View Full Version : D-Tryptophan

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 06:35 PM
I am wondering why it seems there is only L-Tryptophan available as a med.

If there is a levo there also must be a dextro.

Why can I not find any D-Tryptophan as a med?

Just wondering while mother nature makes racemic D/L-Tryptophan.

Any reasons known? Is it a forbidden fruit that could make us feel too good?

Greyhound1
09-16-16, 07:53 PM
I don't think it's the forbidden fruit. Only the L stereoisomer is used by the body. I would think the D Tryptophan would be useless and probably why you can't find it.
Your body uses tryptophan to make proteins, the B-vitamin niacin and the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin. However, in order to make niacin and serotonin, you also need to have sufficient iron, riboflavin and vitamin B6. Only the L-stereoisomer of tryptophan is used by the human body. The D-stereoisomer is much less common in nature, though it does occur, as in the marine venom contryphan.

C15H25N3O
09-16-16, 11:01 PM
Cacao beans e.g. contain natural tryptophan which should be racemic or closed to it.

I use to eat a lot of them. Usually the internet oracle says to eat around 6 of them a day

but I became used to eating 10-30 a day. Some days ago I ate 100g which should be

something like 50-80 (i dont know and care) in a single day which feels like it loaded me up

and I will refill when I feel a need. I suspect their theobromine to help me a lot while

being off meds. My mirror tells the truth.

Attention: This is no advice. Others can experience bad insomnia eating only

10 cacao beans and while being on SSRI it could make a serotonin-syndrome.