View Full Version : Alcohol withdrawal, sugar craving and change of meds. HELP!

Syndicki
09-19-16, 07:01 PM
Hi,

I got fired from my job, primarily as a result of my drinking. I was taking Vyvance 50MG and as I no longer have private health insurance, I had to move to the equivalent generic addarol dosage, which seems to be working OK so far.

I am attending AA on a daily basis and have not had a drink in 15 days. I am over the worse of the withdrawal symptoms but my body is craving sugar and coffee and for my ADD brain this is not good. I'm going from happy to sad to angry etc.

I started taking glucose rather than drinking coca cola but this had a bad effect. Too much coffee is making me anxious. Please advise...

I want to see if the new medication is working OK but am struggling with the withdrawal symptoms and need to make the most of my day so I can properly job hunt.

Thanks

sarahsweets
09-20-16, 04:31 AM
Hi,

I got fired from my job, primarily as a result of my drinking. I was taking Vyvance 50MG and as I no longer have private health insurance, I had to move to the equivalent generic addarol dosage, which seems to be working OK so far.

I am attending AA on a daily basis and have not had a drink in 15 days. I am over the worse of the withdrawal symptoms but my body is craving sugar and coffee and for my ADD brain this is not good. I'm going from happy to sad to angry etc.

I started taking glucose rather than drinking coca cola but this had a bad effect. Too much coffee is making me anxious. Please advise...

I want to see if the new medication is working OK but am struggling with the withdrawal symptoms and need to make the most of my day so I can properly job hunt.

Thanks

I am also in recovery from alcohol. I will celebrate 4 years in december. I was told that in the beginning not to worry things like sugar and calories. Your main concern and problem is alcohol- worrying about anything else takes the focus off that. It took me a good 2 months to get over the physical withdrawal stuff (i was that bad) before I could even think about changing anything else. Caffeine can be a rough for someone newly in recovery because your nervous system is already going haywire- and caffeine can mess with it. Personally, I never had trouble with caffeine so I didnt need to stop that. I was told once that I should try lolipops or gum because they give you a little sugar boost without breaking the bank when it comes to fat and calories. I still use them to this day at meetings. I order a case of Charms Lolipops from Amazon every few months, and always share them.

Its tempting to want to make major changes about everything when you are new in sobriety. I have seen people join gyms, change jobs and relationships but it tends to backfire because those people never got any time to get used to just existing without alcohol- and couldnt handle all the change.
Congrats ob 15 days, it may not seem like a lot compared to others but its huge. There was a time when I couldnt go 2 hours without alcohol.