View Full Version : Focus-Switching and Redirection of Attention

aeon
09-12-16, 04:07 PM
In my job, I do a lot of detailed short-sequence tasks, and am constantly doing this, then that, then that, on and on. This is some mix of accounting, IT, and graphic arts.

However, while I am doing those things, there are constant interruptions...the phone ringing, receiving people who come in the front door, questions/directives/pleas for help from coworkers, computers and other equipment being naughty...

If I am honest with myself, I cannot do all of the responsibilities of my job without meds, and the biggest reasons are how difficult it is to task-switch on my own, and how my concentration and flow are sometimes absolutely blown away and destroyed by interruptions.

Ill be doing something, I get pulled away, and afterward I say to myself WTF was I doing? Oh, yeah, right, and try to resume, but it takes a little while to get back into the groove, and I have to rebuild my internal to-do list.

One of the remarkable qualities of Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine sulfate is that it allows me to task-switch on my own, at will, quickly, and that I can be interrupted, even multiple times, and I do not get overwhelmed, and can return to what I was doing previously, and get right back into the groove, as if nothing had interrupted me. Also, my internal to-do list is intact.

Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine sulfate affects me in many other positive ways that have direct application to my job responsibilities, but mental context-switching and redirection of attention is almost certainly the most primary among them all.

The benefit is to the degree that there have been times when coworkers have seen me doing something complex, they interrupt me for something, the phone rings while I am helping them, and as I am finishing the call someone comes in the front door.

My coworkers have seen me address each in turn, and return to what I was doing previously with such lock-step precision and fluidity they have commented on it. (never accusingly :) )

Do you experience this with your ADHD med?

Sometimes I get the sense I am better in this way than what would be normative for a neurotypical individual when I am Dexd. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Lunacie
09-12-16, 05:17 PM
I'm not taking meds, only a fish oil supplement.

But it has seemed to help with returning to a task if I get interrupted.

sarahsweets
09-12-16, 05:49 PM
For sure. I could never handle taking care of my kids let alone anything else without meds. I cant even grocery shop or drive safely without them.

C15H25N3O
09-12-16, 05:54 PM
Yes! I think it is a quite usual effect of all kinds of stimulants combined with natural motivation, having fun and rewards.

Sometimes I get the sense I am better in this way than what would be normative for a neurotypical individual when I am Dexd. ;)

My doc would say: "Sorry for interruption, this is no critic, you should know you are in a state of HYPOMANIA"

And I told my doc: "You are right. Thats me and I love it!"

(Good to have a bath in weak sauce after 10 days abstinence.)