View Full Version : methylphenidate prescription

cheesessssss
10-03-16, 09:45 PM
I was just prescribed methylphenidate by my doctor for adhd, It is a 20mg dose and it says take 1 a day. my question is what time would be the best to take it everyday. I have classes in the afternoon so would the best time be during the afternoon so i focus more or will it last all day as long as i continue taking it everyday thank you

namazu
10-04-16, 12:16 AM
Do you know if it is instant-release or extended-release?

On the bottle, extended-release might be called "methylphenidate ER", Concerta, Ritalin LA or SR, Metadate CD, or something like that.

If it is an extended-release medication (which seems likely based on the starting dose), it may last 6-12 hours or so. (How long it lasts depends mostly on the specific medication and your metabolism.)

I don't know when you wake up, how late your classes go in the afternoon, or what other things that might be relevant (like what times of day you usually drive places).

Generally, people take extended-release medications in the morning when they wake up. For some people, it covers most of the day; other people find that it doesn't last as long as they need it to, and then talk to their doctors about adjusting the dose or timing.

If your doctor didn't give you specifics, you'll need to try it to see how long and how well it works for you, and that may help you figure out when is the best time to take it.

Regardless of what time of day you take it, for remembering, it can be helpful to tie taking your medication to something else you do regularly -- whether that's brush your teeth in the morning, or eat lunch, or something else.

someothertime
10-04-16, 04:05 AM
Here is how I would look at it but you'd be best to confirm with your doc sometime.

Avoid taking it late in the day.... It may be the case that delaying the morning time a few hours to ensure full coverage during study is achieved.

There are two things i'd like to point out;

1) You will have a temptation to keep applying yourself after class.... and to an extent this is a great thing.... because you have much to benefit from immediately revising and applying what has just been covered. Leaving till next class will almost certainly lead to a room full of post it notes.

- Plan around this and do admin / easy things early in the day
-Make some hard and fast rules about when you throw in the towel each day. Having a wind down routing where you listen to music or call friends or something will make this easier.
-As namazu said, do right by yourself with sleep and food..... they are what will make all the difference long term.

2) Forgot! ( sorry! )

Peace!

cheesessssss
10-04-16, 08:26 AM
Do you know if it is instant-release or extended-release?

On the bottle, extended-release might be called "methylphenidate ER", Concerta, Ritalin LA or SR, Metadate CD, or something like that.

If it is an extended-release medication (which seems likely based on the starting dose), it may last 6-12 hours or so. (How long it lasts depends mostly on the specific medication and your metabolism.)

I don't know when you wake up, how late your classes go in the afternoon, or what other things that might be relevant (like what times of day you usually drive places).

Generally, people take extended-release medications in the morning when they wake up. For some people, it covers most of the day; other people find that it doesn't last as long as they need it to, and then talk to their doctors about adjusting the dose or timing.

If your doctor didn't give you specifics, you'll need to try it to see how long and how well it works for you, and that may help you figure out when is the best time to take it.

Regardless of what time of day you take it, for remembering, it can be helpful to tie taking your medication to something else you do regularly -- whether that's brush your teeth in the morning, or eat lunch, or something else.

The bottle is Methylphenida er (CD) 20mg, says take daily dose no more than 1 per day. I was thinking if i take it around 12pm everyday would it be beneficial towards the night if i take it daily

namazu
10-04-16, 10:21 AM
The bottle is Methylphenida er (CD) 20mg, says take daily dose no more than 1 per day. I was thinking if i take it around 12pm everyday would it be beneficial towards the night if i take it daily
That might work well.

Some people get insomnia from methylphenidate; if that happens, you might want to consider taking it earlier in the day.

I second what Someothertime said above about trying to have a good daily routine, taking into account your obligations and when you are most functional.

Best wishes getting the meds sorted out!

Lunacie
10-04-16, 11:55 AM
Some of these meds can really dry you out so make sure you stay hydrated while taking your script. You'll feel better and the med will work better.

cheesessssss
10-04-16, 03:27 PM
That might work well.

Some people get insomnia from methylphenidate; if that happens, you might want to consider taking it earlier in the day.

I second what Someothertime said above about trying to have a good daily routine, taking into account your obligations and when you are most functional.

Best wishes getting the meds sorted out!

i just took one about 2 hours ago and i feel nothing different does it take a few days to help, i tried reading which i usually cannot focus on and its the same nothing different.