View Full Version : West Australian Prescribing Law Changes???

Ryangler
09-19-16, 02:35 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just had my 3 monthly consultation with my Psychiatrist who i have been seeing for over 7 years. I have been on Dexamphetamine since I was in early Primary School have been on 45mg a day for the last 5 years at least. I manage my condition and medication well, dont abuse it and have previously voluntarily reduced my prescription from 55mg to 50mg and now down to 45mg. Ideally I want to be off meds eventually for my long term health

At my most recent consult my Psych claimed that there had been agreements between the states to limit prescriptions to a maximum of 8 tablets without a 2nd opinion, that the actual limit was 6 but because I have been prescribed for so long that he can go to 6. I've googled and I can't find any reference to this on government websites.

I get the impression that my Psych isn't being honest and he is trying to decrease my dose. When I started with him he was open about trying to decrease my meds from 55mg and initially I was ok with this, because it was on my own terms. I've been on 45mg for a while now and its whats working for me with where I'm at in my life so I don't want to change it at the moment.

Has anyone else from West Australia received this information from their physician?.

Thanks

Firefly Diva
11-30-16, 01:07 AM
Hey Ryangler,

It is true that in all states OTHER than Western Australia, psychiatrists are limited to prescribing a maximum of 6 dexamphetamine tablets per day. This is NOT the case in WA where the maximum remains 12 tablets per day. If you are under 18, the maximum daily dose is further limited to 1mg/kg of your body weight. As far as I know, no state requires a second opinion for any particular dosage.

Even though the law allows 12 tablets per day in WA, I gather the health department puts pressure on psychiatrists to prescribe as few as possible, even where this will be detrimental to the patient.

In other words, your doctor is not being honest. He can legally prescribe a much higher dose than what you are taking. He probably just doesn't like the health department's attention.

TheTalon
12-08-16, 07:19 PM
My Psych said 6 5mg tablets of dexamphetamine per day is the max, this is NSW. He did mention that if there was a need he can apply for more.

Going to be a struggle to manage on that much, I seem to need 3 doses of 3 tablets. Fortunately I don't take it on weekends unless I really need it socially. I also have a few bottles of it in surplus, because my dex prescription covered a period of 3 months when I was on Strattera.

I keep comprehensive spreadsheet logs of my symptoms, side effects, dosage and timing. So it will be interesting to see what my psych says when I visit again in Feb.