View Full Version : I think my doctor has it wrong

Ted9396
09-19-16, 04:04 PM
I'm a 23 yr old female, i was at the doctors today cause I'm worried the way I am is going to get me fired sometimes. I can't keep my concentration at work , I completely zone out a few times a day like there is nothing what so ever going on in my brain when it happens. My anger is a big problem too, I get irritated so easily and that can turn into full blown rage.
So I talked to my doctor about these problems and she asked me a few questions about my driving and certain other things. After that she said it sounds like attention deficit disorder and asked me was that mentioned to me when I was in school and it wasn't so she said no it's not add because teachers would have picked up on it already.
I left the doctor with nothing but a phone number for anger management, I feel more messed up now than I did before I went to see the doctor.
I went home and googled add, it basically describes my whole life and makes so much sense to me.
Is she right that I can't have it because it would have been spotted by a teacher already?

sarahsweets
09-19-16, 04:45 PM
No, she is wrong and I wouldnt go back to her. Many children with adhd are overlooked and teachers are not the ones who always pick up on adhd- especially if your issues are inattentiveness instead of hyperactivity. You may not have had a whole lot of academic trouble in school either. You need a doctor that specializes in adult adhd, and is able to evaluate you on what symptoms you had and have, not evaluate you on what other teachers and people didnt notice.

Lunacie
09-19-16, 04:47 PM
I'm a 23 yr old female, i was at the doctors today cause I'm worried the way I am is going to get me fired sometimes. I can't keep my concentration at work , I completely zone out a few times a day like there is nothing what so ever going on in my brain when it happens. My anger is a big problem too, I get irritated so easily and that can turn into full blown rage.
So I talked to my doctor about these problems and she asked me a few questions about my driving and certain other things. After that she said it sounds like attention deficit disorder and asked me was that mentioned to me when I was in school and it wasn't so she said no it's not add because teachers would have picked up on it already.
I left the doctor with nothing but a phone number for anger management, I feel more messed up now than I did before I went to see the doctor.
I went home and googled add, it basically describes my whole life and makes so much sense to me.
Is she right that I can't have it because it would have been spotted by a teacher already?

:mad: Bad doctor. Teachers are not diagnositicians.

Kids who have primarily inattentive adhd traits often fly under teacher's radar.

If you think it's a real possibility, you could look for a second opinion. I'd say go to someone who really understands adhd if possible, like a psychiatrist.

Hermus
09-19-16, 04:58 PM
Myself I'm 31 and after having struggled during my twenties I have recently been diagnosed ADD. In my years in school it has never been picked up, since my mum provided structure to my life and my high intelligence made me pass tests easily even while being inattentive. So the reason your doctor gave why you can't have AD(H)D is totally ridiculous. It is clear that she doesn't know what she is talking about.

Nytroflow
09-19-16, 05:21 PM
Just got diagnosed myself (26). Very lucky to have a keen doctor on picking up on small Q's during our conversation. I had trouble even believing my doctor to take the next few steps myself, but if the evidence stacks up based on your past, cascading throughout all your problems/experiences growing up and seeing that it can actually impair you from functioning and living a healthy life. Then I suggest fighting for it. Get yourself someone qualified to ask you the proper questions and is willing to guide/help you taking the next steps.

Cyllya
09-20-16, 02:45 AM
Ugh, that is ridiculous.

As Lunacie said, teachers are not diagnosticians. Further, students are not patients, so even if teachers were qualified to diagnose neurodevelopmental problems, they aren't even looking for such problems in all their students. (When I was a kid, there were indeed a small number of health problems that the schools did universal screenings for--vision problems, some kind of spine problem--ADHD was NOT one of those.) The school system's purpose is supposed to be educating you, and even then they only care about a certain subset of skills/knowledge. They do not give a rat's butt about any medical conditions you may or may not have unless it interferes with that purpose (and they have reason to believe the condition is the cause of that interference) and/or requires disability accommodations.

I believe teachers get some training in common conditions such as ADHD (not enough to diagnose anyone, but they should be more knowledgeable than random schmoes, theoretically), though I'm not sure if that was the case back when we were kids. However, even if your teachers suspected you might have ADHD, if it wasn't causing any problems that are their business, they're probably not going to bring it up. Suggesting that someone has a psychiatric disorder is generally considered rude and inappropriate; suggesting to someone that their kid has a psychiatric disorder is usually unwelcome. If they were going to bring it up, they'd probably tell your parents when you were around. Further, many teachers may interpret behavior problems and academic problems as a character flaw, low intelligence, crappy parenting, or other causes.

ADHD is supposed to have been there since childhood, which might be what your doctor was shooting for, but teachers aren't guaranteed to point it out when they see it.

Personally, I didn't need to concentrate much in school, so it wasn't really relevant. (I wasn't significantly hyperactive or impulsive, but the behavior problems I had apparently weren't problems... perhaps because I was white, female, modestly dressed, quiet, and academically talented? I once punched a teacher in the stomach with zero consequences.)

Pilgrim
09-20-16, 03:03 AM
Yeah, basically the dr doesn't know. So they give you that other crap. They won't tell you they don't know though.

Toss4n
09-20-16, 06:53 AM

Anger management? Wtf? :lol: Yeah go see another Dr.

Fuzzy12
09-20-16, 07:11 AM
Yes, wrong. I was diagnosed aged 35 and thought he signs were there I doubt anyone could have suspected adhd when I was a kid. Let alone my teachers especially since it was much asker to believe (and much more plausible) that I was just lazy and unmotivated.

Lunacie
09-20-16, 09:19 AM
Further, many teachers may interpret behavior problems and academic problems as a character flaw, low intelligence, crappy parenting, or other causes.

And this is still happening. Five years ago my autistic granddaughter was in our local school system, being blamed for being manipulative.

She was using the only tools she had to get what she needed, and it wasn't working. Don't know if they blamed us as parents.

When she was transferred to the school for kids with behaviorial problems, the principal was amazed at how involved we were, how much we cared, how we were trying to help her and the school work things out.

Because we were advocating for her and they were willing to listen to us, she wasn't allowed to return to that school because ... her behavior wasn't a problem there. Ironic, eh?

kilted_scotsman
09-20-16, 02:04 PM
Aspergers/ADHD in women is often missed. firstly in school because it's not in the frame because teachers are much more aware of it in boys. Likewise GP's psych's and counsellors tend not to associate ADHD/Aspergers with women so it gets under-diagnosed.

Also this isn't the sort of thing a GP can diagnose..... if she thought ADHD then she should have got it checked out by a psych...

If the irish healthcare is similar to the UK, press for a private referral. It's the best way to get things moving.

Ted9396
09-20-16, 06:09 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was just labelled a trouble maker in school so teachers would never think there was anything else going on other than me being lazy and a brat. Every report card I ever got said the same thing that I was well capable if I just applied myself and tried harder. I really don't know what to do next, every aspect of my life is just one big scattered and unorganized mess. I'm so mad at my doctor, I thought going to her would give me a bit of light but now I feel so hopeless and more angry than ever. I made the appointment for the anger management anyway, it can't hurt but that's not the only issue , hopefully they know what's wrong and can refer me to the right person cause I havnt a clue who to go to

Fuzzy12
09-20-16, 09:05 PM
Could you see a different psychiatrist? ?

Cyllya
09-20-16, 11:14 PM
Also this isn't the sort of thing a GP can diagnose..... if she thought ADHD then she should have got it checked out by a psych...

Just FYI, in some countries, GPs can diagnose and treat ADHD. (I got curious and tried to google it. Looks like it's not allowed in the UK, but it's acceptable in the USA and is the expected first stop in Australia. I couldn't find out for other countries.)

jackloe2002
09-21-16, 01:21 AM
Hi All

I have also had such problems but got completely cured and I have given the solution in my thread called "ADHD solution" in this forum under my name Jackloe2002. Pls. check and follow.

Lunacie
09-21-16, 09:14 AM
Hi All

I have also had such problems but got completely cured and I have given the solution in my thread called "ADHD solution" in this forum under my name Jackloe2002. Pls. check and follow.

That's not "the" solution. That's "your" solution. As I responded in your thread, my solution was different.

sarahsweets
09-21-16, 09:26 AM
Hi All

There is no cure for adhd.

Lunacie
09-21-16, 09:50 AM
There is no cure for adhd.

Exactly right. If Jackloe stops taking the supplement that has proven helpful, s/he will likely return to the same state as before. Treatment works, and continues to work. It doesn't cure.

Tetrahedra
09-21-16, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies. I was just labelled a trouble maker in school so teachers would never think there was anything else going on other than me being lazy and a brat. Every report card I ever got said the same thing that I was well capable if I just applied myself and tried harder. I really don't know what to do next, every aspect of my life is just one big scattered and unorganized mess. I'm so mad at my doctor, I thought going to her would give me a bit of light but now I feel so hopeless and more angry than ever. I made the appointment for the anger management anyway, it can't hurt but that's not the only issue , hopefully they know what's wrong and can refer me to the right person cause I havnt a clue who to go to

I'm 200% certain that this is a classic response from teachers when dealing with an undiagnosed ADHD male. Behavioral problems often coexist with ADHD.

I'm not a trouble maker, but I do know that people thought I wasn't applying myself as I ought to have. And I wasn't . . . because I have ADHD and I couldn't apply myself without learning the skills necessary to do so and having the resources and support to know when and how to ask for help. Unfortunately I was never diagnosed as a kid, and it wasn't until I was older that, like you, I noticed that I was struggling with work and knew something had to be going on.

Your doctor likely isn't familiar enough with ADHD to give a diagnosis or referral and isn't honest enough to admit that she isn't. Seek a second opinion. If possible, find someone who specializes in ADHD. Bring a list of your ADHD traits and reasons you think you have ADHD to the appointment so you don't forget or miss anything.