View Full Version : age 18 think i have add

cheesessssss
10-02-16, 12:30 AM
my parents and teachers have always told me i have trouble focusing and finishing tasked and that i get easily distracted. I am 18 and i never talked to a doctor about it. I have trouble reading anything that is long because my mind has a million thoughts flying through my head and when i start thinking about something i forget what im doing. I just started driving and i noticed that when i dont stare at the road line constantly my mind will blank and think about something else and I end up almost hitting someone. I talked to my doctor and he referred me to a neurologist. I am seeing him on monday, but i leave to go back to school on Tuesday. I was wondering how long it takes for a diagnoses and if i really have somthing.

Hermus
10-02-16, 02:31 AM
People on this forum need to be cautious to tell you whether you have something or not. It is impossible to give a defenitive answer to that without being a qualified doctor and having examined you. However, the things you describe about troubles finishing tasks, troubles focusing, distracting thoughts and difficulty driving certainly fit the description of ADD. It is worth mentioning the option to your doctor. Doctors don't always think of ADD themselves and if it is ADD it could set them on the right track.

How long it takes to get diagnosed is impossible for me to tell. With me it was about 2-3 months between the first visit at my gp and the diagnosis by the psychiatrist, but that differs between different health systems. I'm not familiar with the system in New York.

sarahsweets
10-02-16, 06:15 AM
If you do have adhd then driving is very dangerous. I know driving without being medicated is dangerous for me. Why a neurologist though?

cheesessssss
10-02-16, 01:44 PM
If you do have adhd then driving is very dangerous. I know driving without being medicated is dangerous for me. Why a neurologist though?

I have no idea why a neurologist, but my family doctor recommend me to see one, but yeah it is very easy for me to get distracted while driving

cheesessssss
10-02-16, 01:45 PM
People on this forum need to be cautious to tell you whether you have something or not. It is impossible to give a defenitive answer to that without being a qualified doctor and having examined you. However, the things you describe about troubles finishing tasks, troubles focusing, distracting thoughts and difficulty driving certainly fit the description of ADD. It is worth mentioning the option to your doctor. Doctors don't always think of ADD themselves and if it is ADD it could set them on the right track.

How long it takes to get diagnosed is impossible for me to tell. With me it was about 2-3 months between the first visit at my gp and the diagnosis by the psychiatrist, but that differs between different health systems. I'm not familiar with the system in New York.

Thank you so much for the answer, i was always to afraid to let my doctor know, but i did and he referred me to neurologist.

Little Missy
10-02-16, 04:07 PM

In many states psychiatrists are neurologists.

kilted_scotsman
10-02-16, 04:11 PM
Some jurisdictions require drivers with an ADHD diagnosis to inform the licensing office.

Driving with ADHD is not always dangerous. Since you are only 18 driving will require far more focus than someone who has been driving for years.

Some people with ADHD make great drivers, others don't..... just like NT's. Fortunately we are probably more aware of our lack of awareness than the average NT driver..... and we can do something about it.....!

Hermus
10-02-16, 04:19 PM

When learning to drive I didn't know that I had ADD yet. It lasted for ages for me to get my driver's license. During the lessons progress was very slow. Since I was diagnosed with PDD-NOS (a label I have some doubts about) I needed to do a special driving exam. In the end I didn't pass it and I was forced to continue lessons in a vehicle with automatic transmission, so now I have a driver's license with restrictions. Even after having my license I once damaged my parents' car and had a few near accidents. So it can be dangerous.

It's funny though that the most dangerous situation was caused by a friend of mine who neither has PDD-NOS nor ADD. When we were going to Germany with my parents cars we took turns driving. He somehow managed to put the car from D (drive) into N (neutral) while driving on the highway and some other car was coming close behind us. Luckily I am somehow able to respond very quickly in emergency situations. So when my friend started screaming I had the transmission back in D in a split second. :giggle:

Since I got Ritalin I feel that I'm much safer on the road. It's easier to focus on the things I need to focus on and I get distracted much less. I'm now seriously considering to try to get a license without restrictions. It will cost a few more lessons, but I would be so glad to have a license that doesn't basically say 'handicapped'.

cheesessssss
10-02-16, 04:57 PM
I really hope i can find help, because attention issues have always been a big problems for me and i feel like i can do so much more in life, but i just dont seem too do anything about it.

sarahsweets
10-04-16, 03:51 AM
I really hope i can find help, because attention issues have always been a big problems for me and i feel like i can do so much more in life, but i just dont seem too do anything about it.

I hope you can find help too.