View Full Version : Can Dexedrine Help Reduce/Manage Blood Sugar Levels?

Hey Man
09-18-16, 01:21 AM
Greetings,

My doctor told me that I am on the cusp of Type 2 diabetes due to the fact that I am obese and I have recently started the keto diet, but I was curious if Dexedrine also helps reduce/manage blood sugar levels.

The reason why I am asking is because not only does Dexedrine help me greatly with ADD, it has also been a fantastic appetite suppressant. Now I still eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I find that I no interest in eating the usual junk food that I would typically eat every day ala carbs, sugar and huge calories that will raise my blood sugar.

So while this may not be the case for everyone in terms of a side effects with Dexedrine - in my case, is Dexedrine essentially helping me reduce/manage my blood sugar along with the keto diet?

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

aeon
09-18-16, 03:08 AM
You might say it has an indirect effect in that it can help support you making good choices as a primary effect, and further that by means of its anorectic side-effect.

But I would not list that as something it is useful for.

I have Type 2 diabetes, and I notice that Dexedrine will actually keep my blood sugar at a certain (low) level when I otherwise would have surely gone hypoglycemic.

Cheers,
Ian

Hey Man
09-18-16, 04:52 AM
You might say it has an indirect effect in that it can help support you making good choices as a primary effect, and further that by means of its anorectic side-effect.

But I would not list that as something it is useful for.

I have Type 2 diabetes, and I notice that Dexedrine will actually keep my blood sugar at a certain (low) level when I otherwise would have surely gone hypoglycemic.

Cheers,
Ian

Hey Ian,

Oh of course - I am not at all saying that Dexedrine should be marketed as the new Metformin.

I was just asking in MY particular case with an appetite suppressant side effect that is essentially keeping me away from the type of foods that have been raising my blood sugar level to the point of being close to Type 2 Diabetes, is Dexedrine essentially reducing my blood sugar if even indirectly.

Does it work for you in the same capacity - your blood sugar is at a low level because of the appetite suppressant factor? I would appreciate any further feedback in this regard.

Thanks!

aeon
09-18-16, 04:56 AM
More often, it causes my liver to dump from that appetite suppressant effect when I have not been absolute about muzzling my liver or keeping it on the short leash.

In the end, it helps, because it helps me make good choices.

But I’m not sure it really does much of anything for my blood sugar level overall, and I have been testing 3-5 times a day, and not seen a change one way or the other.

Cheers,
Ian

Hey Man
09-18-16, 05:50 AM
More often, it causes my liver to dump from that appetite suppressant effect when I have not been absolute about muzzling my liver or keeping it on the short leash.

In the end, it helps, because it helps me make good choices.

But I’m not sure it really does much of anything for my blood sugar level overall, and I have been testing 3-5 times a day, and not seen a change one way or the other.

Cheers,
Ian

But you did say: I have Type 2 diabetes, and I notice that Dexedrine will actually keep my blood sugar at a certain (low) level when I otherwise would have surely gone hypoglycemic.

So I assume if your ADD was cured tomorrow hypothetically speaking and you didn't need to take Dexedrine anymore - it would have a negative effect on your blood sugar levels. Is that fair to say?

Thanks!

aeon
09-18-16, 06:20 AM
But you did say: I have Type 2 diabetes, and I notice that Dexedrine will actually keep my blood sugar at a certain (low) level when I otherwise would have surely gone hypoglycemic.

So I assume if your ADD was cured tomorrow hypothetically speaking and you didn't need to take Dexedrine anymore - it would have a negative effect on your blood sugar levels. Is that fair to say?

Thanks!

No, not fair to say.

When I said Dex would keep my blood sugar at a certain (low) level, that means Dex actually raises my blood sugar and keeps it higher than it would otherwise be when conditions are such that I would go hypoglycemic.

Thanks,
Ian

Hey Man
09-18-16, 06:33 AM
No, not fair to say.

When I said Dex would keep my blood sugar at a certain (low) level, that means Dex actually raises my blood sugar and keeps it higher than it would otherwise be when conditions are such that I would go hypoglycemic.

Thanks,
Ian

Please forgive me - but I am new to this whole blood sugar level thing and what you said above reads like you are contradicting yourself.

How can Dex keep your blood at a certain low level AND raise your blood sugar at the same time?

Are you saying without Dex, your blood sugar would be at a much lower level than the "certain (low) level" on Dex?

In regards to my situation, because it suppresses my appetite for the junk food that is causing me to be on the cusp of type 2, do the lack of those foods reduce blood sugar just generally speaking?

Thank you very much!

aeon
09-18-16, 06:59 AM
I suppose it would read as such if one were to have limited understanding of the workings of blood sugar, and I apologize for presuming.

A normative blood sugar level might be, for example, 100mg/dl.

In a situation where I would go hypoglycemic, my blood sugar might be 45mg/dl.

Dexedrine will prevent me from going hypoglycemic, and my blood sugar will go no lower than 70mg/dl.

So yes, without Dex, my blood sugar would go lower, much lower, low enough to be problematic. Dex prevents this by keeping my blood sugar at a certain (low) level...low relative to normative fasting levels of, for example, 100mg/dl.

The elimination of junk food is no guarantee as to the nature of one’s blood sugar levels, simply because the rest of the diet is unknown. Also, even if it is known, nothing can be said one way or the other with any certainty without fasting, pre-prandial, 2-hr. post-prandial, and before bed readings of blood sugar over a two week period.

Thanks,
Ian

Hey Man
09-18-16, 07:01 PM
I suppose it would read as such if one were to have limited understanding of the workings of blood sugar, and I apologize for presuming.

A normative blood sugar level might be, for example, 100mg/dl.

In a situation where I would go hypoglycemic, my blood sugar might be 45mg/dl.

Dexedrine will prevent me from going hypoglycemic, and my blood sugar will go no lower than 70mg/dl.

So yes, without Dex, my blood sugar would go lower, much lower, low enough to be problematic. Dex prevents this by keeping my blood sugar at a certain (low) level...low relative to normative fasting levels of, for example, 100mg/dl.

The elimination of junk food is no guarantee as to the nature of one’s blood sugar levels, simply because the rest of the diet is unknown. Also, even if it is known, nothing can be said one way or the other with any certainty without fasting, pre-prandial, 2-hr. post-prandial, and before bed readings of blood sugar over a two week period.

Thanks,
Ian

Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I am someone who currently has a limited understanding of the workings of blood sugar, but I understand now what you were saying.

As I mentioned, I am also doing the keto diet - which is high protein, high good fats and minimal carbs (30 to 40 grams a day) - the keto diet is recommended for people with Type 2, so I was thinking that my Dex would be killing two birds with one stone - dealing with my ADD and keeping my blood sugar at a good level due to the appetite suppressant side effect.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks again!