View Full Version : 504 and High School Math - Issues with small details affecting grades

bilhardt
09-24-16, 02:39 PM
Question - does anyone's child have a 504 that addresses completeness of answers. Both my ADD / ADHD children make silly mistakes on their math homework / tests that wreck havoc with their grades. My 10th grade son received a C on his last test because he did not include unit of measures on his some answer. Math is correct but it's counted as wrong because he didn't include cm, ft, u(2) etc.

What's frustrating is that some answers where he didn't include them where marked wrong and some the teacher just corrected the answer and accepted it. I assume she was being kind because if she hadn't he would have failed the test.

I find the whole thing frustrating because the attention to detail bit IS text book ADD. Am I crazy to ask an updated 504 to address "silly mistakes"?

namazu
09-24-16, 03:45 PM
It's easy to leave those things out; on the other hand, units are crucial details in almost all applications of math to science, business, construction, etc.

Instead of asking that those errors not be counted against him, I wonder if it might be more reasonable to request that the teacher ask him to check that he's included these details before he turns in a test, or allow him to correct the missing units for additional credit?

sarahsweets
09-25-16, 03:33 AM
Is his diagnosis adhd? What kind of evals were done to allow him the 594? Two of my kids had IEP's and one with a 504. The IEP's were much more accommodating.

Caco3girl
09-26-16, 08:12 AM
Question - does anyone's child have a 504 that addresses completeness of answers. Both my ADD / ADHD children make silly mistakes on their math homework / tests that wreck havoc with their grades. My 10th grade son received a C on his last test because he did not include unit of measures on his some answer. Math is correct but it's counted as wrong because he didn't include cm, ft, u(2) etc.

What's frustrating is that some answers where he didn't include them where marked wrong and some the teacher just corrected the answer and accepted it. I assume she was being kind because if she hadn't he would have failed the test.

I find the whole thing frustrating because the attention to detail bit IS text book ADD. Am I crazy to ask an updated 504 to address "silly mistakes"?

While I know it is frustrating it is sadly part of the subject and something non-ADHD kids mess up on as well. When I was in school and done with a test I had a checklist to go over before I handed it in...thank goodness for extended time. The check list said:

1. Is your name on the paper?
2. Did you check there are no problems on the back of the page?
3. Have you followed the directions and solved for the correct thing?
4. Is your answer simplified and with the correct units?
5. Did you circle your final answer?

It time consuming but it did allow me to go back and make sure I had done what the teacher needed me to do. It helped for me to do this at the END of my quiz/test...for some reason trying to do it in the moment of each questions didn't work.