View Full Version : Is there a drug that raises dopamine levels that isn't a stimulant?

Snoopy10
10-03-16, 09:49 AM
Adderall is a wonder drug for me but it has its downside like everything else.

I just went through a very stressful few weeks, Adderall saved my butt. I never got angry, overwhelmed, behaved in a socially appropriate way. But I was running on fumes by the end and took 3 days off Adderall. I know part of it was the Adderall crash but by the third day the old "me" was back, wondering what the point of life is, hating myself for being so weak and broken.

I guess the question is, is there a 'daily' version of Adderall, something more like an SSRI that I take daily and don't need to worry about taking breaks from and all of that.

I'm on 10mg IR twice a day.

I've tried Wellbutrin and it made me crazy. SSRIs make me unmotivated with episodes of hyperactivity. Adderall is the only thing that has consistently worked for me (it's been 2 years).

Snoopy10
10-03-16, 09:51 AM
Second question- will Adderall really deplete all my dopamine and ruin me if I keep taking it? I exercise vigorously 4 times a week and all of those things they tell you to do.

TurtleBrain
10-03-16, 10:53 AM
Before giving up on stimulants, have you tried ritalin?

If you're going to go off the stimulant route, then try strattera.
Strattera raises norepinephrine, which is good for focus. I'm not sure how it effects dopamine though.

Lunacie
10-03-16, 11:09 AM
We have posters who have been taking stimulant meds every day for years.

If you're not making enough dopamine now, what difference does it make if over time you slowly make a little less?

Until a cure comes along, you're not going to start making more/enough.

I have to take a med for high blood pressure every single day and always will.

I wasn't happy about it at first, but it's better than having a stroke and living with those effects, or having a heart attack and dying.

aeon
10-03-16, 12:06 PM
ADHD is 24/7/365

Take your meds 24/7/365

Sorted.

I took a med holiday this past weekend, and slept nearly the whole weekend. I got a little less done than I would have liked. ;)

Cheers,
Ian

Little Missy
10-03-16, 12:38 PM
I take my Adderall 10mg 3X daily and I still get angry, have anxiety and inappropriate behavior but it sure is better than not taking Adderall, spending all of my money and having horribly inappropriate behavior that gets me in trouble and yes, I end up running on fumes at times but ....eh, I have to take it. I'm responsible, pay my bills and keep myself in check albeit loudly. I need to take it.

Maybe Adderall XR twice a day or IR three times a day would help you. 10 mg IR 2X daily is a pretty small dose.

C15H25N3O
10-03-16, 02:56 PM
I took a med holiday this past weekend.

Did you recover? :faint:

Is there a drug that raises dopamine levels that isn't a stimulant?

Do you want a prescription for some parkinson meds?

Snoopy10
10-03-16, 03:15 PM
Thank you for all the encouragement. You are all right.

The options are:

Option A: don't take the meds, don't risk side effects and be a non-functional mess
Option B: take the meds, be the best version of myself but be stuck on them forever; deal with side effects

Why wouldn't I want to be the best version of myself forever...

One last thing - why does every single article on the Internet tell me that Adderall is bad, I'm going to turn into a massive drug addict and end up being able to produce no dopamine on my own, ever?

Just having a rough day today....

Snoopy10
10-03-16, 04:08 PM
Before giving up on stimulants, have you tried ritalin?

I tried Ritalin - it made me sleepy and irritable. But it's possible I took too low of a dose.

Snoopy10
10-03-16, 04:10 PM
Do you want a prescription for some parkinson meds?

What's the deal with Parkinson's meds? Aside from the fact that they are meant to treat a disease that makes ADHD look like a stroll in the park. Maybe that is why you said that, to remind me that life could be worse!

aeon
10-03-16, 05:28 PM
Taking ADHD meds as prescribed does not mean you cannot produce dopamine on your own.

Also, if you want something akin to Adderall with less potential for side-effects, try Dexedrine/dextroamphetamine sulfate.

Cheers,
Ian

C15H25N3O
10-03-16, 05:47 PM
What's the deal with Parkinson's meds?

I dont wanna imagine the withdrawal.

Pilgrim
10-03-16, 06:47 PM
Life is a marathon not a sprint.

Don't give in to frustration and anger. We don't process

Pilgrim
10-03-16, 06:52 PM
Stimulints will only get you part way. The rest is you.

I know if I need sleep that is the goal at the end.

There's nothing fun about being mentally zapped. Although I'd much rather be on Stimulints

Than relying on anything else.

Snoopy10
10-03-16, 07:28 PM
Taking ADHD meds as prescribed does not mean you cannot produce dopamine on your own.

Thank you, I needed to hear that.

sarahsweets
10-04-16, 04:12 AM
I have never heard that there is a finite amount of dopamine that stimulants slowly draw from until youre all out.

bluefoxicy
10-06-16, 12:42 PM
One last thing - why does every single article on the Internet tell me that Adderall is bad, I'm going to turn into a massive drug addict and end up being able to produce no dopamine on my own, ever?

Abuse. If you overuse d-Amphetamine, it will **** you up. Amphetamine is a proven-safe drug with a long history of clinical use; it is also a proven-dangerous drug with a long history of abuse.

Don't gulp down 4 at a time and you'll be fine. Stay away from meth. Follow your doctor's instructions, unless they hurt; then tell him, and maybe stop taking the meds if he prescribed you a bunch and it makes you sick (I did that, and the withdrawal was bad, but I can handle it; we selected a lower dose).

I guess the question is, is there a 'daily' version of Adderall, something more like an SSRI that I take daily and don't need to worry about taking breaks from and all of that.

I'm on 10mg IR twice a day.

I've tried Wellbutrin and it made me crazy. SSRIs make me unmotivated with episodes of hyperactivity. Adderall is the only thing that has consistently worked for me (it's been 2 years).

Your doctor should let you experiment. It's safe, under medical supervision. You may be able to get Atomoxetine, an SNRI; this combines safely with Amphetamine, an NDRI. Welcome to lots and lots of Norepinephrine, by the way. An SSRI is only a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor; an SNRI also increases noradrenaline content.

Atomoxetine takes two or three weeks to build up. It will give you bad side-effects at first (nausea, insomnia); they should go away in three days. Usual titration is small dose, then large dose: 40mg for a few days to two weeks, then a raise to 80mg; sometimes it's 18mg to 25mg or 40mg. This all means it make take you a few months of taking the drug every single day to see how it affects you.

Once stable, your doctor can titrate amphetamine. That is: two months in, you can work away from the Adderall, add Adderall, or adjust the Adderall dose. As you've noticed, MAS is *******' fast. You can then identify if Atomoxetine plus Amphetamine is superior to Amphetamine alone or Atomoxextine alone.

After all that, you and your doctor should have enough data to determine optimal treatment. You'll have to take Atomoxetine every single day. If your MAS dose is low enough and you're still having bad side-effects from the MAS, you might be able to take MAS IR occasionally, when under enough stress that the Atomoxetine isn't sufficient; you'll have to ask your doctor about that. You might also find that a low-dose MAS doesn't cause problems, so you can try Lysdexamphetamine (Vyvanse) or MAS XR and take one of those each morning to round it out.

Ask your doctor. You have options. Also see Russel A. Barkley's book, "Taking Charge of Adult ADHD."

sarahsweets
10-06-16, 03:30 PM
Abuse. If you overuse d-Amphetamine, it will **** you up. Amphetamine is a proven-safe drug with a long history of clinical use; it is also a proven-dangerous drug with a long history of abuse.

Why are you saying that adderall is a dangerous drug?