View Full Version : tinnitus, tmj, misophonia

julialouise
09-16-16, 02:26 AM
so i just realized that the sound i hear when it is quiet is not quite normal? it doesnt cause me much distress at all, except for the other night when i was intoxicated and it was just overpowering and overwhelming and really freaked me out.

https://www.ata.org/understanding-facts/symptoms

the stuff i hear is closest to Sound 6: Screeching, but it sounds a little bit different, less painful, and i've experienced Sound 4, particularly a "cicada" type sound. i just thought it was cicadas until i realized, oh, it wasn't. it kinda freaked me out, it was a little while ago, but i didnt look it up until after i had that experience yesterday

i dont remember when the tinnitus started, but i suppose i've always thought it was normal, so maybe i've had it for a while. i used to listen to music loudly, especially to drown out extraneous sounds (like eating), and probably during high school but i only played loud music in my headphones when i was in a noisy environment

i also have TMJ, so honestly, i don't know what is causing my symptoms, maybe it's all connected, who knows. i'll probably try to see an ear nose and throat doctor soon.

AND i have misophonia, and i got EXTREMELY irritated today when this kid started eating in front of me, because he's a particularly loud eater, and i totally had forgotten about that

my whole head is messed up!!!!

(i have depression, anxiety, and adhd, currently taking Wellbutrin XL 300mg)

edit: i just remembered that i go 2 punk shows occasionally and they're often very loud but i tend 2 cover my ears with earbuds or earplugs, there have only been a couple times where i was exposed directly to the loud music, and i dont go to a lot of big concerts, though i have been to some

Socaljaxs
09-16-16, 03:22 AM
I get tinnitus and have tmj amongst a bunch of other defective body issues I deal with on the daily. I do limit my google search as it has never actually properly solved or even ever helped me find a conclusion to my physical illness and conditions. My most recent diagnosis of EDS seemed to be the missing piece of the " howdid I manage to do that to myself and not even realize it'

Lunacie
09-16-16, 11:03 AM
I can't even hear #2, too high for my ears.

I think #1 sounds most like what I experience, but maybe a few HZ lower.

Although I have heard cicadas at the wrong time of year. ;)

SheHasCake
09-16-16, 07:39 PM
i also have tinnitus. almost two years ago i was just laying in bed and it started out of nowhere. Ive learned over time to just tune it out. i used to blast my ears with headphones when i was in middle school/high school, probably the cause. But ive read a couple of places that there might be some connection between adhd medication and tinnitus. Makes me wonder...

DJ Bill
09-16-16, 08:38 PM
I hear crickets year round.:eek: Crickets don't hang around 365 days a year where I am, and I attribute it to tinnitus - I also hear something like #2 occasionally..I'll be sitting there and all of a sudden that goes on. It leaves after a few minutes or after I get in a noisier environment.

I never did rock concerts, but have done plenty of work with loud air tools,sandblasters, welders and grinders, etc.

One thing that I noticed----the tinnitus always got worse when my teeth were worked on. When I ended up with full dentures a couple of years ago, I could hear a whole lot better than I had in years. I had what I called plugged ears for months at a time. I'd hear myself way too loudly and not hear the external noises very well. I'd asked dentist after dentist about it and they all denied my teeth could affect my hearing. I had medication induced dry mouth for years, and I blame that for ruining my teeth.

Anyhow I'm done babbling now.:D

Little Missy
09-16-16, 09:05 PM
There are many, many medications that can cause tinnitus. The PDR is an excellent source to find them in. Far more detailed than any googling will bring.

BellaVita
09-16-16, 09:12 PM
I've also got tinnitus and TMJ. (For many years)

Apparently there's not much a doctor can do for TMJ, it's up to the person to do things to prevent it from getting worse.

Some things my orthodontist told me: don't lean your face/chin on your hand, don't chew gum, ice the TMJ....also be careful with weight lifting I've noticed this can sometimes make my TMJ hurt worse.

I wonder if my daily headaches are partly caused by TMJ, I've had a headache every day since my senior year of highschool. I think it could also be that I desperately need new glasses....

It sucks cuz nowadays I can actually feel my jaw sliding out towards the side of my face when I'm lying down on my side, then I switch to the other side and feel it slowly sliding the other way. It hurts bad.

I went through a time of lots of stress and clenched my jaw a whole ton and I think that's one reason it's so bad now.

But yeah the surgery offered for it is risky and often doesn't help if you're thinking about that route. Pretty much it will just get worse over the years and it isn't reversible.

I know, such great news. :rolleyes:

Socaljaxs
09-16-16, 11:50 PM
My doctor said that Botox and other types of injections even trigger point injections may be able to help with tmj.. but yes tmj can absolutely be part or the actual cause of headaches.

My "clicking" when I open and move my mouth is really loud at times... I also recently learned I have occipital neuralgia, which also contributes to my headaches and neck,pain

I've also got tinnitus and TMJ. (For many years)

Apparently there's not much a doctor can do for TMJ, it's up to the person to do things to prevent it from getting worse.

Some things my orthodontist told me: don't lean your face/chin on your hand, don't chew gum, ice the TMJ....also be careful with weight lifting I've noticed this can sometimes make my TMJ hurt worse.

I wonder if my daily headaches are partly caused by TMJ, I've had a headache every day since my senior year of highschool. I think it could also be that I desperately need new glasses....

It sucks cuz nowadays I can actually feel my jaw sliding out towards the side of my face when I'm lying down on my side, then I switch to the other side and feel it slowly sliding the other way. It hurts bad.

I went through a time of lots of stress and clenched my jaw a whole ton and I think that's one reason it's so bad now.

But yeah the surgery offered for it is risky and often doesn't help if you're thinking about that route. Pretty much it will just get worse over the years and it isn't reversible.

I know, such great news. :rolleyes:

julialouise
09-17-16, 03:41 AM
i definitely lean my chin on my hand,,.... and i have a bad habit of chewing at the insides of my cheeks and i've been doing it for pretty much my entire life. i also played clarinet, and i very likely did not use the correct embouchure while playing, which put a lot of strain on my jaw muscles.

i remember yawning once and i felt a significant pop from my left jaw, and it's been bad since then. except when that happened, i literally could not open my mouth wide enough to eat properly unless i first shifted my jaw to the right, and then opened. it's gotten a LOT better since then, but i've also stopped playing clarinet, which may have helped.

my dentist gave me a personalized mouth guard back when it was bad to prevent grinding/clenching in my sleep. i dont think i grind my teeth, but clenching is definitely a possibility. i didn't make much use out of it though, because if i wore it through the night, my teeth would feel really weird and slightly pushed around and i didn't like the idea of my teeth moving or falling out (i've also never needed braces so i wasnt used to the feeling at all). i still have it, and i'll maybe try it again, wearing the night guard for short periods of time until it adapted to my teeth, but like, that's asking a lot from me lol