAEF

Fuzzy12
09-12-16, 04:12 PM
That's a good way to put it. And true.

salleh
09-12-16, 04:13 PM
boils it right down doesn't it ....

Guilt is a hard thing to get rid of though .....

midnightstar
09-12-16, 04:19 PM
Very good post Funacie :grouphug:

Fortune
09-12-16, 05:50 PM
I went for a week without my meds in January and it was one of the worst weeks ever. Constant brain zaps, constant sweating, constant headaches, constant beliefs that my PCP was plotting against me.

I mean some of those only happened because I was taking the meds in the first place, but when I am taking them I do so much better even discounting those particulars that I am not sure if I would function well without them. My emotions are more accessible and my affect is less flat. It's easier to do some things that are otherwise very difficult (executive function things).

sarahsweets
09-12-16, 05:51 PM
You rock.

ToneTone
09-12-16, 06:03 PM
Clever, funny, witty and awesome!

C15H25N3O
09-12-16, 06:08 PM
Since reading my brain like a book a few weeks ago I think:

"I havent done any failures in life but i went over the limits sometimes."

I still believe it. I must be damn right or permanently hypomaniac!

aeon
09-12-16, 08:00 PM
I can accept and state that I am dependent upon my medications without bringing those who are not into my considerations.

I have no need to explain, excuse, or justify that. The fact I am dependent upon my medications is just that...a fact.

All there is to do is accept that and go about my business.

Of course, I could choose to not accept that and create drama for myself, but why would I want to do that? I’ve got enough of a full plate already, I don’t need anything additional.

What neurotypicals do (or not) is of no relevance to me as it regards accepting myself as I am, where I am.

Blessťd Be,
Ian

C15H25N3O
09-12-16, 08:28 PM
Belive me ( or not )

There are no neurotypicals and there is nothing be jealous.

If there where any neurotypicals they are very boring people without personalities – just grey clones of antimatter.

Almost thinking about neurotypicals is kind of self-abuse.

I am different, I think different and I act different.

Only dead can make me neurotypical – no med.

Lunacie
09-12-16, 08:32 PM
I can accept and state that I am dependent upon my medications without bringing those who are not into my considerations.

I have no need to explain, excuse, or justify that. The fact I am dependent upon my medications is just that...a fact.

Of course, I could choose to not accept that and create drama for myself, but why would I want to do that? Iíve got enough of a full plate already, I donít need anything additional.

What neurotypicals do (or not) is of no relevance to me as it regards accepting myself as I am, where I am.

Blessťd Be,
Ian

It makes a difference when you can't find a doctor to prescribe meds because of the stigma, because they don't believe in it, or they have religious objections.

It can be hard to find a doctor without those biases her in the middle of the bible belt.

My friend needs bipolar meds and his doctor wanted only to pray with him. I went through a period of daily chronic migraine and one doctor told me that god wanted me to have that pain for a reason. So no meds for either of us.

C15H25N3O
09-12-16, 08:38 PM
My friend needs bipolar meds and his doctor wanted only to pray with him.

Hmmm, I am sure singing at the church choir is a better treatment for bipolarity than praying. No weird scientist needed to confirm this.

BellaVita
09-12-16, 09:00 PM
This post is awesome! Saved the photo in case I need to share it in the future.

Thanks Lunacie! :goodpost:

Fortune
09-12-16, 09:08 PM
Belive me ( or not )

There are no neurotypicals and there is nothing be jealous.

If there where any neurotypicals they are very boring people without personalities – just grey clones of antimatter.

Almost thinking about neurotypicals is kind of self-abuse.

I am different, I think different and I act different.

Only dead can make me neurotypical – no med.

I think that what this illustrates is that you don't really get what "neurotypical" means.

It basically means someone who doesn't deal with neurological disorders and mental illness. Real people like that exist, and this doesn't make them boring. What it often makes them is less able to empathize with people who do have those problems.

Lunacie
09-12-16, 09:47 PM
Hmmm, I am sure singing at the church choir is a better treatment for bipolarity than praying. No weird scientist needed to confirm this.

Sarcasm? :confused:

sarahsweets
09-13-16, 12:25 AM

Of course, I could choose to not accept that and create drama for myself, but why would I want to do that? Iíve got enough of a full plate already, I donít need anything additional.

Blessťd Be,
Ian

This is excellent. I liked what Lunacie posted but ultimately this is how we should look at things. Easier said then done though.

Fuzzy12
09-13-16, 04:14 AM
It makes a difference when you can't find a doctor to prescribe meds because of the stigma, because they don't believe in it, or they have religious objections.

It can be hard to find a doctor without those biases her in the middle of the bible belt.

My friend needs bipolar meds and his doctor wanted only to pray with him. I went through a period of daily chronic migraine and one doctor told me that god wanted me to have that pain for a reason. So no meds for either of us.

The mind boggles.. :eek::faint:

C15H25N3O
09-13-16, 05:21 AM
Sarcasm? :confused:

Sure. This kind of docs have mental disorders.

C15H25N3O
09-13-16, 06:22 AM
It basically means someone who doesn't deal with neurological disorders and mental illness. Real people like that exist, and this doesn't make them boring. What it often makes them is less able to empathize with people who do have those problems.

I know. I think everyone has more or less of neuro-disorders and patterns of disorders additions make our personalities
that cannot be changed. I mean everyone can be diagnosed something and could be prescribed to some meds. No one is perfect.

If you mean society is neurotypical just compare different countries societies. Almost every society is different
and more or less sick from time to time. Societies are sick not the individuals.

If everyone had the same face no one would be beautiful. You need differences to define beauty. In mass psychology and media
beauty is permanently redefined and being different and having rough edges will always define beauty but everyone has a different
definition of beauty.

I think labelling and ranting others neurotypical is not better than being labelled with disorders. Seeing others as neurotypicals
makes me feel disabled which I dont accept. Never!

Not easy to express while thinking in another language which could be seen as an disorder by native speakers.

I also know my thoughts sound hard and different in english due to a lack of ability to express emotions in english.

Using translators and dictionaries like meds in discussions I should have a language-disorder.

It is all about acceptance and tolerance – not only from neurotypicals but also from us.

:-)

BellaVita
09-13-16, 06:38 AM
I know. I think everyone has more or less of neuro-disorders and patterns of disorders additions make our personalities
that cannot be changed. I mean everyone can be diagnosed something and could be prescribed to some meds. No one is perfect.

No, not everyone can be diagnosed with a mental health condition. And the personality argument is flawed because it's not personality that's the issue here, but the impairments something causes.

If you are saying everyone has a different complex personality and we all express ourselves in different ways - then that is definitely true.

But honesty, if the majority of the world weren't neurotypical then the world would be based on that and people would have less issues getting their needs accommodated.

But the world is run with the neurotypical in mind, and so people with mental illnesses and disorders need to seek extra support and resources in order to even survive in a world not made for them.

If everyone had the same face no one would be beautiful. You need differences to define beauty. In mass psychology and media
beauty is permanently redefined and being different and having rough edges will always define beauty but everyone has a different
definition of beauty.When I was a kid, I used to daydream about everyone in the world looking exactly the same - grey blobs of matter - no one looked physically different from another.

Because I found true beauty to be what was inside, and I wished that beauty was defined by what's inside rather than outward appearance.

And I used to think the world would change significantly if that were to happen.

And that people's eyes would open to what people's true inner characters were.

I do agree with your last part that everyone has a different definition of beauty.

I think labelling and ranting others neurotypical is not better than being labelled with disorders. Seeing others as neurotypicals
makes me feel disabled which I dont accept. Never!

It is all about acceptance and tolerance – not only from neurotypicals but also from us.I think the whole point of the picture in the OP is not to put down or rant about neurotypicals but to simply put those who require "store-bought" neurotransmitters on a similar level as neurotypicals - because neurotypicals are often the ones who don't "get" why we need medication since their bodies naturally produce the very neurotransmitters we need!

And it was to help those who do require medication to not feel so guilty about needing it - since it's normal to need them in your brain just like how neurotypicals need them. :)

C15H25N3O
09-13-16, 06:56 AM
Bella,

we think so similar but express different due to my language-disability-disorder.

Let me try to express different with a question:

If all ADHD would be "whatever-typical" we would respond the same way on meds. But we dont and there is no standard in medication although the same med releases or inhibits the same transmitters.

Real beauty is when the inside fits the outside without ranting.

Is ranting a disorder? I think so.