View Full Version : Been in another world my whole life!

junebaby05
09-21-16, 01:44 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm 29 and just now on ADD medication. I started with Vyvanse 30mg. It was amazing but my insurance changed and the cost was to high. Now I'm on 10mg Focalin. It's not working as much. Not sure how everyone deals with how these medications can and can not work.
I have always been spaced out. I just figured I was shy or something. When I first started Vyvanse it was like the world slowed down and I was aware of all my surroundings. I actually paid attention and not ask someone to repeat a comment non stop! 😂
Anyways I'm a mother of 2 boys and now I can help them more and I'm more aware of what's going on. At first I thought it was depression and my doctor said have you ever had your ADD treated... I was in shock! He then told me I needed to treat it first. I went from giving up on life and feel like I'm going insane to loving life within a week. Although focalin is not doing anything what Vyvanse does I can still see a change in my attitude and personality. Anyone else been misdiagnosed for so long? I was never able to pay attention in school and I thought it was just me. I struggled alot. Even with Jobs. I wish everyone the best xoxo

sarahsweets
09-22-16, 04:19 AM
Hello everyone.

I'm 29 and just now on ADD medication. I started with Vyvanse 30mg. It was amazing but my insurance changed and the cost was to high. Now I'm on 10mg Focalin. It's not working as much. Not sure how everyone deals with how these medications can and can not work.
I have always been spaced out. I just figured I was shy or something. When I first started Vyvanse it was like the world slowed down and I was aware of all my surroundings. I actually paid attention and not ask someone to repeat a comment non stop! 😂
Anyways I'm a mother of 2 boys and now I can help them more and I'm more aware of what's going on. At first I thought it was depression and my doctor said have you ever had your ADD treated... I was in shock! He then told me I needed to treat it first. I went from giving up on life and feel like I'm going insane to loving life within a week. Although focalin is not doing anything what Vyvanse does I can still see a change in my attitude and personality. Anyone else been misdiagnosed for so long? I was never able to pay attention in school and I thought it was just me. I struggled alot. Even with Jobs. I wish everyone the best xoxo

I was diagnosed but untreated for years. I was thinking, how about trying something like adderall or dexedrine? Vyvanse and focalin are two different classed of drugs(amphetamine vs methylphenidate). If the vyvanse worked well and the focalin is so-so its worth a shot.

Enough Rope
10-05-16, 01:43 PM
I am fairly new to all this myself, and will warn you that while the meds seem amazing at first, they do not "fix" everything. I am finding at 51 that I have to learn to deal with life with the awareness of my 'difference'. It's like now I am aware of what I am not handling, and find myself at a loss for what to do with the big pile of wreckage in the middle of my life.

You are young yet, so maybe you can get much of it right the first time! :)

Toss4n
10-07-16, 04:38 AM
Hello everyone.

Difference is probably due to Focalin not releasing dopamine, only inhibiting its re-uptake. I would also like to try something other than methylphenidate, but need to see a private psychiatrist as the one I'm seeing now doesn't prescribe them to adults for some reason, probably due to a lot of misuse (really sucks that everyone is punished because of the misdeeds of a few). :(

Great that you've found something that works! Would work my *** off to be able to pay for it myself if it made my symptoms go away! :giggle:

Enough Rope
10-08-16, 01:53 PM
I wish I understood more what to expect from the meds. I am on Vyvanse, which is pretty costly, and at first it was amazing! I felt like a new person... but as time goes on, I find myself befuddle occasionally and overwhelmed often, but it also seems like circumstances get tougher and tougher... like the heat keeps getting cranked up on my pressure cooker.

I have become very aware of my shortcomings in planning, scheduling and being prepared for life, and I find myself wondering if my newfound awareness with the Vyvanse is just illuminating what I should have been seeing all along, or if the Vyvanse is becoming less effective.

Honestly, it is probably that I have been flying by the seat of my pants all my life, and I have to learn a different way. I really wish i had discovered that I was ADHD BEFORE I finished college.

Toss4n
10-09-16, 02:48 AM
I wish I understood more what to expect from the meds. I am on Vyvanse, which is pretty costly, and at first it was amazing! I felt like a new person... but as time goes on, I find myself befuddle occasionally and overwhelmed often, but it also seems like circumstances get tougher and tougher... like the heat keeps getting cranked up on my pressure cooker.

I have become very aware of my shortcomings in planning, scheduling and being prepared for life, and I find myself wondering if my newfound awareness with the Vyvanse is just illuminating what I should have been seeing all along, or if the Vyvanse is becoming less effective.

Honestly, it is probably that I have been flying by the seat of my pants all my life, and I have to learn a different way. I really wish i had discovered that I was ADHD BEFORE I finished college.

I think the dopamine-increase you first get when starting vyvanse wears off quite quickly as the dopamine-receptors increase in density (upregulation), and I don't think there's anything really you can do about it (really crappy that you brain gets used to an increase in dopamine so quickly). Think the major benefit of these drugs is just an increased awareness, just like you said, which helps you with organizing and planning.