View Full Version : Roommate issues

Reghan
09-15-16, 03:55 AM
Hi, so this is my first post on here.

I'm 19 years old and I work 2 jobs.I moved in with a co-worker back in May and we haven't had many issues until recently. I really struggle with picking up after myself. It's just little things like wiping down where I ate and remembering to throw out my wrappers etc. It's not all the time, but my roommate has just informed me that I need to grow the f** up because I'm not a child and she shouldn't have to clean up after me all the time.

I'm frustrated because I'm really trying to do better and thought I was. The lease is going to be up soon and I'll be moving out in a few weeks. I really like my roommate most of the time and I don't want to leave on a bad note. How do I make her understand that I'm not leaving things around on purpose?

stef
09-15-16, 12:20 PM

I'm 19 years old and I work 2 jobs.I moved in with a co-worker back in May and we haven't had many issues until recently. I really struggle with picking up after myself. It's just little things like wiping down where I ate and remembering to throw out my wrappers etc. It's not all the time, but my roommate has just informed me that I need to grow the f** up because I'm not a child and she shouldn't have to clean up after me all the time.

I'm frustrated because I'm really trying to do better and thought I was. The lease is going to be up soon and I'll be moving out in a few weeks. I really like my roommate most of the time and I don't want to leave on a bad note. How do I make her understand that I'm not leaving things around on purpose?

Hi :)
I had the same problem in college. I roomed with a really good friend but she got so annoyed with me. And I was always completely surprised, because i had no idea that i was doing this.

Just tell her! that you absolutely dont do it on purpose because your mind works this way, and especially when youre busy, and that you dont expect her to "clean up after you" but it's a true oversight as compared to just not caring.
Why not do something nice for her? bring back a dessert or something she really likes, when you go shopping for yourself.

(i wish I had thought of all of this myself, at the time!)

Little Missy
09-15-16, 05:20 PM
I had a door slammer of a room mate and I knew she had no idea that she slammed doors. So after a very long explanation of door slamming and an admission that I was also a door slammer at one time until it was kindly brought to my attention that I was able to overcome it.

She began to sing dirges in the bathroom at 2 am instead. Reverberating off of the tile and always during finals week. Long, low LOUD dirges.

Lunacie
09-15-16, 06:32 PM
My oldest granddaughter used to make me crazy leaving messes on the counter, the sofa, the floor ... everywhere.

Finally I took a chill pill and instead of slamming things around while I cleaned it all up, I began just reminding her that she needed to clean up the mess (whichever mess I was seeing).

Not nagging her. Just reminding her that she needed to clean it up. She still made some mess her senior year but not as much, and she was willing to clean it up herself if I reminded her.

Now she's living with 3 roommates, one has adhd even more severe than hers, and he really makes messes. The shoe is on the other foot now. ;)

TheFitFatty
09-18-16, 01:57 AM
I'm horribly messy. I'm not "unclean" in that I will clean thoroughly when I do, but I'm just not tidy. I can't be bothered with folding clothes or ironing...or not piling dishes in the sink till there is no room.
I had to live on my own at your age I'm afraid. And now I have a full time cleaner.

sarahsweets
09-18-16, 05:19 AM
Roommates can suck sometimes.

Lloyd_
10-08-16, 06:39 AM

Buy a pack of these, one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. It will make cleaning up after yourself a breeze.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lysol-Disinfecting-Wipes-Lemon-Lime-Blossom-Scent-35-ct-Pack-of-3/21172025?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=21172025&placement_id=irs-106-m3&strategy=PWBAB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=1452fbed-1ea2-42e4-8c1a-0846102069f7&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=14898365&parent_anchor_item_id=14898365&guid=894dc5db-4c39-4e22-a00b-33eb9f69a027&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Plus you should get a swiffer mop and just get in the habit of using it to clean the kitchen floor whenever you're finished cooking.

Buying my own cleaning supplies actually helps a lot with remembering to clean on a regular basis.

Like anything else, get in the habit of doing it and remember to at least once a month or when it starts to get raunchy to clean the bathroom. If your roommate still ******* then sounds like he's OCD and tell him he might want to get treated for that!!! :D