View Full Version : Understanding ADD and indecision

Worship77
09-19-16, 01:04 PM
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and have recently had a series of new events that have caused me to re-evaluate the way I make decisions and why.
I am wondering if people could share their experiences with indecision and any insight you have as to why it can be so prevalent with add.
Thanks!
Jenny :)

Nytroflow
09-19-16, 02:45 PM
New too. Just diagnosed and still hyperfocused on reseaching anything ADD related.

I've come across something on the forum called analysis paralysis (cant remember what thread). More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analysis_paralysis

I think I might experience this a lot. My mind is overthinking/analysing and observing everything and anything. Cant shut it off, always thought this was normal until I started researching. It's probably also related to OCD but i'm not sure in what ways exactly.

I noticed a small trend though. Not entirely sure but I think its worse the more the decisions has anything to do with me as a person outwards rather than choices of which the results affect me. Like choosing a nickname for a forum/game rather than what to eat for dinner.

Cheers

sarahsweets
09-19-16, 04:46 PM
Fear. Thats always it for me. Fear of the wrong choice, but especially of the unknown.

Delboy31
09-19-16, 07:57 PM
Fear for sure, and also that I honestly will forget one of the options, and make an ill-informed decision that I can't let go off, calling myself stupid in head over and over...when I should have written all of the avenues available and made an informed decision.

When I'm not forgetting when making a decision it is just plain ordinary fear of being stupid and make yet another wrong life decision.

ADXP
09-20-16, 03:06 PM
In my case I was too young 8 yrs.old when the head trauma happened my brain have not even fully develop. I was in my 30s when I get diagnosed of brain injury. All of my life are series of chaos as I never learn how to form a decision. When I was diagnosed my attention span is only two minutes which is consistent with an 8 yrs.old. Until now I still struggle with planning & decision making. These two tasks makes me freeze blank out.

I don't think somebody in here has the same dosage of medicine that works for me which is very high dose. 90 mg a day.

The meds really makes a difference.

What I do to compensate these two functions is to skip anything that involves them. I reformat my brain & build new patterns of thinking that does not require decision making & planning. I erased everything that I use to do & build new ones. And trained myself to make them become a habit. Habits does not require thinking your brain becomes in an auto reset mode ready to engage.

RjoyD1
09-30-16, 02:18 PM
I have ADHD-PI and I definitely can be really indecisive.

Mostly because I'm afraid of making the wrong choice, which I've done before. I also have had past tendencies to jump into things when I shouldn't.

Pilgrim
10-01-16, 09:08 PM
Cognitive anxiety perhaps?

julialouise
10-01-16, 09:12 PM
"do you want the receipt?"
"uuuhhhhhh................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

mom: "where do you want to go for dinner?"
me: "uuuhhhhhhhhh...,,,,,,"

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2013-10/enhanced/webdr06/14/12/anigif_enhanced-buzz-10955-1381767081-17.gif