View Full Version : Vyvanse doesn't seem to work at all despite significantly increased dose.

karenparker
09-27-16, 07:50 AM
I have psych appointment on Saturday, so will obviously consult it, but I'm confused.

He started me a week ago on 20mg in the morning; which gave me a bit of speedy feeling that eased out almost completely during the week - which I welcomed. But except for a few brief moments of feeling less distracted (like I just didn't NEED TO use internet etc) and lower appetite (which is good for me) and much smaller need to shop (I buy stuff compulsively) I didn't feel anything. Also, no side effects. And during the week it seemed to start to work for shorter time every day - on 6th or 7th day it was literally like 5-6 hours from taking it and I'd notice everything getting back to normal, including my appetite (which, by the end of the week was really the only noticeable effect).

So, after a week of that, doc suggested either 40mg in the morning or 30mg in the morning + 20mg in the afternoon. I went for the latter, since I didn't want to overdo it in the morning and I knew once a day isn't gonna do the trick.

3 days in; and I have no idea what to think. I take 30mg around 7am and by 12-1 I feel I'm crashing (more irritability, hungover-ish feeling, nothing too bad), but it gets less noticeable every day. It also gives me quite a bit of anxiety but doc said I'll get something for that when we find the right dose in terms of focus etc. I think the effects on my productivity are so minor that it might as well be placebo. So anyway, I take 20mg around 1pm and again, I see some mild improvement for a few hours but by 4-5pm I feel it's coming down. By 7pm I'm back to my completely normal self, except for maybe a bit of anxiety lingering.

One more thing that I noticed is elevated sex drive, which is amazing, my libido has always been really low.

I am eating in the morning and during the day, I also remember to drink a lot of water.

My days are long (16h) and I know it will be tricky to get the right set of meds to cover it, but I was hoping vyvanse would last at least 8 hours. And that it would be doing something.
I'm literally sitting in the office now, fidgeting as usually, as always distracted and if not for the anxiety and lower appetite I wouldn't have known I had taken anything.

I feel 30+20 is already a rather high dose and not only it does little, it covers a little more than half of my day only.

Any suggestions?

Pilgrim
09-27-16, 02:03 PM
Start low and take it slow.

Adaptation and looking for certain ques you have to learn,

Knowledge is power

sarahsweets
09-27-16, 02:24 PM
A different, more consistent med like dexedrine would be better.

karenparker
09-28-16, 03:59 AM
Thanks, I was wondering about that, I'll ask doc. I figured dexedrine might simply be more predictable.
The anxiety is really, really annoying and also the changes in my mood throughout the day are very tiring, while I'm not really noticing much of an improvement.

I don't think Vyvanse is for me. I guess it's metabolising weirdly? Today I took 30mg at 6:30am and then 20mg at 1pm and at 3pm I started crashing. How come did the additional 20mg just postponed the crash by only 2 hours?

Uhh, I'm ranting, but I'm just frustrated and worried it will take ages (and a really big chunk of my savings) to get me on something that works.

sarahsweets
09-28-16, 04:17 AM
I dont know why that is but IMO for me, vyvanse was inconsistent. I admittedly have a resentment against vyvanse- it never lasted, was too expensive, overrated and it gave me mood issues.

karenparker
09-28-16, 05:06 AM
I dont know why that is but IMO for me, vyvanse was inconsistent. I admittedly have a resentment against vyvanse- it never lasted, was too expensive, overrated and it gave me mood issues.
This is exactly what I have a problem with. It just doesn't last, does... something, but nothing very noticeable and my moods are ridiculous. During the day I go from regular good mood to "f*uck, what a ****ty day, and why are those people around me" like 3 times back and forth and by the end of the day I feel exhausted by that.

The only thing I'm super, super happy about is the appetite/eating thing. I have issues with disordered eating (that I have been solving through therapy with mild/moderate success). They never developed to proper Binge Eating Disorder, probably because I literally ran to therapy straight away after I noticed it was really becoming unhealthy. On Vyvanse I have no urge to overeat, no urge to snack all the time, basically no urge to eat simply for pleasure (which is what my problems essentially were). In the same time I do eat well, it's the first time since I can remember when I can actually make a healthy choice. I go for lunches with friends and I enjoy them. So despite lower appetite my eating has never been so healthy.

I'd also say it seems to work for my tendency to shop compulsively.

Anyway, that results instantly in much higher self esteem.
So that's an amazing improvement for me and I really, really don't want to lose it.

But then I feel like the time Vyvanse works gets shorter every day and I wonder if at some point it won't stop helping those eating issues?

From what I saw my psych actually has interest in Eating Disorders, so I will definitely talk to him about that.

BTW, I'm also wondering what happens to healthy habits developed on/thanks to stimulants. Let's take my eating for example. I know that over the years I literally conditioned my brain to see food everywhere, eat when everyone is eating, buy everything that looks remotely appealing (otherwise I'd panick and feel deprived), finish my plates etc. I was wondering if I stop doing this on meds, is there a chance it will at least partly stick around if I ever stop taking them?
Like, if is it possible for my brain to somehow learn that I don't need to eat all the time, or order a dessert every time I'm in restaurant etc?

Basically, I'm scared ****less I'll find the right meds for me and at some point they'll stop working, or I won't get the prescription or whatever and I'd like to avoid getting back where I was before at all cost.

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 05:08 AM
One week on Vyvanse? You must get used to it.

Warning:
Trying Vyvanse without giving it a chance but ranting
can induce a obsessive-vyvanse-bashing-disorder.

karenparker
09-28-16, 06:07 AM

Warning:
I know I need to get used to that. I also know I will be put on something for my anxiety, since I have GAD anyway. And I know the side effects tend to ease out after a while.

My issue is that aside from said side effects and two benefits (eating & libido and possibly compulsuve shopping) Vyvanse doesn't seem to do anything significant for my ADHD and also doesn't last nearly as longs as it should despite taking it twice a day. As far as I understand I should feel more benefits.

I think that either way, if I'm not seeing other benefits there is no reason to be on 30mg in the morning. 20mg seemed to work similarly for eating and impulsivity and I had much less side effects. I'd like to alter it, but don't want to do so without consulting doc first.

sarahsweets
09-28-16, 06:27 AM

Warning:

Why is it that you are allowed to have an opinion about vyvanse but I am not? I always say that I have a resentment issue with it before I comment so people can take what I say into consideration if they like it?

karenparker
09-28-16, 07:03 AM
Why is it that you are allowed to have an opinion about vyvanse but I am not? I always say that I have a resentment issue with it before I comment so people can take what I say into consideration if they like it?
I decided to ignore the aggressive remark, especially that I've seen those before in other threads.
For what it's worth I value your honest opinion and I'm certain I'm not the only one.

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 07:46 AM
Everyone is allowed to have an opinion but also an opinion on an opinion which is multiplied by itself something like ADHD.

One thing is sure. Adderall does not work on vyvanse-resentment-issues. lol

:-)

Flory
09-28-16, 08:38 AM

Warning:

Sometimes a week is enough to know a drug isn't right for you especially with stimulants. Usually when introducing a drug my pdoc will give it a week and then look at how it's going.

Fwiw I liked vyvanse. And when I added Dex boosters it was perfect.

Not everyone does great on the same drugs . I will bash vyvanse for grossly overstating its duration of dose (how long it lasts) and the headaches ....oy....

I'm also on the #f**kstrattera train :)))

Have a good day

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 11:41 AM
Vyvanse is a very complex drug when it comes to adjustment, resorbing and metabolizing.
Personally I think it is a bad idea to prescribe Vyvanse to someone who is new to stimulants
because the doc should know how much DEX a patient needs to exclude dosage fails while
digestion can release a rollercoaster of sideffects.

Vyvanse is a boot-camp to teach you how to treat your gut. Get it running or you are out!
No easy task or a kind of P.I.T.A. but once it works it feels subtle like not being on a med.

Vyvanse can be perfect boosted taking 1/4 – 1/3 of the morning dosage after 4-6 hours
which means a dosage of 30/10mg or 40/10mg.

There is also a huge lack of information from Shire how to successfully intake their substance
and they dont mention that it is better not to have breakfast or let Vyvanse be 3h minimum
ahead of any food or until it has its full effect which is also around 3 h after intake.

The user also should have a look on digestion of different foods and how it affects Vyvanses
effectiveness. There is a reason why it is also prescribed for binge eating at double dosage.

It is also a good idea to take magnesium in addition to Vyvanse.

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 12:07 PM
I know I need to get used to that. I also know I will be put on something for my anxiety, since I have GAD anyway. And I know the side effects tend to ease out after a while.

My issue is that aside from said side effects and two benefits (eating & libido and possibly compulsuve shopping) Vyvanse doesn't seem to do anything significant for my ADHD and also doesn't last nearly as longs as it should despite taking it twice a day. As far as I understand I should feel more benefits.

I think that either way, if I'm not seeing other benefits there is no reason to be on 30mg in the morning. 20mg seemed to work similarly for eating and impulsivity and I had much less side effects. I'd like to alter it, but don't want to do so without consulting doc first.

This sounds in addition to your opening post like you are on a too low dose.
For me it works also at micro-dosages like a anti-dullant but transforms into
an energizer on the edge of subtleness and recognizable effectiveness
somewhere between 35-40mg which can be different every day and i learned
recognizing how much I need.

You should call your doc ...

I had an anxiety disorder that I did not realize over 13 years. Getting rid off it
can be a result of legal CBD-oil which also cuts peaks off Vyvanse.

karenparker
09-28-16, 12:25 PM
I have called him, we moved the apointment to tomorrow evening. The irony is today I actually feel much better, but nevertheless see no improvement in focus and still see it doesn't last nearly long enough. I wonder what he will say.

Does any of you know if the appetite/eating effects ease over time? I read they do, but then what would be the point of prescribing it for binge eating disorder if it's a very temporary solution?

Edit: also, what exactly is eating for stimulation? I have never been an emotional eater, but I struggle with eating when bored or simply eating for a pleasure. Is that it?

karenparker
09-28-16, 01:01 PM
Not sure why I can't edit my post. Basically when I went to therapy I said that what I feel resembles my relationship with food the closest would be "food/eating addiction".

Vyvanse is helping tremendously with that. I also notice when it stops working my mind starts wandering and thinking about food/snacks, even though I am definitely not hungry (not surprising since I eat during the day while on meds).

Do other meds have similar effects? Or is there something special about Vyvanse that it's recommended for binge eaters?

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 01:09 PM
I experience focus on the edge of subtle to recognizable effectiveness.

Vyvanse is a lot about self-control why I called it a boot-camp that will
punish your fails.

Eating releases neuro-chemicals and you dont have any appetite because
the AMP already released some of them. When appetite wins you either
are hungry or have a chemical deficit or you are full of lust (bored).

Eating can be stimulation and entertaining mood-enhancement but a loss
of weight will stimulate even better and makes a better mood due to its
support for a better body/mind balance which should be part of a good
ADHD-therapy.

I think Vyvanse is recommended mostly due to not leaving with a crash after
its effectiveness for binge eating while a crash would mean a eating-attack.
High blood pressure and heart rate are results of Levoamphetamine which
is not in Vyvanse. Enhanced effectiveness is the reward for self-control.

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 02:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDQ76V80OkI

This explanation is quite ok but the enzymes are hacked.

C15H25N3O
09-28-16, 07:31 PM
I guess it's metabolising weirdly?

Yes. Metabolism is what you must get used to and it is dependent to food.

It took me two months to get it running but now I love LIS-a for 9 months.

When you can say it wears off without a crash, just a decrease in focus, it is

like using contact lenses instead of glasses.

aeon
09-28-16, 09:54 PM
Vyvanse is a wonderful med for me at 180mg in the morning.

At typical doses, it simply was not efficacious.

And for sure, given my experience with dextroamphetamine, I knew those things well inside of a week’s time.

For me, Dexedrine™ is the gold standard for a reason...it works! :yes:

Cheers,
Ian

karenparker
09-29-16, 04:09 AM
Vyvanse is a wonderful med for me at 180mg in the morning.

At typical doses, it simply was not efficacious.

And for sure, given my experience with dextroamphetamine, I knew those things well inside of a week’s time.

For me, Dexedrine™ is the gold standard for a reason...it works! :yes:

Cheers,
Ian
Wow, that's a really high dose! Glad it works for you.

Yesterday I actually felt much better, but then still no improvement in focus or whatever.

But then in the evening I started panicking terribly and questioning whether I actually have ADHD or maybe I have been diagnosed wrong (happened in the past). I started researching stuff like crazy and then I found a few reviews about the practice I went to and they were all great and all fake, which made me go even more crazy, like, what if I went to some crook who diagnoses everyone and just takes their money. :(:(:(
But then I have no actual reason to think my psych is a quack, I researched him and he tends to publish stuff every once in a while in British Medical Journal etc. so he can't be that bad, can he?

Jesus, I'm going crazy, maybe it's my GAD, or maybe my sort-of-diagnosed OCD.

My god I hope I have ADHD, otherwise I'm just lazy, irresponsible and with a ****ty judgement.

But then I went through the symptoms in DSM-5 and I don't know if I really have enough/strongly enough?
How is this supposed to be diagnosed? Does one have to fit DSM-5 exactly (5+ symptoms from one group or 10+ from both?), or is it more based on the history and the amount of impairment/distress those symptoms cause in life?

C15H25N3O
09-29-16, 05:59 AM
Quack-quack.

Your metabolism is fooling you and does not know how to split the good stuff (dex) from the abuse protectant protein.

Your doc must be a professional because he is willed to prescribe an amphetamine which is usually full of stigma and fatalism in europe.

Your dosage must be adjusted and sensitive increased to hit the sweetspot of focus and subtle effectiveness.

When the dosage is to high or to low it can make you sleepy or speedy. Also listen to feedback of people you meet and check
your mimics in a mirror. I think it is also helpful to watch my behaviour on video to have an objective view on the meds effect.

I am convinced Vyvanse has its best effect while being so subtle that I dont recognize but realize the effect.

LIS-a is a weak but sweet amphetamine like a butterfly but some need it stronger like an eagle. :-)

sarahsweets
09-29-16, 06:04 AM
I have called him, we moved the apointment to tomorrow evening. The irony is today I actually feel much better, but nevertheless see no improvement in focus and still see it doesn't last nearly long enough. I wonder what he will say.

Does any of you know if the appetite/eating effects ease over time? I read they do, but then what would be the point of prescribing it for binge eating disorder if it's a very temporary solution?

Edit: also, what exactly is eating for stimulation? I have never been an emotional eater, but I struggle with eating when bored or simply eating for a pleasure. Is that it?

I know that sometimes Vyvanse is used to treat Binge eating disorders so its possible that the reduced appetite may not change-but it could. SOME people recommend not eating for a certain amount of hours and taking it on an empty stomach but I dont think its ever good to wait hours after waking to eat. I found that when I took vyvanse eating was essential to get the gut going to help it get absorbed and working.

C15H25N3O
09-29-16, 06:36 AM
There are signals from the stomach to release enzymes to metabolize LIS-a.

Also our body chemics are different, not to say different confused, and the no-food
thing fools the stomach with water while it tricks the gut and liver to hyperfocus on LIS-a.

Theory is simple but digestion is complex. After getting the gut used to LIS-a I have an
acceptable decrease of the meds effectiveness having breakfast like others describe.

Metabolism and so LIS-a's effectiveness is or can be also influenced by intestinal activity
from drinking and motion.

karenparker
09-29-16, 06:40 AM
I know that sometimes Vyvanse is used to treat Binge eating disorders so its possible that the reduced appetite may not change-but it could. SOME people recommend not eating for a certain amount of hours and taking it on an empty stomach but I dont think its ever good to wait hours after waking to eat. I found that when I took vyvanse eating was essential to get the gut going to help it get absorbed and working.
I guess different things work for different people and I have friends that do intermittent fasting and are happy with that, but... I'm the same as you and don't really want to screw with my eating to be honest, like, skip breakfasts etc. Especially that I need to go back to working out and I do that in the morning.

I never developed full on eating disorder, I think because I noticed something was wrong and seeked help immediately. Maybe that's good and Vyvanse will help better/won't matter AS MUCH.

I went through dsm-5 criteria again and found some credible looking resources aimed at physicians, not parients, and I'm calmer. It definitely fits. And I don't think those symptoms are explainable by anything else.

I will go to GP and try to get a diagnosis on the NHS, just so it's easier later on for me to get the treatment.

Anyway, I have been diagnosed with OCD once before after a period of similar cicle of obsessing and then it was questioned by another doc as it doesn't happen all that often, but I think I really do need to do something about my anxiety.

I feel bad for writing it all here and seeming so desperate, but... well, I guess I am.

The side effects are smaller each day, so I feel like it wasn't neccessary to reschedule the appointment, but... whatever, I'll see what doc says.

karenparker
09-29-16, 06:43 AM
Quack-quack.

Your metabolism is fooling you and does not know how to split the good stuff (dex) from the abuse protectant protein.

Your doc must be a professional because he is willed to prescribe an amphetamine which is usually full of stigma and fatalism in europe.

Your dosage must be adjusted and sensitive increased to hit the sweetspot of focus and subtle effectiveness.

When the dosage is to high or to low it can make you sleepy or speedy. Also listen to feedback of people you meet and check
your mimics in a mirror. I think it is also helpful to watch my behaviour on video to have an objective view on the meds effect.

I am convinced Vyvanse has its best effect while being so subtle that I dont recognize but realize the effect.

LIS-a is a weak but sweet amphetamine like a butterfly but some need it stronger like an eagle. :-)
Well, it's a private doc. I think there are issues with getting stimulants on the NHS (public healthcare), but generally I'd think private psychiatrists have different attitude.

Flory
09-29-16, 12:47 PM
Perhaps you should become the vyvanse ambassador of the forum with that kind of knowledge :)

C15H25N3O
09-29-16, 02:15 PM
Perhaps you should become the vyvanse ambassador of the forum with that kind of knowledge :)

No thanks.

I am modest and it makes me happy if all the writing helps only one person

but I accuse Shire and all the other pharma companies not to share any information

which has to be gathered by every pdoc prescribing meds on trial and error.

karenparker
09-29-16, 02:42 PM
Ok, so he put me on Zyban (bupropion) and 30mg+30mg of Elvanse (Vyvanse). I'm supposed to be taking it for a few days and depending on how I feel we'll schedule an appointment for sooner or later.
He said Zyban should help with both anxiety and ADHD and that it doesn't usually cause sexual side effects (which I wanted to avoid).

karenparker
09-29-16, 04:12 PM
Well, I'm super confused now. It seems Bupropion isn't really recommended for anxiety (GAD or whatever). I'm not sure why my doc seems to think it could help?

If not for that I'd be very excited about trying it, because of no sexual side effects (and a possibility of improving libido), it also seems to work on impulsivity etc.
But I really can't handle MORE anxiety.

I'm so, so tired after the struggle this week, and I have a very stressful time ahead of me starting tomorrow so I hope I'll be able to handle it somehow. It's all so unpredictable...

sarahsweets
09-30-16, 04:46 AM
Im surprised about the wellbutrin being given for anxiety too. Its usually used for depression and as an alternate adhd treatment. For me, it was very agitating. I take cymbalta as one of my meds which is good for chronic pain, anxiety and depression.

karenparker
09-30-16, 05:02 AM
Im surprised about the wellbutrin being given for anxiety too. Its usually used for depression and as an alternate adhd treatment. For me, it was very agitating. I take cymbalta as one of my meds which is good for chronic pain, anxiety and depression.
I will give it a go I read about it more and I see it helps some people for anxiety as well, so maybe there's a chance it will help me.
I generally like the idea of it and was actually thinking about asking my doc about it before I read it might increase anxiety, so...
And I really hope it might help my ADHD in combination with Vyvanse.

C15H25N3O
09-30-16, 05:44 AM
I dont like your doc prescribes a second pill while the first pill is not adjusted.

karenparker
09-30-16, 06:27 AM
I dont like your doc prescribes a second pill while the first pill is not adjusted.
And do you have any suggestions or am I just supposed to sit here and worry? :confused:

I don't think I can change him right now anyway, too much money and too long to wait for an appointment with another one.

He did say he doesn't want to change Vyvanse since we won't know if potential side effects are from Vyvanse or Bupropion, but then eventually went for 30+30 and not 30+20 anyway. The only side effect I have from Vyvanse is anxiety and the results or lack thereof don't seem to be changing, so I assume it won't be a complete mess when I start Bupropion.

Edit:
OK, I don't know what to do. I feel it's to early to try to change him. Should I give it, what, another month, and see what happens?

karenparker
09-30-16, 06:58 AM
Right, I booked an appointment with another psych for 2nd opinion and possible continuation of treatment and the first available date was the 31st of October, so I'll just go with my current one till then.

20thcenturyfox
10-02-16, 01:39 AM
I've been on Vyvanse 50 mg since April. It's moderately activating, as Adderall XR was, probably a little weaker and smoother. Not much noticeable difference from Adderall XR except I think my sleep is probably worse.

I had also tried Strattera by itself earlier, felt sick, noticed no benefit, though maybe I did not stay on long enough to notice any benefit.

But some interesting things have started to happen now that I'm taking both Vyvanse and Strattera. Still felt sick the first few days on Strattera, but that's gone now. Some jobs seem to go much faster, sometimes I transition from one job to another without a gigantic effort. I can make the odd phone call without stewing over it for hours. And occasionally I have started putting something away without even thinking (when I always had to push and nag myself to do anything).

Poor sleep may eventually sink this combo, but the benefit is noticeable enough that I want to push my boundaries on it as far as I can before giving up. This is the most hopeful development I've had in a long time.

karenparker
10-02-16, 03:20 PM
So nothing seems particularly different now, after 2nd day of Zyban + Vyvanse 30mg+30mg.

I know it often takes a few weeks for Zyban to start working, so no complaints here, but I still feel like Vyvanse should be doing more than waking me up and helping me with eating (which is, sadly, diminishing now anyway). Should I ask for a higher dose next time I see doc?

No side effects so far either, except for a more rapid heartbeat for a brief time during the day. Anxiety is nearly gone.

C15H25N3O
10-02-16, 07:06 PM
Do you take it twice a day or once a day 2x30mg? I hope you switched to a increased morning dosage.

I wrote this because you seem not to have any idea if Zyban or Vyvanse takes your anxiety away.

So you dont have a chance to understand each meds effects.

karenparker
10-02-16, 07:13 PM
Twice. 30mg in the morning after waking up and another 30mg after 6 hours.

20thcenturyfox
10-02-16, 10:10 PM
...The only thing I'm super, super happy about is the appetite/eating thing. I have issues with disordered eating (that I have been solving through therapy with mild/moderate success). They never developed to proper Binge Eating Disorder, probably because I literally ran to therapy straight away after I noticed it was really becoming unhealthy. On Vyvanse I have no urge to overeat, no urge to snack all the time, basically no urge to eat simply for pleasure (which is what my problems essentially were). In the same time I do eat well, it's the first time since I can remember when I can actually make a healthy choice. I go for lunches with friends and I enjoy them. So despite lower appetite my eating has never been so healthy....

But then I feel like the time Vyvanse works gets shorter every day and I wonder if at some point it won't stop helping those eating issues?

From what I saw my psych actually has interest in Eating Disorders, so I will definitely talk to him about that.

BTW, I'm also wondering what happens to healthy habits developed on/thanks to stimulants. Let's take my eating for example. I know that over the years I literally conditioned my brain to see food everywhere, eat when everyone is eating, buy everything that looks remotely appealing (otherwise I'd panick and feel deprived), finish my plates etc. I was wondering if I stop doing this on meds, is there a chance it will at least partly stick around if I ever stop taking them?
Like, if is it possible for my brain to somehow learn that I don't need to eat all the time, or order a dessert every time I'm in restaurant etc?

Basically, I'm scared ****less I'll find the right meds for me and at some point they'll stop working, or I won't get the prescription or whatever and I'd like to avoid getting back where I was before at all cost.

so it's not just your brain that is getting conditioned. You also have all those 5 pounds worth of little "cavorting beasties" in your gut clamouring for more dessert. If they don't get it for a sufficient period of time, hopefully the ones with the "sweet tooth" will die off and stop bothering you about it!

I should say that I don't know much about eating disorders. But I have been paying attention to the research being done on the human gut biome and its connections to the brain, appetites and mood.

The composition of bacteria and other microbes varies from one person to the next, and it also varies over time according to the diet of the host. So the "orders" they are sending up your vagus nerve to your brain likely change along with the population, as your diet changes. And while this article in Scientific American ( https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/brainwaves/the-food-fight-in-your-guts-why-bacteria-will-change-the-way-you-think-about-calories/ ) might suggest that Bacterioides are "good" and Firmicutes are "fat-promoting," it's much more nuanced than that. Lactobacilli, for example, are a genus of Firmicutes, with many helpful attributes, including apparently reducing anxiety in host mice!

So in this respect, even if the gross effect of drugs on appetite is temporary, it may still be possible you could derive some long-term benefit by changing the environment in your colon to favour a healthier bunch of freeloaders.

karenparker
10-03-16, 06:33 AM
Well, today the eating effects seem completely gone. I notice no other differences whatsoever. Not sure what to do.

karenparker
10-03-16, 07:09 AM
Well, I don't know what to do. I don't think I should be on Zyban, if something starts working how will I know what it is?
I have another appointment on Friday. Should I suggest stopping Vyvanse so we can see the effects of Zyban? Or should I suggest stopping Zyban after only a week and try with different Vyvanse dose or other stimulant?

karenparker
10-07-16, 09:51 AM
I think Zyban is helping, I don't have side effects except for some digestive issues that I'm hoping will go away.
I got 50mg Vyvanse once daily now and if it works I'll probably get a dex booster for later during the day.

I don't like my doc. He mentioned Adderal which is CRAZY expensive in the UK, despite the fact that there are other stimulant options available here that we havent tried yet.
He also suggested that we can try another antidepressant which I refused again. I'm not sure what the point is if Zyban seems to possibly be starting to work and can need a few weeks anyway to start working properly?

Anyway, I'm curious about effects of 50mg Vyvanse. And I really hope Zyban will work well, it haven't given me (much) more anxiety so far and I'd love to be also on something that works 24/7 and not just stimulant. Also, if it could stablise my mood and help with sex drive, I'd be like a new person.

In general when I look at past week I seem to see the difference, though it's hard to judge if it's meds working or my own short lasting morivation.
I managed to successfully move, get my stuff organised etc. and wasn't doing it last minute, which has never happened before.
Also my appetite seems to be back and I have ****ty cravings again, but I'm using methods I learned through therapy and they seem... easier to apply?

But again, it might just be my short lived motivation because I knew I needed to move well and declutter and I'm also determined to work on my eating, because I really don't want an eating disorder on top of it all.

But... I do think it's all a bit easier than before.

I have a follow up in 2 weeks, unless I feel I need one sooner, and on the 31st I have an appt with new doc, that seems to be one of the best specialists in London.

karenparker
10-07-16, 04:05 PM
So today was bad. After taking second Vyvanse I got completely high/speedy/wired and it lasted till the evening. I have no idea what happened?! Especially that before I didn't really notice Vyvanse working, hence the higher dose.

I should hear back from my doc tomorrow morning, but it really freaked me out, it makes no sense! :(

Lunacie
10-07-16, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure what kind of effect you may be expecting, but sometimes people around us can see the difference when we can't.

My granddaughter wanted to stop meds, but all of us (mom, dad, gramma) convinced her to keep taking them for awhile. We could see the improvement that was hard for her to notice.

karenparker
10-07-16, 05:57 PM
I'm not sure what kind of effect you may be expecting, but sometimes people around us can see the difference when we can't.

My granddaughter wanted to stop meds, but all of us (mom, dad, gramma) convinced her to keep taking them for awhile. We could see the improvement that was hard for her to notice.
I did see general improvement, but attributed it to Zyban - since it was mostly visible after a few days of taking it. Also my productivity and focus seemed rather steady throughout the whole day, so again, I assumed it wasn't Vyvanse.
Vyvanse definitely helped a bit before, but it was fluctuating during the day a lot, and it was easy for me to recognize when my productivity would go up/down. I also once during the week took 20mg in the afternoon and not 30mg (forgot to take 30mg with me to work) and saw no difference whatsoever, so that again made me think it's not really doing all that much.
I'm not looking at how I feel, I just analyse the days and whether they were any different than before.
I shared all that with doc.

I just really don't understand what happened today? I took exactly the same meds as during the whole week, so what made me feel so high? It was a really big difference, I felt completely normal during the whole week and today I very much wasn't myself.
I tried to find any information about that, but couldn't find any other similar threads.
Just to be clear, I very much do not want to be high. I just want to be a functioning adult.

I'm tired, frustrated and worried, it all seemed to be going the right direction and today completely messed it up.
I'll be talking to doc tomorrow morning.

C15H25N3O
10-07-16, 06:20 PM
If it keeps feeling too much you must decrease it.

Your digestion is still fooling you. Should be over soon.

40mg could be better. Vyvanse is not easy to adjust.

But you are on the correct way.

karenparker
10-07-16, 06:28 PM
If it keeps feeling too much you must decrease it.

Your digestion is still fooling you. Should be over soon.

40mg could be better. Vyvanse is not easy to adjust.

But you are on the correct way.
Yup, the thing is, I didn't feel anything. I have a journal of how I feel/do each day - I was my normal self with a slight improvement and didn't notice Vyvanse. Since it doesn't last 24/7, I assume I should be able to judge whether it works or not, even if the difference is rather subtle.

So, basically, after a week of Zyban and 30+30 Vyvanse, one day, the same dose, I just get high? It was a very big difference. My appetite was back during the week, today it was very much suppressed. I was my normal self during the week, today I was waaaaayyyy to energized and talkative and my judgement was clearly not quite there (oversharing). I feel exhausted by what happened today. It wasn't a subtle difference. I just don't understand why that might happen?

Uhh, I wonder what the doc will say.

C15H25N3O
10-08-16, 02:24 AM
I just don't understand why that might happen?

Food. Water. Digestion. Gut. Resorbing. Enzymes. Metabolism. <----~ LIS-a (proDrug®)

It can be a bootcamp to get it working.

Dont give a f* if it is working different one hour or day.

Give up your journal. Is any content of relevance? No. lol.

Too much focus on it makes crazy.

You better use self-reflection and others impressions.

Dats all.

karenparker
10-08-16, 09:32 AM
Food. Water. Digestion. Gut. Resorbing. Enzymes. Metabolism. <----~ LIS-a (proDrug®)

It can be a bootcamp to get it working.

Dont give a f* if it is working different one hour or day.

Give up your journal. Is any content of relevance? No. lol.

Too much focus on it makes crazy.

You better use self-reflection and others impressions.

Dats all.
Ok. I got completely freaked out, when I realised I was accidentally high at work. Not a good thing.

Talked to my doc, he had no idea why that would happen, but said I should continue with 50mg in the morning + 150mg Zyban.

I took it today and feel as usually, though a bit more anxious. I will give it those two weeks and just see how I was functioning.