View Full Version : Vyvanse Celiac

Greta00
09-17-16, 04:33 PM
Hello,

Recently I started taking Vyvanse, at first it worked really well. But yesterday it didn't work at all, neither today.

I should say, that I suffer from celiac disease and I was glutened yesterday. But if the quantity is very low I usually don't have many symptoms.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I've also read about trypsin inhibitos in wheat, as the bond between l-lysine and d-amphetamine is broken by trypsin, how strong is this inhibition? Does it really affects the effects of the drug?

I've read that drugs like Orlistat which is a lipase inhibitor or white bean kidney extract which is an alpha-amylase inhibitor. Block enzymes that break down carbohydrates or fats, preventing them from being absorbed and used by the body.
The effects of these drugs are limited, and they don't inhibit totally the absortion in "therapeutical doses". I don't know if their limited effectiveness is due to the dosage used or the nature of the substances.

Being a trypsin inhibitor a type of serine protease inhibitor that reduces the biological activity of trypsin. Trypsin is an enzyme involved in the breakdown of many different proteins, including as part of digestion in humans and other animals. As a result, protease inhibitors that interfere with its activity can have an antinutritional effect.
That would prevent the body from breaking down the prodrug and free the d-amphetamine to be used by the body.

But I don't know how strong the effect of wheat and how potent is the inhibition.

I know I shouldn't touch gluten, but I really want to know if the effectiveness loss is due to it, or other changes. I doubt I have developed tolerance yet, as I haven't taken it dairy and I didn't see any changes till now.
I'm also on my period, but I'm not sure if hormonal changes affect it.

Pilgrim
09-17-16, 04:47 PM
Just my 2 cents,
I've learnt to watch my diet carefully. Your intolerance to wheat would have an impact on your Vyvanse absorption.

This is just my opinion but this is one of the keys. Absorption of medication and gut health are paramount if you want to succeed.

I found it challenging and painful process of deduction but worth it. Still a work in process.

Alkaline your diet, plenty of water and exercise. This is just what I think.

sarahsweets
09-17-16, 04:52 PM
I should say, that I suffer from celiac disease and I was glutened yesterday. But if the quantity is very low I usually don't have many symptoms.

Have you officially been diagnosed with celiac by a doctor or take any medication for it?

I've read that drugs like Orlistat which is a lipase inhibitor or white bean kidney extract which is an alpha-amylase inhibitor. Block enzymes that break down carbohydrates or fats, preventing them from being absorbed and used by the body.
I thought Orlistat was part of that weight loss medication that can cause greasy, watery stools?

Greta00
09-17-16, 05:26 PM
Have you officially been diagnosed with celiac by a doctor or take any medication for it?

I thought Orlistat was part of that weight loss medication that can cause greasy, watery stools?

As far as I know the only medication for celiac disease is not taking gluten. And of course, otherwise I wouldn't say that.

Yes, Orlistat is a medication, there I had explained how it works.

Greta00
09-17-16, 05:30 PM
Just my 2 cents,
I've learnt to watch my diet carefully. Your intolerance to wheat would have an impact on your Vyvanse absorption.

This is just my opinion but this is one of the keys. Absorption of medication and gut health are paramount if you want to succeed.

I found it challenging and painful process of deduction but worth it. Still a work in process.

Alkaline your diet, plenty of water and exercise. This is just what I think.

Thanks a lot, I always avoid gluten, but while travelling or eating out is not easy sometimes.

sarahsweets
09-18-16, 05:34 AM
As far as I know the only medication for celiac disease is not taking gluten. And of course, otherwise I wouldn't say that.

Yes, Orlistat is a medication, there I had explained how it works.

Look, I wasnt being a jerk, I asked because a lot of people are told they have celiac or go gluten free assuming they are without being tested and could have something else.

I didnt know if there were medications that help treat it which is why I was asking.

C15H25N3O
09-18-16, 12:44 PM
Recently I started taking Vyvanse, at first it worked really well. But yesterday it didn't work at all, neither today.

Your gut is confused and it will work again. Read the last 40 threads to get a better view on this med.

:-)

Greta00
09-22-16, 12:47 AM
Your gut is confused and it will work again. Read the last 40 threads to get a better view on this med.

:-)

Thank you, I've already read some. I talked to my doctor, and as it stopped working even if i was taking more days off than taking the drug, and I had no side effects he has raised the dosage to 50mg.

:)