View Full Version : Ugh... insurance issues and medication changes! I feel doomed

junebaby05
09-21-16, 02:06 PM
Just got dx and was put on Vyvanse 30mg and was doing pretty amazing. Went to fill it, I have new insurance now and over 200.00 with assistance. So was switched to 10mg Focalin. It's not doing great. Anyone ever have a medication that made them feel normal and can't take it anymore due to affordability? I feel like now I'm doomed. I was finally feeling normal, my husband and I were getting along amazing. I actually wanted to do things... now not really. How do I deal with this? I'm so lost when it comes to these medications. Am I just having a hard time or does others deal with the same issues?

ToneTone
09-21-16, 03:00 PM
Very frustrating ...

Observation ... it seems a little odd that you went from Vyvanse, part of the amphetamine family of ADHD meds ... to Focalin, which is part of the Methylphenidate (Ritalin) family of meds.

If you had great success on Vyvanse, I would think the next best thing to try would be Adderall XR and Dexedrine, both of which are available in generic form.

I assume your copay is so high because your insurance company wants you to try a generic medicine ...

Yes, it's very frustrating ... but there is a possibility that you could have a good reaction to the Ritalin class of meds ... I react well to meds in both families ... The methylphenidate gives me a lot of energy and drive ... and the Adderall and Vyvanse tend to give me more quiet and an ability to step back and see things ...

I don't know what you income is ... But Shire is the maker of Vyvanse and companies do give out free medications to people under a certain income ... You might google "Shire" and "patient services" to see what their program is like and if you qualify.

Sorry to hear of your struggles with getting the med that seems to fit you.

Tone

aeon
09-21-16, 03:26 PM
Switch to Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine sulfate CR spansules/capsules.

Exact same active ingredient as Vyvanse, and available in generic form.

Cheers,
Ian