View Full Version : Staying healthy on meds

scandarkly
09-29-16, 01:57 AM
Question for those on stimulant medications to manage their ADHD/ADD -- particularly those who have experience side effects like dry mouth, icky skin, loss of appetite...

What are you doing to stay healthy and balanced? Do you take any supplements, follow any kind of diet, swear by a certain routine, product, vitamin, avoid certain things, etc to keep yourself feeling your best?

Tell me what you're doing to stay healthy on these meds! :thankyou:

sarahsweets
09-29-16, 06:21 AM
I take a lot of supplements mostly because I have absorption issues but also for keeping my meds working their best. Here is the list so I hope its not overwhelming:
Vitamins: c,e,b6,b12,d,calcium,folic acid, iron,chelated magnesium, biotin,melatonin, and a prenatal multi and fish oil.
The Vitamine c i take at night to avoid interaction with my adderall. I take the magnesium and melatonin at night to help with sleep.
The fish oil helps with the symptoms of adhd and the biotin helps protect my hair,skin and nails. Seriously its magic stuff, my nails and hair grows better and there is less breakage.

InvitroCanibal
09-29-16, 09:28 AM
Question for those on stimulant medications to manage their ADHD/ADD -- particularly those who have experience side effects like dry mouth, icky skin, loss of appetite...

What are you doing to stay healthy and balanced? Do you take any supplements, follow any kind of diet, swear by a certain routine, product, vitamin, avoid certain things, etc to keep yourself feeling your best?

Tell me what you're doing to stay healthy on these meds! :thankyou:

I try to not be at my best on them or off them. I try to just consider my worst both on them and off them, and then gauge the improvement by the difference of those two points.

Being ADHD, my best and worst are miles apart and generally both are destructive because they are unsustainable.

The last thing is to ask yourself what does health mean to you?

To me health is being at a point which is sustainable. You don't run a marathon at a pace that is not sustainable for you.

You try to also stay self aware and healthy internalky, so that you don't strive for or ask too much of yourself too quickly that you become too dependent on being 100 percent every day.

If you score well on a test or interview the day you start taking the meds, and it feels out of character, then you might look to the meds as opposed yourself to judge where you are at and where you "should be."

The biggest way that I have stayed healthy is to honestly just lower my standards lol. I try to build consistency through healthy routines and to maintain what I have instead trying to get what I don't.

To each their own though.

Thanks

Bluechoo
09-29-16, 09:31 AM
Before I started meds, I adopted healthy lifestyle habits in order to gain some muscle mass through resistance training. They all carried directly over into my medicated life, and actually the meds have made some of the habits even more critical for maintaining a healthy body and mind.

The three basic ingredients are diet, exercise, and sleep.

Diet has to be balanced, with enough calories to sustain physical activity and brain activity (the brain uses a lot of glucose, especially when you're using your brain). High protein is good but healthy fats cannot be ignored. A lot of veggies and fruits. Also, aiming for things that promote alkalizing conditions in the gut has helped my general health for a long time, and it turns out to aid in the absorption of most stimulant medications.

Exercise is important to get the blood flowing and keep all the cells in our body oxygenated and cleared of toxic metabolic byproducts. I also do really well when I make sure to get lots of yoga/stretch/relaxation in, and going for a stroll is helpful too.

Sleep is huge huge huge huuuge. Having a good sleep environment is a must. The neurotransmitters need to be replenished during sleep. 7-8 hours is good for a healthy adult.

For supplements, I stick to some proven basics. I take a multi in the morning. I take magnesium malate 3 times a day (once with every meal, taking the recommended dose all at once is ill-advised because it cannot all be digested and can cause diarrhea), the malate is also alkalizing as a bonus. I break a 50 mg zinc in half and take 25 mgs with my evening meal. Fish oil whenever. And lately, for the purpose of aiding the medications effectiveness, I have been taking a 500 mg L-tyrosine with every meal, for a total of 1500 mg L-tyrosine a day. The L-tyrosine has been a major boost to the meds effectiveness because it is a precursor for dopamine and is depleted by every day use of stimulant medications.

But none of those supplements are very effective if the three basic ingredients are not there.

Pilgrim
09-29-16, 09:38 AM
I try to not be at my best on them or off them. I try to just consider my worst both on them and off them, and then gauge the improvement by the difference of those two points.

Being ADHD, my best and worst are miles apart and generally both are destructive because they are unsustainable.

The last thing is to ask yourself what does health mean to you?

To me health is being at a point which is sustainable. You don't run a marathon at a pace that is not sustainable for you.

You try to also stay self aware and healthy internalky, so that you don't strive for or ask too much of yourself too quickly that you become too dependent on being 100 percent every day.

If you score well on a test or interview the day you start taking the meds, and it feels out of character, then you might look to the meds as opposed yourself to judge where you are at and where you "should be."

The biggest way that I have stayed healthy is to honestly just lower my standards lol. I try to build consistency through healthy routines and to maintain what I have instead trying to get what I don't.

To each their own though.

Thanks

This!
This is the only outlook to have whilst using meds, this is the opinion I would give anybody just figuring out how to succeed on Stimulints.

Exercise, plenty of sleep and hydration. And a good mental outlook.

Use supplements as required.

Pilgrim
09-29-16, 09:39 AM
ATM I need a lot of vitamin C.

daffydogs
09-29-16, 05:38 PM
I hear ya, I'm a trained chef and have a background in nutrition, but the dry mouth and lack of appetite are killing me... there are days when I realize I have only eaten about 300 calories... I can't sustain life on that... Trying hard to add things in (juicing for more greens), looking into Nutritarian recipes for densely nourishing items... But I am struggling.