View Full Version : Does it take a while for vyvanse to get working optimally?

Glottis
09-14-16, 11:29 AM
I'm only on my second day of 30mg of vyvanse and it actually is helping but the effect isn't nearly as strong as I thought it would be.

Has anybody been in the situation where they don't see immediate results but things improve over the weeks/months? Thanks.

Traveler5
09-14-16, 02:38 PM
Not that I'm aware of. I was on it for a while until I realized that I'm allergic to Vyvanse. It should start working right away from my experience but everyone is so different. Give it a while. You may have to increase your dose. One thing I, and others noticed about Vyvanse, is that it moves through your system pretty quickly. It seems to have a short effect on the system, in my opinion.

C15H25N3O
09-14-16, 08:37 PM
It took me 2 months to get completely used to it.
I had the breakthrough having no breakfast and other
food for 3-8 hours after intake while drinking a lot of water.

sarahsweets
09-15-16, 02:54 AM
I think its important to note that not having food for 3-8 hours isnt good for the body. There is alot of evidence to support the need for food because of the way vyvanse is absorbed in the gut, however C15H25N3O has said this works for him.

C15H25N3O
09-15-16, 06:04 AM
Not every culture is used to have 3-7 meals including snacks and cake every day and modern industrial states do not represent the apex of healthful living.

It also should be mentioned you kind of hate Vyvanse. :-)

aeon
09-15-16, 01:02 PM

She takes issue with it, as do I.

It is slow, weak, and expensive.

I think and feel those are valid reasons for kinda hating it. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

DannyG
09-15-16, 07:48 PM
I remember going through a few trials of Vyvanse and my doctor started me on the 30 mg capsule and before Vyvanse I was taking the Focalin XR 20 mg cap so that's probably why I was started on 30 mg instead of the 10 or 20 mg. Vyvanse is a prodrug stimulant and so it has to be taken by mouth so that your gut can process it and activate it. This is good because this prevents the person to abuse the Lisdexamfetamine, that's the whole point, it also works slow and smooth and it lasts and this can be a perfect fit for the people who usually get sick from other ADHD medications. For me though it was too slow and I knew this wasn't for me and I had to try my other option, Adderall IR tabs. I also want to mention the strange dose increase my doctor prescribed me. My doctor started me on 30 mg and that wasn't working enough and so we jumped to 50 mg skipping the 40 mg dose and that didn't do it so we went right to the 70 mg skipping the 60 mg dose and that didn't do it either. I'm assuming this might be a good medication for a child in grade school because the response was so weak and slow for me and I was a 33 year old adult at the time. The perfect fit for me was Adderall IR 20 mg once or twice a day and I like the IR better than the Adderall XR by the way. Adderall is a mix of Amphetamines and in my opinion a perfect balance of it for me. I want to also mention that I also have depression with anxiety/OCD/PTSD and I think I've tried every kind of antidepressants on the market. For me the Adderall also help me with those issues and so that worked perfectly for me because that's one less pill I didn't have to keep taking everyday. Adderall IR keeps me busy and I'm so much more productive and the clock also moves faster and I'm happier when my days go that way for sure. Good luck everyone, remember that you have so many different options when it comes to ADHD medications, don't give up because the perfect dose can make your life worth living everyday, looking forward for the next.

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 01:57 AM
I think and feel those are valid reasons for kinda hating it. ;)

I kind of hate ritalin but I still try to help others with my experience of being on it over 2 years.

Personally I would ban and outlaw SSRI lexapro as the worst hell of a substance and get everyone taking it cold-turkey off that stuff but I keep my hands off anti-depressant threads.

Sometimes we write too much about our personal experiences but too less about how to evaluate a med.

Having effects can make us blind to see if they are good or bad why we ask our family, friends or look for foreigners reactions.

sarahsweets
09-16-16, 04:53 AM
Not every culture is used to have 3-7 meals including snacks and cake every day and aboriginals have been living healtier than modern industrial states.

This has nothing to do with me not liking vyvanse.

I just don't believe that not eating for 3+ hours is healthy.

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 11:42 AM
I dont see it as an instruction, advice or a command – for me it worked and works

and I dont think the reader is stupid. We ADHDs think a lot and also try a lot.

This is just an idea that is overseen by many people and worth a try.

If someone think eating ever hour is a must – not my thing.

I eat when am hungry or have a lack of energy.

... and there are worse conspirative ideas around here how to get meds last longer.

sarahsweets
09-16-16, 12:44 PM
I dont see it as an instruction, advice or a command for me it worked and works

and I dont think the reader is stupid. We ADHDs think a lot and also try a lot.

This is just an idea that is overseen by many people and worth a try.

If someone think eating ever hour is a must not my thing.

I eat when am hungry or have a lack of energy.

... and there are worse conspirative ideas around here how to get meds last longer.

No one said anything about eating every hour, or having 5 meals and 2 snacks a day-you did. If that is supposed to imply anything about my lifestyle or another country's lifestyle I dont see how its relevant. Whatever works for you is fine but IMO is NOT ok to go without any food at the start of a day for up to 8 hours. Its just not physically healthy. it may make your medicine more effective but I cant see any medical professional supporting this.

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 12:56 PM
What means healthy food for you?

How should a breakfast look like?

What is your idea to get Vyvanse working?

Or should Vyvanse be banned from the market?

Little Missy
09-16-16, 02:41 PM
What means healthy food for you?

How should a breakfast look like?

What is your idea to get Vyvanse working?

Or should Vyvanse be banned from the market?

Every one is entitled to their opinion.

Some people do not like Vyvanse, while you emphatically endorse it. So be it.

I believe that other amphetamines are not available to you.

Rock on with your Vyvanse self. The OP is long gone.

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 04:23 PM
Everyone its own arbiter of how medication works best, but some need the doctor to make decisions. I am happy I can make some decisions on my own.

Some people do not like Vyvanse, while you emphatically endorse it. So be it.
Telling everyone you hate Vyvanse isn't helpful. Give meds a chance, and if they don't help, switch or get rid off them!

I believe that other amphetamines are not available to you.

If I ask my doc to prescribe me other amphetamines I have options to get pure dexamphetamine, which I did not like.
I have an option for "racemic amphetamine" which means 50/50 dextro/levo real cheap as a fluid which is sold as "evekeo".
I also have an option for any mixture of the salts. I dont need brands because I check the galenics of the meds.

I really wonder a lot it is now about countries or nations as I mentioned cultural food behaviors months ago.

Food intake behaviours are not about nations but about temperature zones.

I work on my self and try to find out what is wrong and which failures medicine made with failed treatment, and then I am happy when I can report success.

Little Missy
09-16-16, 04:28 PM
Glad to hear you are getting great results.

Where do you find the raw cocoa beans, I have looked all over.

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 04:48 PM
I dont know what the problem is if there are two or more different opinions like a "buffet" for the reader.

There is never only one truth.

I think its great for the reader to learn always to look for the paradoxon which is typical in ADHD treatment
while there is no gold standard and while there is always an alternative made by nature which is against
big pharmas interest because they cannot get patents on plants.

I found cacao beans talking to people who dont believe doctors and science anymore and who see in it a
corrupt establishment system of big pharma.

I can buy cacao beans locally in a specialized chocolate store 10 minute by bike from where I live.
I can buy them from stores specialized in natural foods and "superfoods" all around in my city.
I can also buy them from online stores. I find them on ebay and amazon.
Cacao beans not only taste different depending on the countries of origins but also contain different
amounts of its ingredients.
They dont have gold standards although some sorts are praised like coming straight from heaven.
I try them and choose them by taste which is my way of natural selection.
It is similar like wine. Some enjoy white, others red, anothers rose wines from all over the globe.

Sadly experts with doctor titles made me sick and if I can reduce my problems to ADHD and autism
I can handle it with less and healthier medications.

namazu
09-17-16, 01:12 AM
MODERATOR NOTE: Please stay on topic and be mindful of ADDF's etiquette guidelines (http://www.addforums.com/forums/announcement.php?f=75&a=90). Posts that are off-topic or don't follow etiquette guidelines may be edited or removed. Thank you.