View Full Version : Ritalin dosage (Struggling to find a right dose)

Brap689
09-21-16, 04:56 PM
I m prescribed Ritalin for ADHD. My stated dose is 30mg daily but I can t get the doses evened out properly. If I take 10mg in the morning after breakfast I get the side effect of, not very sociable, unmotivated, anxious & a little paranoid I just haven t felt at ease. However I ve took my second afternoon dose 10mg 3 hours apart and now I feel myself but calm & happy I don t feel jumpy or anxious at all.

So my question is after breakfast do I take 20mg (x2 10mg tablets) in a single dose & then 10mg at late afternoon or just do I space them out 3 hours apart even though the morning dose is no good the way I feel?

I don t see the doctor for another 2 weeks

Just want an input & trying to see what works best without unwanted side effects

Btw I m been on this med for years, out of all the ADHD meds this one is by far the best when it works but just recently needs tweaking the right way as I mentioned I don't see my doctor for another 2 weeks.

sarahsweets
09-22-16, 04:21 AM
So my question is after breakfast do I take 20mg (x2 10mg tablets) in a single dose & then 10mg at late afternoon or just do I space them out 3 hours apart even though the morning dose is no good the way I feel?

Are you supposed to be on a total of 20mg a day or 30mg?
It does sound like you need a larger dose in the morning but you need to ask your doctor before making any changes, especially if it involves going beyond your prescribing dose and intructions.

ToneTone
09-23-16, 09:41 PM
This is the kind of discussion to have with your doctor.

The doctor needs to hear that you are not getting the results you want and needs to hear that you are thinking about how to space the medication. You want to keep the doctor in the loop because you might find that you just don't like the med and you want the doctor to know the various schedules you used in taking it, so the doc is up to speed.

Tone

passingthought
02-03-17, 03:06 PM
Either take it as prescribed for those two weeks or contact your psychiatrist (phone, email, etc) to discuss it sooner.