View Full Version : What if the 504 isn't working, can you just move to an IEP?

Caco3girl
09-27-16, 02:08 PM
I've posted on here before that my son was diagnosed in January of this year with ADHD. They ran a battery of tests at the school and they came back with that he is borderline but still technically in the average catagory and not eligible for special ed, or co-taught classes.

There were a lot of glitches last year and in January the school decided they would move him into co-taught classes for reading and english because the powers that be really thought he would qualify, plus there are some mainstream kids in those classes as well so no harm either way. It worked well for my son, he took his F's in mainstream classes and turned them into B's. Science was not co-taught and he passes that class for the year by decimals!

This year, although he didn't qualify for co-taught he somehow landed in a co-taught science. He currently has a B...and is failing everything else. In my opinion he NEEDS co-taught classes, which are smaller, have 2 teachers, highly structured, move at a slower pace and have more grades given so it's easier to recover from not turning in a homework assignment.

Is there a way to just say "Hey, the 504 wasn't enough the kid NEEDS an IEP."...rather than starting the whole process over again? I've asked the school and they seem to think we have to start from scratch...like back to vision and hearing tests....that is going to take FOREVER and meanwhile my kid gets further behind every day.

Advice?

sarahsweets
09-27-16, 02:20 PM
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd-web/article/570.html
This is one of best explainations I have ever read with links to the IDEA criteria.

Caco3girl
09-27-16, 03:10 PM
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd-web/article/570.html
This is one of best explainations I have ever read with links to the IDEA criteria.

Here is the problem:

Step 3. Eligibility is decided.
A group of qualified professionals and the parents look at the child's evaluation results. Together, they decide if the child is a "child with a disability," as defined by IDEA. Parents may ask for a hearing to challenge the eligibility decision.

Their view of disability and mine don't seem to be meshing. I was told he didn't qualify for an IEP, just a 504. But this isn't working.

TygerSan
09-27-16, 03:44 PM
Is there a way to get him into the co-taught classes without an IEP? The whole idea of co-taught is that not everyone there has an IEP, correct?

(As an aside, make sure that the classes are actually smaller than the regular classes. . . experience dictates that's not always the case.)

If he's failing, I would hope you could make the argument that the 504 is insufficient, but as you're finding out that's not always the case. Most kids with ADHD and psychiatric co-morbids end up with IEPs under the umbrella of "Other Health Impaired"

Caco3girl
09-28-16, 01:12 PM
I've been told that the only way to guarantee he gets into co-taught classes is to have an IEP. Anything else and I will have to fight yearly.

We had a disastrous meeting this morning. He's always been great at math and I asked for a teacher conference to discuss what's going on. Short version, tests don't reflect review guides, lots of tricky new phrases that my kid is not picking up on like x less than 7 is 18 is actually written out 7-x = 18....it wasn't written that way on the review sheet, or in class, so yeah....he messed up all the ones that had odd wordings.

The other issue is that is the last period of the day and mass chaos seems to be on the menu. The teacher said she was having to constantly redirect my son to pay attention to her and not twist in his seat when others make a noise. I said that was kind of an unreasonable expectation given he is ADHD and there is a lot of craziness happening in that class. The guidance counselor actually said that my son was capable of controlling himself more than he does and actually said "If I offered you $1000 to keep your head forward all week in math class I bet you wouldn't turn your head then, now would you?"

That was the final statement in a meeting full of ignorance, at one point he actually said "everyone has ADHD to some extent, it's up to you how you control it."

Guess I'm going to war with the school because WOW, I think I actually saw red.