View Full Version : From Dexedrine to Vyvanse

Riversong
09-18-16, 05:13 PM
Hello! I am new to posting on this forum but I have been ghost reading it for years. I was diagnosed with ADD in 2008, but I had it since I was elementary school. My mom refused treatment for it because she didn't believe in medicating children back then.

I started with Adderall XR in 2008, I stopped using it in 2012 because I built up a tolerance to it. So, I tried Ritlan (I swear it gave me tics) and then finally Dexedrine. I loved Dexedrine, but it did make me very irritable (when it was wearing off, usually by 1pm)

So fast forward to 2016, I finally stopped taking Dexedrine (15mg twice a day) last week and was put on Vyvanse. I was given the dosage of 30mg.

It took an hour for me to feel anything, but here is my dilemma. I need motivation to complete tasks. Although dexedrine didn't give me motivation, I could at least force myself to do my work and then begin to hyperfocus on the work. With Vyvanse, all I want to do is masterbate for a few hours and research random things on the internet and post on message boards (lol).

I do not think the dosage is too high because I did an experiment where I opened a capsule and put some of the powder in my water which would have given me a lower dosage. I did not feel anything other than being 'happy.' Don't get me wrong, When I first started Vyvanse, I felt it working. I concentrated on my work (that part works) but to get over to the computer to complete my homework, or to start doing chores, focusing at work it's a problem.

If I go back to Dexedrine, what can offset the moodiness part? How long will Adderall XR tolerance normally last? Should I give Vyvanse more time?

I forgot to add, Vyvanse wears off in 5 hours for me, so I pour "some" of the powder in my water to prolong it.

Please give me your advice and it is a pleasure to meet you all, Thank you!

C15H25N3O
09-18-16, 07:56 PM
Welcome to Wonderland.

Your post made me smile so much but I am too tired to answer.
But let me ask if it really wears off after 5 hours or is it just so
subtle that you dont feel it like dex?

Riversong
09-18-16, 08:59 PM
Thank you for the welcome!

I can tell when it is wearing because I begin to feel really hungry and I can't concentrate and all the thoughts come rushing in.

sarahsweets
09-19-16, 05:02 AM
So out of those three meds, you like dex the best?

C15H25N3O
09-19-16, 05:14 AM
I cannot give you any advices
but I can share some experiences, ideas and thoughts.

Your first post sounds like you really read a lot in this forums.

Are you inattentive or hyperactive ADHD or ADHD-PI or ADHD-PH?

If you took 2x15mg of dex/day before you are with 30mg lisdex/day
on a very low dosage which is an equivalent to ~13mg of dex/day
if I am not wrong. (please someone rectify if wrong) ^^

You are used to amp so I wonder why your doc is prescribing you the common
starting dose of 30mg Vyvavanse and not the equivalent of 70mg you are used to.

You are not the only one who experienced tics on ritalin. I have described it
as twitches that felt like parkinson (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1837608&postcount=9) in this thread on a study about neurotoxity.

I tried microdosages like 5-10% of my regular dosage and experienced
Vyvanse having an effect like an anti-dullant (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180100&highlight=anti-dullant) working great on dysphoria.
So you also seem not to take another med.

You should call your doc and ask for 70mg to compare Vyvanse to Dex.

If he tells you to make it out of your 30mgs you should use a cup with a scale
to get a correct measured dosage. It is safe if you stir it and pour what you need
to another glass while it is still rotating.

Heavy masturbation and random researches sound to me like like desires to get
out of a state. I have no idea if out of a long-term or short-term state while
masturbation also can be a desire for extra dopamine due to a lack of it or pure
lust or simple boredom. Girls should better know as I can comment it only from a
mans view. Why dont you talk with you doc about it could be entertaining.

Mention others try to get this extra dopamine from smoking, coffee, sports or
adrenaline or take some Wellbutrin which inhibits DATs reuptake more than NT.

I would give Vyvanse a chance at a higher dosage because Dex in my experience
cant replace Vyvanses mood enhancement and taking multiple pills personally for
me is no option.

What do you experience being a day off Vyvanse?

It is up to you I swear on my happiness.

I hope I could help a little.

Riversong
09-19-16, 10:55 PM
Thank you for your reply. I will come back tomorrow and reply back. I don't know what's going on today, I took Vyvanse today and I'm so tired. I've never been this tired before. I took a second dose and I'm even more tired now.

sarahsweets
09-20-16, 05:01 AM
I know for me, vyvanse was awful for my mood- but I am also bipolar so maybe this has something to do with it. I also have a resentment with vyvanse but I wont junk up your thread with it and it works for many people.

Riversong
09-23-16, 01:21 AM
I cannot give you any advices
but I can share some experiences, ideas and thoughts.

Your first post sounds like you really read a lot in this forums.

Are you inattentive or hyperactive ADHD or ADHD-PI or ADHD-PH?
I am inattentive ADD aka ADHD-PI ( PI & PH are new to me)
If you took 2x15mg of dex/day before you are with 30mg lisdex/day
on a very low dosage which is an equivalent to ~13mg of dex/day
if I am not wrong. (please someone rectify if wrong) ^^
You are correct!
You are used to amp so I wonder why your doc is prescribing you the common
starting dose of 30mg Vyvavanse and not the equivalent of 70mg you are used to.
I'm going to have a chat with her about this, but I am not even sure I want to be on it anymore.
You are not the only one who experienced tics on ritalin. I have described it
as twitches that felt like parkinson (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1837608&postcount=9) in this thread on a study about neurotoxity.Thank you, because I remember telling my Psych about this and she looked at me as if I was making it up.

I tried microdosages like 5-10% of my regular dosage and experienced
Vyvanse having an effect like an anti-dullant (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180100&highlight=anti-dullant) working great on dysphoria.
So you also seem not to take another med.

You should call your doc and ask for 70mg to compare Vyvanse to Dex.

If he tells you to make it out of your 30mgs you should use a cup with a scale
to get a correct measured dosage. It is safe if you stir it and pour what you need
to another glass while it is still rotating.

Heavy masturbation and random researches sound to me like like desires to get
out of a state. I have no idea if out of a long-term or short-term state while
masturbation also can be a desire for extra dopamine due to a lack of it or pure
lust or simple boredom. Girls should better know as I can comment it only from a
mans view. Why dont you talk with you doc about it could be entertaining.
Lol, I'm actually embarrassed to even bring it up. Sure, there are times when I have the desire, but not in the middle of the day for hours! Heck, it's been going on every day now.

Mention others try to get this extra dopamine from smoking, coffee, sports or
adrenaline or take some Wellbutrin which inhibits DATs reuptake more than NT.

I would give Vyvanse a chance at a higher dosage because Dex in my experience
cant replace Vyvanses mood enhancement and taking multiple pills personally for
me is no option.

What do you experience being a day off Vyvanse?
Yesterday, I decided to not take Vyvanse, I was still very drowsy. I accomplished nothing. I couldn't even force myself to go to work so I called out. It's been rough. Guess what I did most of the day?? :(

It is up to you I swear on my happiness.
I want to be happy too and I experienced that while taking Vyvanse AT FIRST, but now it's the opposite. I swear it's no longer working for me.

I hope I could help a little.
Thank you for your time and patience with me responding back two days later.
Above

Riversong
09-23-16, 01:22 AM
I know for me, vyvanse was awful for my mood- but I am also bipolar so maybe this has something to do with it. I also have a resentment with vyvanse but I wont junk up your thread with it and it works for many people.

hehe, I have read your posts in the past. I know that you are not a fan of Vyvanse.

Riversong
09-23-16, 01:24 AM
I can say that my memory has improved while using vyvanse. I forgot to add in my first post that I've tried Wellbutrin and Lexapro. I came down off of wellbutrin really bad.

C15H25N3O
09-23-16, 04:10 AM
Lol, I'm actually embarrassed to even bring it up. Sure, there are times when I have the desire, but not in the middle of the day for hours! Heck, it's been going on every day now.
Fascinating! That is pure stimulation while effectiveness peak. Cant you switch the focus?

Yesterday, I decided to not take Vyvanse, I was still very drowsy. I accomplished nothing. I couldn't even force myself to go to work so I called out. It's been rough. Guess what I did most of the day??
So its root is not Vyvanse but "most of the day" sounds different to "middle of the day for hours" and Vyvanse gives you focus without interruption. lol

I want to be happy too and I experienced that while taking Vyvanse AT FIRST, but now it's the opposite. I swear it's no longer working for me.

Vyvanse is a happy stimulant and my first impression was great why I did not decide for dex. I had a great first week but the I experienced weird side-effects and nearly gave it up some times.

I worked on controlling the med over two months and got it working. Avoiding food for 3 hours is a key for a long lasting and stable effect.

Riversong
10-28-16, 07:07 PM
Just an update, I finally ran out of Vyvanse and let me tell you. The next two days were HORRIBLE. I was confused, had so much brain fog I had to think hard how to spell the word "the." Since my job is dealing with children, when I read a book to them, I struggled to get through it because the words that I read weren't registering and I was saying other words that weren't even in the book!

Not only that, I went to the wrong work site! It was so embarrassing. I was too hours late to my job because I was at the wrong place. I woke up so confused.