View Full Version : Is anyone familiar with Epilim(Sodium Valproate) for anxiety/mood stabiliser?

Care2much
09-14-16, 09:22 PM
Hi,

I will try and make this as short and to the point as possible.

Recently saw a psychiatrist about a rediagnosis for ADD, I was diagnosed in a different country when I was 13. I'm now 35 and only just found out a year or so ago that I had originally been diagnosed in the first place(it explained a lot).

He seems to think that my issues are related to my emotions and my emotional reactions to things are causing me anxiety and that it's actually not ADD at all. This was also due to the fact that I had been self medicating with marijuana for the past 15 years on and off(haven't touched it for the past 2 months!! :D )It doesn't sound quite right to me but I'm happy to give almost anything a go at this stage and he is the expert.

He has prescribed me Sodium Valproate(Epilim) to start with 2 x 200mg a day.

I started taking them just over 2 weeks ago but I'm having an issue working out if they are actually helping or not. The problem is that the week I started taking them was probably one of the most challenging weeks of my life. I was asked to resign from my job on the Saturday and on the Monday/Tuesday I found out my partner of 2.5 years was leaving me for another woman. It was kinda intense. I started the medication on the Wednesday and I went to a psychologist on the Thursday.

I think it has definitely helped me deal with the events, I almost feel a bit numb to it most of the time while it still really hurts at the same time. I don't really know if it has really helped me with focus or motivation though as the "panic monster" has always been an amazing motivator for me and I feel like that what is driving me to look for a new job.

Has anyone else had experience with this particular drug?

Thank you :D

peripatetic
09-21-16, 11:34 PM
Hi,

Sorry you've had such a rough go. I'm posting to say

1. No, I have no experience with mood stabilizers but many here do
2. The brand name for your medication in the states and some other places is depakote and I encourage you to search threads containing that word and you'll find information
3. I'm going to move this over to the anti convulsants/mood stabilizer section of medications so you know where to look for information on sodium valproate here and so those with a history of taking mood stabilizers are more likely to see your thread :)

Amara92
02-05-17, 12:59 PM
Hi Care2much

Hopefully this gets to you despite the late reply.

I have been prescribed Sodium Valpro/Epilim on 2 different occasions. The first time was when I was misdiagnosed as Bipolar, I was taking 100mg (i think, it was a few years ago) twice a day I was also taking Prozac at this time and the second time was late last year after I had been diagnosed with ADHD and I was prescribed Epilim at a 25mg dose per day aswell as 5mg of Dexamphetamine 5x a day.

Personally I didn't think I had benefited on either dose or combination. I did gain between 5 and 10kgs when taking the 100mg x2/day (+Prozac) which I really didn't help my mood.

In regards to the mention of ADD/ADHD no longer being a diagnosis. I was diagnosed with ADHD at 23 and it explained ALOT! I was also told that my late diagnosis could have caused the anxiety & depression issues due to note being diagnosed earlier and struggling with school, relationships etc.

Hopefully I've helped in some way and I also hope life is treating you better now!
��

Care2much
08-30-17, 09:21 PM
Thank you for all of your replies. :)
As for an update, I stopped taking the epilim(over a few weeks) after about 3 months due to quite bad side effects. I ended up severely depressed, horrific skin, put on at least a few kg, nausea and it somehow affected my implanon implant. I hadn't had a period for 1.5 years but 2 weeks after starting the pills I started to get the most painful and incredibly long periods I have ever experienced. All symptoms finally went away after about 2-3 months off the medication.
I unfortunately got back on the weed for a while and I am now again trying to quit that for at least 3 months so I can go see the psychiatrist again and give something else a go.
Thanks again for your input everyone :D