View Full Version : Are there any proofs that ADHD exists?

Remember79
09-20-16, 02:37 PM
Are there any proofs that ADHD exists? If so can any of you refer to some articles about it?

Thanks in advance! :)

namazu
09-20-16, 02:44 PM
As a start, you could read the "sticky" thread in this section that was begun to address exactly this question (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16810).

It's a bit dated now, but it's a start.

mildadhd
09-21-16, 11:23 PM
Are you familiar with executive function and self-regulation?

Children aren’t born with these skills—they are born with the potential to develop them. If children do not get what they need from their relationships with adults and the conditions in their environments—or (worse) if those influences are sources of toxic stress—their skill development can be seriously delayed or impaired. Adverse environments resulting from neglect, abuse, and/or violence may expose children to toxic stress, which disrupts brain architecture and impairs the development of executive function.

http://developingchild.harvard.edu/science/key-concepts/executive-function/

G

Hermus
09-22-16, 09:52 AM
There is a large body of literature on the existence of ADHD. So yes, there is a lot of proof.

Among others this review article:

http://www.biologicalpsychiatryjournal.com/article/S0006-3223(04)01100-X/abstract

Wuvmy3kitties
09-22-16, 10:52 AM
Would any of this be beneficial in persuading my psychiatrist that I have it? He doesn't believe it exists. I was diagnosed in 1978, so I can't exactly call the doctor's office and get the records. :D

Greyhound1
09-22-16, 12:16 PM
Would any of this be beneficial in persuading my psychiatrist that I have it? He doesn't believe it exists. I was diagnosed in 1978, so I can't exactly call the doctor's office and get the records. :D

Your Psychiatrist doesn't believe ADHD exists? It sounds easier to find a professional that knows it exists.

I wouldn't waste time trying to convince a Dr. that ADHD exists. I wish you the best in your efforts but it sounds futile.

mildadhd
09-24-16, 02:43 PM
ADHD (also known as deficits of executive function/deficits of self-regulation) always has more more than one causation factor. (see abstract link posted by Hermus)

Infants/toddlers that are born/inherit a more emotionally hypersensitive temperament, are more sensitive to emotional distresses, and during their early development are much more likely to be impaired by consistent early life emotional distresses.

Consistent emotional distresses that may not appear to be consistently emotionally distressful to a person born/inherited with a more robust emotional temperament.

G

aeon
09-24-16, 03:18 PM
Are there any proofs that ADHD exists?

Iíll video myself the first hour after waking up, and put it up on YouTube.

That should be all you need. :doh:

Hehe,
Ian

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 02:00 PM
I love videos demonstrating obvious medications effects.
There are not too many before/after videos on youtube.

Lunacie
09-28-16, 04:50 PM
I love videos demonstrating obvious medications effects.
There are not too many before/after videos on youtube.

Interesting idea. My son-in-law didn't believe in adhd until he saw the difference after his daughter had taken her meds. ;)

C15H25N3O
10-03-16, 09:23 AM
hmmm, this is still no proof something called "ADHD" exists
but there is an obvious proof for paradox effects of substances
with stigma that have positive effects on some peoples behaviour.

mctavish23
10-03-16, 09:54 AM
On the contrary, there is abundant proof that ADHD "exists."

The data have been around for (literally) many years.

One of the best references is Russell Barkley's International Consensus 2002, available

on his website.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

ginniebean
10-03-16, 11:35 AM
Adhd existing is not a controversy. Medicallt the support for it's existence in research is unequivocal. It exists. Try a doc who doesn't rely on his faulty opinion instead find someone who has read and understands the evidence.