View Full Version : A Request for Our Folks Residing in Great Britain

salleh
09-21-16, 04:35 PM
.....I don't have a TV here in California, and while I am working on my jewelry pieces, I do like to watch youtube ......I am a massive fan of British TV and would love some suggestions of shows I can watch on you tube .....they can be old shows....I particularly adore the British Panel Show ......and history too ....

the shows I have watched already

Qi ( so many many many times each episode !) ( all episodes)
Would I Lie to You ( rabid David Mitchell fan ) (all episodes)
Mock the Week ( all episodes )
Have I Got News for You ( working my way through all episodes)
8 Out of 10 Cats ( most of the episodes )
Nevermind the Buzzcocks ( all of the episodes without that POS simon what's his name, cannot abide that jerk)
I've seen all the BIg Fat Quizes too

Just about anything with David MItchell, Stephen Fry, Dara Obrian ( sp) Michael McIntyre, John Bishop, Jack Whitehall, Sandy Tovsig, Sue Perkins, Dylan Moran and a bunch of other great comedians ...oh and Tim Minchin ...

also loved the 3 Men in a Boat series .....

Watched all episodes of the Scottish Clans ...

Does anyone have any ideas for me ? ....I much prefer British shows to American shows ...and ones that you can listen to more than watch ....example ....I dearly love the UK version of Antiques Roadshow, but I have to watch that ....can't work on something at the same time .....

I love Youtube ...you can find just about anything you want there ....but I need some more suggestions .....help ?

midnightstar
09-21-16, 04:37 PM
Dave Gorman Modern Life is Goodish :) Hilarious but unsuitable for posting on the forum :lol: :D

Fuzzy12
09-21-16, 04:41 PM
If you like stand up you could look for 'live at the apollo' or anything from the Edinburgh comedy festival. Also Kevin bridges, my favourite stand up comedian. I love Kevin bridges!! :):):)

Michael mcintyre 's roadshow

Channel 4 comedy gala

Do you like sitcoms? Murder mysteries? :D

Only fools and horses is a brilliant sitcom abd I'm assuming you've waTched fawlty towers.

Also, outnumbered!! It stars Hugh Dennis from mock the week.

Do you know Lee mack? He's another stand up who has acted in a sitcom called 'not going out' not too brainy but super funny

peripatetic
09-21-16, 04:55 PM
i'm currently in the states...not so far from you, dear salleh ;)

but i love the prisoner. it's an oldie, but a goodie.

Hermus
09-21-16, 05:01 PM
You specifically state the panel shows. I don't know whether you also like other types of British comedy. Shows that I particularly like

The Young Ones
Keeping Up Appearances
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Office (The UK version is much better than the American version)
Little Britain

salleh
09-21-16, 11:26 PM
a few goodies to check out thanks folks ....and more please ! .....

as for Monty Python ...h*** I can recite the words from ALL of their TV shows by heart ....and most of the movies too.....Fawlty Towers, the same ....( as a matter of fact, my ex and I traded our time share in Park City for a week in Torquay for a honeymoon ! it really is a very pretty town )

Michael McIntyres Road Shows too ...love them .....

have to check out the sitcoms ...they're ok, but the reason I like the panel shows is that is where the true personality of the guests shows .....

I also have seen most of Graham Norton's shows too, he's very funny and I love his format of having all the guests on at once and how they relate to each other, not just him, the way that all US talk show are set up .....so very funny happenings on that show ....the fact they drink openly could be a factor ....

For the most part, the UK shows are for adults...and I am constantly surprised by the language and discussions they take for granted there, whereas here it would be bleep city ......I love that adult can act and speak like adults on UK TV ....

also a big fan of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore's work over there .....their movie Dazzle ( a unique version of Faust) is hysterical ......
( I think that is the title, could be remembering it wrong)

Fuzzy12
09-26-16, 04:15 PM
Just started watching would I lie to you.

It is hilarious. :lol:

salleh
09-27-16, 05:32 PM
YOu've never seen that ?? ....oh you are in for a treat .....I adore David Mitchell....and the thing going back and forth with Lee Mack is hysterical ....

I don't much care for what's his name ....the moderator .....he's way too impressed with himself and is forever making the most obvious and stupid jokes ....he's one of the few BRitish comics I can't stand ......but I love David MItchell enough to ignore that guy ...

are you watching them on you tube ?? cause there's several years of delight awaiting you there .....

someothertime
09-29-16, 10:27 AM
some mothers do have em' ( oooo ahhhhh betttyyyyyyy!!!! ) ;)

TygerSan
09-29-16, 10:34 AM
It seems as though you're more into the comedy than the dramatic. My tastes run more towards the mysteries. I am currently enjoying Ripper Street which is set in London right after the last Ripper murder has taken place.

The historical context is fascinating. I'm on season 2, and the police officers are just starting to contend with a new drug on the street, heroin.

salleh
09-29-16, 12:04 PM
Oh yah most assuredly into comedy ......I read mysteries, but don't care for them much in TV shoes or movies ......

I love to laugh, and the Brits really have the sense of humor that appeals to me .....I haven't much been into politics for many decades up until I joined FB and watch all those British panel shows, .....and now I can say I am up on both our countries ....both "Have I Got News For You" and "Mock the Week" are paneled by comics and they are sharp ....HIGNFY usually has a comic and a politician paired with the 2 regulars.....with a guest host who can be either ...oh and they sometimes throw a straight news person in either as guest or host ( known as the presenter in England)

....Here in the states, politics are made fun of by the host ( and their writers )of a late night show during their monologue, while the panel shows in England have the whole crew tossing politicians and their ways around between them .....ours is scripted for the most part, and the Brits are off the cuff ......stand up comics from both countries throw in their 2 cents ....

..ALso the panel shows have a roster of different people they use and it's kind of a large group that hit all the shows, and the comics themselves often have a sit-com or other show they do .....British shows have a much shorter season than US shows ....usually about 15 shows per year ....so it doesn't take me long to go through each shows backlog when I discover them .....

Fuzzy12
09-29-16, 12:31 PM
YOu've never seen that ?? ....oh you are in for a treat .....I adore David Mitchell....and the thing going back and forth with Lee Mack is hysterical ....

I don't much care for what's his name ....the moderator .....he's way too impressed with himself and is forever making the most obvious and stupid jokes ....he's one of the few BRitish comics I can't stand ......but I love David MItchell enough to ignore that guy ...

are you watching them on you tube ?? cause there's several years of delight awaiting you there .....

No 8d never watched it :eek:

I don't like the moderator either. Rob brydon. I love Lee mack though. Really try 'not going out'. It's sort of a sitcom but full of lee's one liners.

I wonder if mock the week is really unscripted. I can't really believe that anyone can be that spontaneously funny. I know they repeat some of the routines in the section where two 9f them do s bit of stand up in a topic. They often reuse old material from their other shows.

Flory
09-29-16, 01:16 PM
.....I don't have a TV here in California, and while I am working on my jewelry pieces, I do like to watch youtube ......I am a massive fan of British TV and would love some suggestions of shows I can watch on you tube .....they can be old shows....I particularly adore the British Panel Show ......and history too ....

the shows I have watched already

Qi ( so many many many times each episode !) ( all episodes)
Would I Lie to You ( rabid David Mitchell fan ) (all episodes)
Mock the Week ( all episodes )
Have I Got News for You ( working my way through all episodes)
8 Out of 10 Cats ( most of the episodes )
Nevermind the Buzzcocks ( all of the episodes without that POS simon what's his name, cannot abide that jerk)
I've seen all the BIg Fat Quizes too

Just about anything with David MItchell, Stephen Fry, Dara Obrian ( sp) Michael McIntyre, John Bishop, Jack Whitehall, Sandy Tovsig, Sue Perkins, Dylan Moran and a bunch of other great comedians ...oh and Tim Minchin ...

also loved the 3 Men in a Boat series .....

Watched all episodes of the Scottish Clans ...

Does anyone have any ideas for me ? ....I much prefer British shows to American shows ...and ones that you can listen to more than watch ....example ....I dearly love the UK version of Antiques Roadshow, but I have to watch that ....can't work on something at the same time .....

I love Youtube ...you can find just about anything you want there ....but I need some more suggestions .....help ?
I'll have a little think for you and post back with some suggestions

Much love xxxxx x

stef
09-29-16, 01:58 PM
Oh i tjought of one hou may not have seen
" miranda"
A sitcom with this very tall woman.
Also dave allen standup