View Full Version : Nuvigil

NateDEEzy
09-25-16, 12:16 PM
Anyone here with inattentive ADD take Nuvigil? I'm thinking about talking to my doctor. Currently not on meds but I'm becoming more and more depressed and withdrawn from life and need to do something. Don't really want to be on adderrall bc of the crash and headaches it gives me.

Bluechoo
09-25-16, 12:56 PM
I tried modafinil some years back. I found it gave a mild jolt of wakefulness... Like better than a cup of coffee, for a little while, then it wears off. But I never felt the relief of symptoms I get from something like adderall. Have you tried other amphetamine based meds? Adderall is not for everyone, but there are a few meds in the same class, and some people do better on others.

john2100
10-02-16, 10:39 AM
I agree with previous post , If you were on adderal or ritalin, and then you go on nuvigil or provigil you will probably be disappointed. I was on it for shift work disorder just 3-4 days.

One of the major side effects are headaches and stomach pain , much higher then in adderal .

Effects: You will feel awake, just like driknking a coffe but without that anxiety that coffee gives you . I didn;t like the feeling while on it.
I was on nuvigil after a break from adderal.
It gave me no motivation , no enhanced congnitive abilities, but I wasnt't falling a sleep at the wrong time.

You can try it, I think 1st script is free with a coupon on manuf. website,but you will probably not be happy with the results.

Maybe it may work for someone who never was on add meds.

I have the similar problem now with motivation and adderal . I'm not on adderall anymore becasuse I stopped seeing the benefits it gave me after 2 years and was getting more depressed . I'm thinking of trying welbutrin just for depression .

Two years on adderal , gave me solid habits regarding organization and goals.
Now i'm 100% organized and have a system in place that works without meds. I can even stay on task and finish it ,without a hard deadline, But I have no motivation . I hope welbutrin may fix it.

foreverwarrior
10-06-16, 01:48 AM
You aren't going to find what you are looking for in modafinil or Nuvigil. 1) They aren't for depression or ADHD - and while they can (....sort of maybe, but not really) help those conditions - it's usually indirectly. If you are worried about the crash from Adderall - just wait till the Nuvigil wears off. You are gonna come down harder than a comet. It's not for daily use on regular basis, and it actually becomes less effective every day you take it back to back (the half life is so long that the medication stays in your system...blah blah)....Bottom line - If you are worried about the crash, you won't find anything with this medication that will satisfy you. You will likely just be awake, but still have ADHD and all the symptoms of it. I've taken both Nuvigil and Provigil.

Consider Vyvanse, or Dextroamphetamine Sulphate. Vyvanse is one that definitely had a very weak crash - So much so that I barely noticed it.

sarahsweets
10-06-16, 09:27 AM
You are gonna come down harder than a comet. It's not for daily use on regular basis, and it actually becomes less effective every day you take it back to back (the half life is so long that the medication stays in your system...blah blah)....Bottom line - If you are worried about the crash, you won't find anything with this medication that will satisfy you. You will likely just be awake, but still have ADHD and all the symptoms of it. I've taken both Nuvigil and Provigil.

I disagree. Nuvigil and provigil are both meds that can be taken everyday.
My husband has narcolepsy and adhd and takes provigil. The basic difference between nuvigil and provigil is that nuvigil is basically missing an isomer or something like that and is the new med made by Cephlan which I suspect had something to do with provigil going generic. He takes it everyday for both conditions and it has not lost effect. He has been on the provigil for about ten years.
It is prescribed for daily use and while it might not do the trick for adhd, there really isn't a come down. In fact there is more of a crash from amphetamines.
Not trying to be a jerk here but I don't see how telling someone that it's not for
Daily use is helpful or correct.

foreverwarrior
10-06-16, 09:01 PM
I took it daily for quite a while - But I don't have narcolepsy. It boils down to a few things with those medications and one of them is the condition being treated. The chemical imbalance treated in Narcolepsy is much different than the ones being altered for someone without it. If you look at the absorption rates, provided by the manufacturing company and also medical studies, you see provigil "stacking" in its effects if there is not sufficient time between doses. It stimulates the hypothalamus and promotes activation of the orexin system, which was (to my knowledge) recently found to be key in narcolepsy. When you don't have those deficits - It is just not going to function as a dopamine releasing agent in a sufficient way to treat ADHD. It's great DRI, and also has some action on dopamine levels through the nicotinic system - But overall not pushing the right buttons for ADHD. It can be taken every day - but it's prescribed and marketed to be taken every other day, for sleep/shift disorder (primarily), or in increments of a few weeks at a time. It's different for narcolepsy though. There definitely is a comedown for those who do not have it. And a re-adjustment period after you stop taking it.

Texasbear
10-07-16, 06:21 PM
I talked with my Psychiatrist about using Nuvigil "off label" because I wanted to switch from Adderall IR to Nuvigil about two years ago when it first came on the market. It takes the Nuvigil about an hour to start working. I was taking the 250mg tablet. It kept me awake for pretty much most of the day, but it did nothing for my cognition or ability to get anything accomplished.

Another issue I had after using the Nuvigil for about three weeks was that I noticed that I was having an issue passing urine. I was starting to get a UTI due to this medication. It was like I needed to use the bathroom, but my bladder was locked up. Luckily, I have had a UTI in the past and I knew the feeling of the beginning of the symptoms. I caught this early and luckily I didn't have to go to the ER or a clinic. I called my primary care physician and he called in a prescription for a cycle of Cypro to get rid of the UTI. Ritilin caused the same problem for me an my primary care physician treated that issue as well. The first time I had this problem, I waited far too long and it was a miserable thing to have to go through.

I recognized the early symptoms from the first time, so I got my primary care physician to call in a perscrption and I started taking the Cypro immediately. It worked overnight and I started not having the urge to go to the bathroom by the next morning. Even though it cleared up quickly, you have to take the Cypro for two weeks. I was lucky that I acted quickly before the UTI got really bad. I went back on 60mgs of Adderall a day divided at mid day.

My Psyciatrist said I should set my alarm and wake up an hour earlier and take the Nuvigil, and return to sleep. I had no issue with this regimen, the Nuvigil just didn't work out for me. It may work for some, but unless you have very good insurance, it is a very expensive medication. I was paying a $5.00 co-pay for a 30 day supply, but its like $625 for a months supply without insurance.

Texasbear
10-07-16, 06:40 PM
I disagree. Nuvigil and provigil are both meds that can be taken everyday.
My husband has narcolepsy and adhd and takes provigil. The basic difference between nuvigil and provigil is that nuvigil is basically missing an isomer or something like that and is the new med made by Cephlan which I suspect had something to do with provigil going generic. He takes it everyday for both conditions and it has not lost effect. He has been on the provigil for about ten years.
It is prescribed for daily use and while it might not do the trick for adhd, there really isn't a come down. In fact there is more of a crash from amphetamines.
Not trying to be a jerk here but I don't see how telling someone that it's not for
Daily use is helpful or correct.

I have to agree with this quote as I had no issues with daily usage nor discontinuation. The Nuvigil did make me a little more grouchy than normal, but it just didn't work for me.

foreverwarrior
10-08-16, 06:36 AM
I think also I may be a bit out of my element, as I didn't take Nuvigil for more than a week. I took Modafinil, and as sarah said Nuvigil is the same concept but with some tweaks to make it work more effectively. However - I still stand by my statement that it isn't something I'd ever recommend for ADHD. It was actually really frustrating being "alert" (I was) - But not being able to really sit down and dig in to a task I needed to complete. That was the problem, and when you think about it it's entirely counter-productive to adhd.

bluefoxicy
10-09-16, 05:48 PM
I took Modafinil under prescription from my psychiatrist. It worked well for me just for attention; it didn't give motivation. It also made me feel like I was well-rested (I have a chronic sleeping problem).

I encountered an extremely rare negative side-effect: after two weeks, it gave me a severe depressive episode. My brain was possibly low on dopamine; there was a complete anorgasmia side-effect early in the first day (I actually tested this on purpose for that reason; we'll say no more about that). I tried again a week later (I felt attentive and was sleeping well for a week after that, but it faded) and it drove my mood up slightly (toward mania), at which point I realized I had made a large mistake; depression came a couple hours later. Nothing in my life has felt so bad; so that's cool, let's not do it again.

So my psychiatrist now has my remaining stock (he wrote 60 pills; I had about half left) because I surrender all drugs I'm no longer going to use as prescribed ... because there's literally no sane or legal reason not to.

I liked it. Too bad it didn't work very long on me for wakefulness--a few hours--and I started splitting the dose (the psychiatrist said to try a single 200mg in the morning, or 100mg twice per day, or as-needed) to get the wakefulness effect (abuse of the drug, modifying the dosing schedule to target a different medical condition). It had a long effect for attentiveness; I went from impossible-to-stay-focused to fully capable of putting my attention where I wanted it, without becoming unaware of everything else, even long after the drug seemed to wear off for wakefulness. I liked that because driving tired sucks, and at least I was able to focus even if driving home tired (I fell asleep once, early this year).

It didn't add any motivation or fix my anhedonia (which by that time I had begun to probe, but hadn't figured out was a thing). It didn't make me more-calm, or stop me from fidgeting. It made me focus, and it had zero drug side-effects until it did.

The stuff's way expensive in the US and I imported it; the version I got was manufactured by a pharmacy that deals in the US, but doesn't have their Modafinil FDA approved here. Provigil is 1:1 R-S enantiomer Modafinil; Nuvigil is R-Modafinil only. The difference is in whether a particular part of the molecule leans away from you or toward you when viewed from a particular angle.

Ginormous image (http://257cu52hn58148zsaf2jma2c.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/R-Modafinil-and-S-Modafinil.png)

The thick wedge indicates that a particular bond tilts toward the viewer; the lined wedge indicates tilting away.

Unless you win the worst lottery ever, Nuvigil or other Modafinils could be useful if your ADHD is mild, inattentive-only, and comorbid with some kind of excessive daytime sleepiness problem. In that case, just being more-awake could fix all your problems; the improved focus is just a bonus. You might respond different than I did, as well (I mean, I did hit a side-effect so rare the FDA doesn't list it in the prescribing information).

Nuvigil won't help you with depression, unless your depression is just the kind of thing any normal person would experience from their life sucking due to some ailment destroying it slowly--in which case any treatment that fixes your ADHD should fix that.

You can try a d-Amphetamine drug. Adderall and MAS include a 1/8 proportion of l-Amphetamine to compete with d-Amphetamine for metabolism; that's a nasal decongestant that works by vasoconstriction, without the strong stimulant effect. A straight d-Amphetamine could affect you differently, although it does have similar cardiovascular properties.

Methylphenidate is also an option. It's metabolized differently, and your body may respond to it differently. It turned me into a quiet, emotionless zombie as a kid; it could do the opposite to you.

A low dose of either plus Atomoxetine is popular these days.

You've got a lot of options.