View Full Version : It's just emotions, taking me over....

Enough Rope
10-03-16, 10:44 PM
So is there anything to be done about these @$#% emotional tsunamis that just seem to come out of nowhere sometimes, and leave me in tears, uncontrollably sobbing?

This is something that has plagued me most of my life (fiddy-one now), to varying degrees. It was particularly hard in Junior High... Once someone changed the combination on my locker, and I walked into class bawling... and I have had occurrences like this all through life. Sometimes it seems to be induced by stress, but not always, and sometimes It does not even seem like the 'appropriate' emotion. Sometimes I get incredibly angry (never turn green and get big muscles... just a throbbing headache, at most). Sometimes I dwell on 'what *other person* must be thinking. And it never seems to be elation, or a relaxed sense of well-being. Always stress, or frustration...

I am in the midst of switching from Paroxitine to Fluoxitine (Anti-Depressants). The first week of that was a hellish week... couldn't tell if I was depressed because I was so dizzy and fuzzy-headed. Then... a brief roller-coaster, mixed amid a post-apocalyptic week of cars problems. (My car, daughter's car, son's car).

I guess I have been blaming much of my emotional turmoil on circumstance, but after several years of the bar lowering like the limbo bar at a Pygmy Luau, I am hoping the med change does something, but now I am not sure what 'routine' even looks like.

Pilgrim
10-04-16, 11:19 AM
This has been an issue lately, it seems to be episodic but there are certain triggers for sure,

It's a pain because life gets hard, but I guess now at least I can think my way out.

Stim meds have given me an insight into my emotional mind, but certain emotional

Bumps will always be there. I find generally when something has a new hue it can be fun or

challenging. How do we approach a real challenge?

I find in the emotional department if I have the right support I feel a lot more stable and

Calm.

Lunacie
10-04-16, 01:35 PM
Support has been very helpful.

A SSRI that works for my anxiety has been very helpful. :yes:

Menopause leveling out the hormonal highs and lows was helpful. :giggle:

The divorce was very, really helpful. ;)

Enough Rope
10-04-16, 03:34 PM
Support has been very helpful.

Hoping for thatů

A SSRI that works for my anxiety has been very helpful. :yes:

I finally am seeing a medical professional that seems to have a clue as to what I am going through... I think she will help me get the meds where I need them.

Menopause leveling out the hormonal highs and lows was helpful. :giggle:

Not an option here.

The divorce was very, really helpful. ;)

My wife and I are working together on things, and hope it will not come to that.

Thanks for the input and encouragement... today seems somewhere between 'numbish' and melancholy...

Lunacie
10-04-16, 06:16 PM
Hoping for thatů

I finally am seeing a medical professional that seems to have a clue as to what I am going through... I think she will help me get the meds where I need them.

Not an option here.

My wife and I are working together on things, and hope it will not come to that.

Thanks for the input and encouragement... today seems somewhere between 'numbish' and melancholy...

For me, the first one and the last one really went together. My ex was not supportive.

Although I didn't have a diagnosis until after the divorce, all the symptoms were somehow my fault. I chose not to remember things, I chose to be too emotional. Blah, blah.

After my divorce my daughter also got a divorce and we moved in together so I could be a stay-at-home-gramma while she worked.

She was much more supportive and tolerant of my symptoms, especially when she began reading about autism and adhd on account of her own kids.

She claims she's the only grown up in the house, which is true some of the time, but she has mild adhd herself.

Enough Rope
10-04-16, 09:40 PM
I am very thankful for my wife; she is dealing with a lot of emotion from things that are a result of my ADD, but she is working hard to be supportive, and I am learning to trust her, even when I want to run and hide from the shame of forgetting again, or having another breakdown...